Movies: Months in Review {November & December 2020}

Once again, late but hopefully better than never.  I may write one more post about a couple of specific musings on 2020, but I'm not sure.  Either way, this will be one of the last retrospective posts I'll share about 2020; I'm feeling an urge to put it behind me for the time being (as I'm sure many are), and I want to move forward with new content.  

And I think that, for me, part of executing that plan will mean not completing any of the tags I've been passed in recent months.  So, if you're one of the lovely people who tagged me lately — thank you so much!  Please know that I did read and appreciate all of the questions you posed, but for now I think I need to start afresh. 💛


Arranged
(2007) ● Not Rated


This had some painfully unprofessional moments, but I found myself very invested in the two women and the way their friendship evolved.  The story also offered a different and thought-provoking perspective on (consensual) arranged marriage, which I found very valuable as someone interested in that issue. 

Enchanted April (1991) ● PG


Oof.  This one was just weird.  I kept feeling as though we were on the verge of greatness, narratively speaking — there would be moments that kept seeming to press up against the very edge of quiet brilliance.  The story suggested fascinating meditations on female stillness, community, and solitude — but we never quite made it.  So much was left unresolved (or was resolved, but unsatisfactorily).  

(And also?!  I'm sorry but I must protest — Jim Broadbent making out made me waaaaaaay too uncomfortable.  No thank you.  Take it back.)

I'm hoping that I'll like the book better.

Happiest Season (2020) ● PG-13


Watched this for the characters and the Christmas aesthetic; did not regret it.  I could definitely see myself watching this several more times. 

Mulan (2020) ● PG-13


So for the entire first half of this movie, I kept thinking, "Okay, yeah, this is bad." 😂  I'd been very curious as to how I'd feel about it, given the firestorm of controversy it's stirred up.  And I have to say, I don't think it was good.  There are the concerns over the filming locations and the cultural inaccuracies to consider, of course, but even beyond that — from a technical, cinematic standpoint — I find it lacking.  Cheesy dialogue and stilted delivery made for some very cringe moments. 

However, that said, there are a couple of elements that I did appreciate:  I, personally, liked Honghui better than Shang as a romantic partner for Mulan, and I enjoyed their relationship.  I also liked hearing the original's soundtrack incorporated into the remake's score. 

And, as it went on, I did warm to it overall.  But it still gets a lower rating from me. 

Sleepless in Seattle
(1993) ● PG


I tried to watch this years ago, because (as one does), I thought:  "It's Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan!  They're so unspeakably fantastic in You've Got Mail — surely this one must at least be decent!"

Ahem.

My first attempt to watch it failed pretty quickly.  It had too much innuendo for me at the time, but I also found it perplexingly dull.

This past year, however, I was determined to make it all the way through.  'Twas a Classic Rom-Com™, after all, and my love for Hanks and Ryan circa Mail had only grown in the intervening years.  Once again, my cock-eyed optimism got me into trouble, as my assumptions repeated themselves:  Surely — surely — there must be something in this story that I had missed, something which would explain its popularity. 


There . . . there wasn't.  

Y'all.

Why is this movie so popular? 😂  I don't — I don't understand?  Aside from the, you know, literal, actual, objective stalking Meg Ryan's character does (*strong ahems*), the narrative still strikes me as boring.  To me, it seems like this story tried and failed to do what August Rush succeeds in doing — craft a romance that depends on magical realism / suspension of disbelief.  Lots of reasons for that, but this isn't supposed to be a full review, so we'll leave it at that. 

The few things I actually liked about it:  The father-son relationship, the part where Tom Hanks and his brother-in-law (maybe?) start crying over that movie, and all the Affair to Remember moments. 

The Death of Stalin
(2018) ● R


I haven't stopped thinking about this since I watched it.  Black comedy is something that must be executed (heh) in a very specific way in order for me to like it, and this is an example of what works for me.  The filmmakers aren't treating death or torture as something funny:  rather, they are exposing the evil of a dictatorship's frontrunners and using heavily sardonic humor as a means of belittling (and thereby defeating) them.

Craig Bernthal puts it excellently in Tolkien's Sacramental Vision, as he analyzes the significance of Tom Bombadil's levity when dealing with the Ring:  

Laughter can express sheer joy and exuberance, exhilaration, and gratitude at our participation in the order of the Logos.  A closely related laughter arises when we are released from a perception that is incongruous with reality.  Evil wants itself to be taken very, very seriously, and The Ring wants to be taken seriously as a dangerous instrument of power, but the idea of putting the world within the confines of a ring and thereby controlling it is just ridiculous to Tom, who sees it against the vast backdrop of joyful Creation and finds its pretensions ridiculous. . . . When the paltry, having given itself cosmic pretensions, is suddenly seen for what it is, cleansing laughter often comes to those who have been taken in. . . . Weapon and armor both, laughter defies evil, transcends it, shrinks it to its gargoyle proportions.  [ - Chapter 5]

*nods*  Now, that . . . that, I can get behind — when it is done thoughtfully and respectfully in light of the suffering caused by the evil that is being mocked.


How are you all doing?

Comments

  1. My reaction to the 2020 Mulan was opposite to yours, funnily enough--I DID like it overall and find it satisfying/well done, but I did NOT like Honghui as the new love interest. Ain't life a funny thing sometimes? xD

    I've actually seen Sleepless in Seattle!! This was back when I was on a kick of watching what I considered to be "old movies" or "classic movies" out of a vague sense of duty, before I realized that a) I'm more a TV person than a movie person and b) I'm VERY UNLIKELY to enjoy older movies, no matter how many other folks love them.

    And, I did not like it much. ;)

    I just found it kind of meh, the characters, their romance, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mildly appalled that you called a movie that came out when I was 13 "old" and a "classic."

      Delete
    2. I'm soary! xD

      But it came out the year before I was born ...

      Delete
    3. Ha! Ain't life grand? xD

      Lol, you and Hamlette are funny. "You girls keep me young. I love you so much."

      Yep, I was decidedly unimpressed by Sleepless in Seattle . . . but who knows, maybe I'd like it more at a different time.

      Delete
  2. I loved the book The Enchanted April so much when I read it for the first time last year that I am loathe to try a movie version of it because it's just going to fail me. I don't want to watch a movie version of Room with a View for the same reason, really. It will be a disappointment.

    I loved Sleepless in Seattle a lot when I first saw it in my late teens. Still loved it throughout my twenties. Haven't watched it for a while, though. I always especially got a kick out of that scene where Tom Hanks and Rob Reiner are pretending to cry over The Dirty Dozen, though. (Which is a really grand war movie, actually. I like it better than An Affair to Remember...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. I'm still really psyched to try the book; I'm hoping that it will succeed in doing what the film adaptation failed to do. And I sort of expect that it will, based on your review.

      That scene was my favorite in the whole movie! Victor Garber slapping his knee and sobbing "Stop it" was worth the price of admission. xD

      Delete
  3. I meant to watch Sleepless in Seattle around Christmas (at least I think that was it, some of those 90's or whatever rom-coms I mix up), but I didn't, maybe I will or maybe I will save it for next Christmas if that is what I'm thinking of. I sort of skimmed over your review to avoid spoilers but I did catch that you didn't understand how it was popular, I felt similarly about You've Got Mail, it was so blah, it was like Hallmark but marketed as mainstream. I like Hallmark, as Hallmark, but not as a good conventional movie.

    I started the Enchanted April book and then dnf-ed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the 90s rom-coms can be easy to mix up. Ha! I adore You've Got Mail and consider it a cinematic masterpiece, so we'll have to agree to strongly disagree on that one.

      I'm curious to see what I think of the Enchanted April book. I think I'll like it better than the movie, at least.

      Delete
  4. The one of these I know is Mulan, and yeah, I wasn't a fan. Of any of it. Except the credits song. xD It was just very disappointing and in no way, shape or form better than the original. I do agree about the soundtrack being woven in though - that I did appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mulan just didn't work for me? *shrugs* I don't know. The last few remakes haven't worked for me, actually. I still have reallyyyyyy high hopes for The Little Mermaid, though.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, fair.
      Ohh I've been living under a rock!! I didn't know there was a new Little Mermaid coming out?!?! I never really saw the original much but I love Disney and I just looked at the cast and oh my wooord it looks amazing!!! Also even the fact that Lin-Manuel is doing the soundtrack with Alan Menken is unbelievable! The cast, tho - the caaaast!!! :D

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen any of these except Mulan, and I loved it. I had never seen the original animated version, though, so there were no comparisons going on in my head? And I had no expectations on it. I simply loved how beautiful it was, loved the sorceress, and loved Jet Li. It doesn't surprise me, however, that those familiar with the original would experience it differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I don't think I was really comparing the remake to the original, when I disliked the remake? I more just had . . . technical quibbles with it, I guess. But who knows.

      Delete
  6. My family was thinking about watching Arranged, but we haven't had time for it yet...I'm very interested in the topic, but somehow it's never gotten to the top of our list.

    I really don't want to watch the new Mulan. Really, really don't. (But maybe I should? IDK.)

    I actually enjoyed watching Sleepless In Seattle with my family, but that might be partially because a) we had fun making fun of the ludicrous parts and b) we spend a huge amount of time in Seattle, so it's fun to see the familiar landscape. Plus, the kid is cute. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really interested in/passionate about the topic of arranged/forced marriages, too! *high fives* Arranged was interesting. Definitely VERY indie -- and it shows -- but I still found it a productive watching experience.

      Haha, I don't know what to tell you about the new Mulan. Reactions seem very mixed!

      That makes sense. xD I did like the kid in SiS. The kid was cute, you're right.

      Delete
  7. I've never seen it, but my sister loves Sleepless in Seattle and we meant to watch it this year, but didn't get around to it. Honestly, from what I know about the story I don't think that I'll like it. I want to see the new Mulan because I've loved so many of the remakes, but I haven't heard a lot of good about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting to see what you think of Sleepless in Seattle whenever you do get to watch it! I . . . don't know what you'll think of it?

      I've loved some of the remakes, haven't loved others (but am still super excited for them). But Mulan has been a pretty polarizing one, so . . . again, I'm not sure how you'd feel about it!

      Delete
  8. I haven't actually seen any of these, but I think I'd definitely like to watch Happiest Season at some point (despite the fact that it's after the holidays), because I love the cast (especially Alison Brie and Aubrey Plaza). Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like Happiest Season! The cast is all fantastic.

      (And thanks!)

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you also (partly) enjoyed Mulan -- I've only seen negative reviews of it online, but I actually really enjoyed it. (Until I read said negative reviews, which made me revise my initial impression *sigh*) I miss the old love interest, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I’ve just found this blog as well as your other one! I really like both- you have a warm and very intelligent writing tone. I haven’t watched any of these though I’ve NEARLY watched Sleepless in Seattle several times.
    One film I do like which I always associate with it due to the word sleeping in the title is While You were sleeping.
    I think the premise is a little bit creepy (stalker like you mentioned in Sleepless in Seattle😬) but Sandra Bullock is acts well and is very endearing in it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review