Movies I Want to Live In

Hello, my loves!  

I know I still haven't been blogging very regularly, but I would like to get back into the swing of it.  I don't know whether my posting schedule will become any more consistent; my health is still an issue right now and a lot of times I simply don't have the energy to create or publish content on any platform.  (We're working on it, though.  Don't worry. 💛)

However!  I know that Hamlette's Tolkien blog is just around the corner in September, so even if I disappear for another month, I can pretty reliably promise to at least make an appearance once that begins. 😉

For now, here's a fun, lighthearted post dedicated to some of my very favorite movie environments.  

You know how there are some films you just want to immerse yourself in?  Films with aesthetics so inviting, so you that you'd love to step into them and experience them as reality? 

These are mine.   

⸻⸻⸻

Maleficent 
(2014)










Just take my money.

(If you didn't know, arguably my ultimate aesthetic is fairytale forests and grottoes and microcosms.  So the Maleficent movies were essentially made for me.)


Frozen II
(2019)












When I tell you the vibes are IMMACULATE 👌

This movie brings us the best of both worlds:  It's primarily an autumnal story, but we also get some of the wintry aesthetic that made the first movie so appealing.  I love it very deeply and I will not be accepting criticism of it at this or any other time. 
 

The Parent Trap 
(1998)









A) This movie is one of the best ever made; and B) these houses are EVERYTHING.


The Music Man
(2003)







This movie is fluffy, flowery small-town Americana, full of whitewashed, two-storied, many-gabled homes and immaculate picket fences.  It makes me want to sit on a porch swing drinking fresh-squeezed lemonade after a leisurely morning of tending peonies and ivy.


This Beautiful Fantastic
(2017)












Everything is so dewy and quirky and whimsical and botanical.  We love to see it.


My Fair Lady
(1964)










I have never wanted to live in any fictional house as much as I want to live in Henry Higgins's and Mrs. Higgins's.  (Except maybe Elizabeth James's.)

I.  ADORE.  THESE.  HOUSES.  Higgins's study, the guest rooms upstairs, the parlor and grotto in his mom's house . . . *blissful sigh*


The Lord of the Rings:  The Fellowship of the Ring
(2001)







IMLADRIS IS ALL I WANT OUT OF LIFE. 😭

(Actually Ithilien is my favorite Middle-earth location, but Rivendell is SOOOOOO close.  And the movies don't really bring out what I love about Ithilien, which is fine, because they definitely succeed with Rivendell.)


The Swan Princess
(1994)












Okay but Rothbart's castle has been one of my favorite movie locales since literally forever.  I love me a good moon-covered lake sitting in front of crumbling ruins. 


the Barbie movies lol










You can take the girl out of the childhood, but you can't take the childhood out of the girl. 

Seriously, though, some of those Barbie aesthetics slap.  I'm not joking. 


FernGully:  The Last Rainforest
(1992)














SO.  MUCH.  GREEN.  *drools*  I could happily lose myself in this forest as a little nature pixie. 

⸻⸻⸻

Well, that was fun.  I hope you enjoyed it, too. 😉

Now it's your turn!

Which movies make you want to step right into them?


Comments

  1. I could definitely live in Hobbiton or Rivendell. I also love the house and forested area in Cinderella 2012.

    I love seeing Swan Princess mentions, it definitely deserves some more attention!

    I need to put FernGully on my list. Still haven't seen the 2nd Frozen yet either.

    Don't know about the house for myself, but I'd love Eliza's pink dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Cinderella '15 is a good one! Such a beautiful aesthetic.

      Yes! I love The Swan Princess.

      I only watched FernGully for the first time myself a few days ago.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Where would I want to live in a movie...

    Definitely Return of the King...Gondor forever.

    Also probably Frozen II...the autumn is just PERFECT!

    Dead Poet's Society, perhaps? The dark academia vibes are strong.

    Definitely Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone...the great hall? YES PLEASE.

    Probably Tangled, if I'm being honest. XD

    But I love that you want to live in My Fair Lady! The aesthetics of that movie are so great, tbh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle-earth has so many awesome locales.

      YESSS, I love the autumn aesthetic in Frozen II. :D

      Ooh, yes! I can see Dead Poet's Society and Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone having the perfect fall vibes.

      Tangled is a good choice!

      Ahh, yes. My Fair Lady is a favorite on so many levels. <3

      Delete
  3. "I love it [Frozen II] very deeply and I will not be accepting criticism of it at this or any other time." <<< meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    Elsa's arc in the first Frozen movie was so healing for me in such a very direct and concrete way, I didn't expect the second movie to touch me on the same level, even though I definitely expected to enjoy it. But BOY, was I wrong! Elsa's arc in Frozen II was equally relatable and refreshing for me in entirely new ways ... especially how she gets to lay down the weight of everybody's expectations and pursue a role they would never have imagined her in. And yet, the moment she shows up living her new identity as "the fifth spirit," it's SO CLEARLY the life she was meant for, it's IMPOSSIBLE to imagine her doing anything else. [That new outfit alone? #glowup goals]

    *sniffles pathetically* I was Comforted, y'all. I felt Validated.

    This post was a wonderful idea! I loved getting this glimpse into your ideal fictional home! I'm seeing lots of soft, lush, green forests and gentle moonlit nights, which is *chef's kiss* perfectly suited to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, GIRL.

      I can always count on you to back me up on Frozen. :D YES! Both sisters have such wonderful arcs in both movies. I definitely find Elsa's conflict in the first movie much more personally relatable; but, at the same time, I love the second movie significantly more. They're both great, though!

      (AND THAT NEW OUTFIT. YES.)

      Awwwwwwwww, thank you!! I love all these worlds. :D

      Delete
  4. What a great post idea!! I enjoyed this so much; especially all the aesthetics. I love Rivendell too and would LOVE to vacation there for a short time, but I could never live there. I'd get stir-crazy and feel so out of place. I'm not an Elf in any respect. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post.

      Haha, I understand that. If I had to choose one place to live in Middle-earth, it would be Ithilien, because it blends a lot of what I love from both Rivendell and the Shire (which are my two second favorites ;D). What's your favorite Middle-earth locale?

      Delete
  5. the VIBES of this post i'm in LOVE

    do I have any interest in running a vineyard? no. would i give up everything to live at Parker Knoll? in a heartbeat.

    also Frozen II and the Barbie movies, I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSS

      Girl I feel. Parker Knoll is a dream.

      Animated fairytale vibes for the win.

      Delete
  6. All of these pictures are gorgeous : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous choices! Love this so much, might have to do a post like this.
    Such a fun idea! Also need to go watch Maleficent again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes, you should do one of these posts, Skye! I'd love to see that.

      Maleficent is awesome. <3

      Delete
  8. Yup, this whole post was filled with images that make me think "Olivia should live here!" :-) Such a fun idea for a post!

    Hmmm. I've always wanted to live in the original Parent Trap, in the ranchy house in California. Also, that big house in Westchester, NY, where Charles Xavier has his School for Gifted Youngsters is enchanting and marvelous -- I can almost smell all that woodwork and the books and the handsome mutant Canadians with claws...

    Ahem.

    Anyway, I nominated you for the Sunshine Award here today :-) Play if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's so fun. :) Thank you!

      All wood-paneled, book-filled, spacious old houses are enhanced with the addition of handsome mutant Canadians. It's just science.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry you're not feeling good. Hope you're okay. x
    This post was beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Happy sigh* I love this post. Such an important topic that's hunted me since I was a child. Your choices are amazing, I totally second them. And now I feel a strong need to watch "The Swan Princess." Never seen it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, I hope you're feeling better. <3

    Yes, there are all very much Olivia aesthetic haha xD
    I'm definitely with you on The Parent Trap houses - I'll be right over shortly, just need to finish packing my suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! <3

      Haha, yes, we've got an early flight and lots to see, so do hurry. xD

      Delete
  12. I never commented on all this eye candy?? What is wrong with me!?

    Yes to so many of these. Especially This Beautiful Fantastic, Frozen II, The Parent Trap, and My Fair Lady. Now I really REALLY want to see Maleficent even though once I do I will probably never leave that magical place. *all the heart eyes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I apparently never responded?? My b.

      Ahhhh, I love Maleficent. For so many reasons, not the least of which is the magical aesthetic. ;)

      Delete
  13. I also would LOVE to live in the world of LOTR and Maleficent, the aesthetics for both of them are so beautiful.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review