Movies: Months in Review {June & July 2020}

Baby Mama (2008) ● PG-13

this movie is priceless. these women are legends.

I like this.  Tina Fey and Amy Poehler make as fantastic a team as I expected they would, and I also love seeing Dax Shepard, Greg Kinnear, Steve Martin, and Sigourney Weaver in their roles.  

That said, there are a few instances of what appears to be "casual racism"; and even though those instances aren't framed as good things, they aren't framed as dreadfully serious things, either.  So.  That makes me a little uncomfortable. 

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) ● PG-13

Beasts Of The Southern Wild – FILMGRAB [ • ]

This is very heavy, and the narrative wasn't my favorite.  That said, it was an important one and I'm not aware of another film quite like it.  There were moments that were extremely moving, and lines that got caught in the back of my throat because they were so piercing.  ("This is my favorite thing" almost made me cry.)

Also:  Quvenzhane Wallis is amazing.  It's official.  I'd liked her in Annie (2014), but the fact that she made this movie at the age of 5-6 is extraordinary.  

BlacKkKlansman (2018) ● R

'BlacKkKlansman' Review: Spike Lee Delivers a Hellraising Masterpiece

I watched this in tiny increments, spread out over a couple of weeks.  That wasn't intentional, but it's how it played out, and honestly that may have been a good thing.  It's an excellent film, but emotionally draining (in a good way).  

It makes you tired, as you get another glimpse of the oppression that Black people have been (and still are) experiencing in this country.  It makes you scared, as the 1970s Klan members say things that are eerily similar to things you've heard people say in 2020.  It makes you think.

Hamilton (2020) ● PG-13

When Will the Hamilton Movie Be on Disney Plus?
That's it.  That's the whole show.

YAAASSS. 😀  Broadway came to us, haha!  

I definitely enjoyed this.  The show has been causing a lot of debate, and it's important to be respectful of that.  You can appreciate something for its good qualities without denying that it has flaws or room for improvement, and I think Hamilton may be an example of that.  

In that way, finally getting to watch this was a bit trippy for me.  There's patriotism on one hand, and there's nationalism on the other; and especially now, it can be increasingly difficult to distinguish the two.  So, when experiencing Hamilton, there was some dissonance.  You're watching a dynamic, powerhouse portrayal of America's founding fathers struggling to create a nation, and you're listening to them sing about beautiful ideas that, sadly, have never yet come to fruition in that nation.  Moreover, you're listening to them sing about beautiful ideas in which they themselves, by their actions, proved they did not truly believe.

It's a messy situation, because human beings are messy.  We screw things up.  We commit heinous atrocities that we try to excuse as the customs of our times.  And there is space both to acknowledge the universality of that human frailty and to prosecute it when it crosses certain lines.

Obviously, there's a lot to discuss in that arena, and this isn't really the time or the place, so, to close, I'll just share a few of my favorite lyrics. 😀  These always Hit Different, man:

  • "The moments when you're in so deep, it feels easier to just swim down."
  • "I may not live to see our glory, but I will gladly join the fight."
  • "A civics lesson from a slaver?  Hey, neighbor:  Your debts are paid 'cause you don't pay for labor."
  • "I'm not here for you."
  • "You know, I'm just like my country:  I'm young, scrappy, and hungry, and I am not throwing away my shot."
  • "I hope that you burn."
  • (also pretty much anything that Jonathan Groff sings in the entire show 😂)    

Just Mercy (2019) ● PG-13

The ‘Just Mercy’ movie arrives this Friday.

Again, a critical examination of social justice in America:  both racially and legislatively.  The movie provokes many questions about discrimination in the prison system and about the legitimacy of the death penalty in general.   

Ocean's 8 (2018) ● PG-13

Ocean's 8 (2018) - Rotten Tomatoes

I've been wanting to see this since its first trailers, and I'm glad I finally got to do so.  It wasn't extraordinary, but it wasn't meant to be.  It was meant to be fun, glamorous, and witty, and I think it accomplished all three of those objectives.  The cast is everything I ever needed from a heist movie.

Also, for all my John Mulaney fans out there — meaning you, Katie 😄 — this movie always makes me think of that joke he made several years ago:  the one about how the Ocean's movies wouldn't work with an all-female cast.  HA!  Proved him wrong, didn't they? 😜

Pitch Perfect (2012) ● PG-13

Some told me this song was original to this movie. No. No. Just. No. This song is from The Breakfast Club, you Uncultured Swine.

This was one of those that I'd never actually watched, but essentially knew as well as if I had.  If that makes sense.

I've "kept up" with all the PP films, but hadn't watched any of them all the way through until now.  I'm still interested in seeing the other two at some point, but this one, sadly, didn't impress me.

The cast is still fun; the music is still fun; some of the lines are still fun.  But other elements seem irredeemably tasteless to me; and I'm not referring to the innuendo.  I'm referring to the running vomit gag, to the pratfall cat-fights — that kind of thing.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011) ● PG-13

#26. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011) - Blueprint Pictures

Once again, this one is worth watching for the cast alone; but the story is solid, too, and the aesthetic is gorgeous:  the vibrancy of the colors and the light, the textures, sounds, India . . . exciting and beautiful and a bit cathartic.

Maggie Smith's character development was nice, but it could be argued that her racism should have been more directly condemned/addressed.  Still, as I said, we do see her change.

I thought the way the writers handled the dysfunctional marriage was also pretty good, for a secular film.  Obviously, there's a lot to explore with that, but I think they did well with it. 

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015) ● PG

10 Days Exclusive The Best Exotic #Marigold #Hotel Movie Based Theme #package

There were things I loved about this sequel, but overall it wasn't as good as the first.  I was also a little disconcerted by Richard Gere's character.  The way they try to patch up the relationship between him and Sonny's mother seemed problematic.  "Yeah, I lied to you, but so what?  It wasn't a big lie or anything."  That's what it felt like they were saying.  😬  Which, obviously . . . no, heh.

But, again, there were fun things, too. 

What have you been watching recently?

Comments

  1. was a chilling experience for me, especially watching the footage of the Charlottesville rally at the end. We're still in the same mess, and it ain't getting better. It's getting worse.

    (also, may I just say: relationship goals. and handsome Ben Solo. ;))

    Hamilton is an incredibly "dense" piece of art in its rich layers & layers of commentary on the American experience, past and present. I've seen it live, seen the filmed version, listened to the soundtrack COUNTLESS TIMES and I still don't feel like I've unpacked the whole thing. It's my all-time favorite musical, though, for sure. That much is clear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ***Black KKKlansman, I don't know why that didn't show up haha. I swear I typed it

      Delete
    2. Lol, don't you love Blogger's commenting algorithm?

      Yes. The Charlottesville footage at the end was also very chilling. It's still alive and kicking.

      (It was so fun to see Adam Driver in this role. ;-P)

      Hamilton has so much to say and so much to offer.

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to watch The Beasts of the Southern Wild and BlacKkKlansman! I actually own a copy of the first. They both seem like such powerful films.

    Ocean's 8 is pretty fun! It's one of those movies I'll just watch anytime because I don't get tired of it. :)

    Yeah, Pitch Perfect was disappointing to me. I then made the mistake of watching the second one, which literally is the exact same storyline! They are the movies that got my sister obsessed with Ben Platt, though, so not 100℅ useless. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes!! I'll be interested to get your take on "Beasts," specifically: it's a very unusual film, and I think I need to mull it over some more.

      Yes! I love those kinds of movies, the ones that never get old. :D

      Yikes! I didn't know it was the same plotline in the second one. I'll probably still watch it because I love Hailee Steinfeld so much, but we'll see. ;) And yes! Ben Platt for the win! :D

      Delete
  3. Oooh, Ocean's 8 is one I've been thinking about seeing. Do you have to have watched any of the other movies in the franchise in order for that one to make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. popping in semi-rudely to say:

      I had never seen a single Ocean's movie when I watched Ocean's 8, and it still made total sense and was very enjoyable! There's only a vague connection between it and the rest of the franchise, like ... one dead character who's somebody's brother, or something. All you really need to know is it's a team of ladies who are out to steal some stuff.

      Delete
    2. I don't think you need to have seen the other movies to enjoy Ocean's 8. Granted, I had watched the others, but Katie's backing me up having never seen another Ocean's, so. ;D Like she said, the only connections are some discussions of the main character's family, and a couple cameos of characters from the other films.

      Delete
  4. Ooohh, lots on here that I'd be interested to see! I have seen two, however:
    Ocean's 8: a lot of fun, and one I like to watch for kicks and giggles on occasion. ;) (Also, quite a big cast, which is fun.)

    HAMILTON: Ok, I feel like I want to write a review but then it's so overwhelming to know where to start I keep on putting it off. It's such a HUGE piece and so rich and deep! I really liked it, although there were some parts that weren't my favourite. Altogether, though, I thought it was excellent. And you know, MUSICALS. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coool!

      Yes, exactly. It's just fun. :D

      DO ITTTTT. Yes, there's SO much one could choose to unpack from Hamilton . . . a daunting task, for sure. But, for the record, I would love to read anything you wrote about it. ;)

      Delete
    2. WHOA OKAY I JUST SAW THAT YOU POSTED A REVIEW FOR HAMILTON. I can't wait to read it. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review