Lovely Blog Party | My Comfort Couples

What-ho, all!  I come to you on this fine sunny Sunday just in time to squeeze in one more post for Cordy's Lovely Blog Party before it ends tomorrow.  


I wanted to pay tribute to a special class of my favorite fictional couples:  my "comfort" couples, the ones who make me feel safe and happy and at home whenever they're onscreen.  The ones who make my face break out into a big sappy grin when they meet for the first time, because I know everything that's coming in their story and can't wait to watch it unfold again.  The ones who may not always be the absolute "deepest," but who soothe and entertain me nonetheless.  The ones who are just plain adorable, who are so extremely wholesome that they elicit grins and squeeps and covered-face glee simply by being their pure and charming selves.

This list isn't exhaustive — there are several more couples I love who meet some or all of these criteria — but it's a start.  Here are just a few of the couples who make me lean back with a sigh of relief and contentment — or lean forward with a gigantic grin — when they walk onto my screen.

(And accompanying fan videos, of course.  Because fan videos make everything better.)



Charlie + Sophie
Letters to Juliet

This couple is summer and sunlight and Italian countrysides and green leaves and marble statues and pools and vineyards and roadtrips and light cotton dresses and sunglasses and generational friendships and rearview glances and found family and all things yellow and golden and good.


Penelope + Johnny
Penelope

This couple is color and whimsy and bubbles and street fairs and horticulture and chess games and poker chips and mismatched clothing and self-acceptance and growth and cityscapes and twinkle lights and newsrooms and theaters and scarves and pianos and bright fall days and park swings.


Emma + Killian
Once Upon a Time

This couple is skepticism and trust and sarcastic smirks and leather jackets and bright autumn sunshine and daggers and satchels and beanstalks and ship cabins and compasses and yellow Volkswagens and small-town pavement and fairytale pages and castle halls and soft smiles and second chances and sweaters and pancakes.


Jane + Jack
Mary Poppins Returns

This couple is childhood crushes and hopeful smiles and team efforts and London in the spring and fluffy clouds and cherry blossoms and nighttime hijinks and row houses and bike rides and chimney soot and suffrage banners and cobblestones and park lawns and sunshine and balloons.


Lane + Zack
Gilmore Girls

This couple is rock-and-roll bands and starter apartments and pizza and movies and CDs and guitars and unlikely friendships and hair extensions and drum sets and small-town living and grocery bags and baby bottles and tour buses and goofy smiles and unconventional first dates and pawn shop rings. 


Lily + Frank
Jungle Cruise

This couple is Amazonian adventure and reluctant partnerships and wide-brimmed hats and vintage cameras and quick grins and cartography and sketchbooks and stolen glances and riverboats and tropical flowers and jungle wildlife and rope vines and banter and trust exercises and bear hugs. 


Shengnan + Jin
This Is Not What I Expected

This couple is fine cuisine and gleaming kitchen surfaces and chaotic encounters and opposites attracting and oversized sweaters and immaculate suits and open-air markets and rainstorms and umbrellas and hot pots and bay windows and spring bike rides and quirkiness and sunsets.


Han + Leia
Star Wars

This couple is nostalgia and bickering and spaceships and politics and starry skies and control panels and blaster guns and gold medallions and personal growth and rebel bases and miscommunication and stubbornness and optimism and rich warm tones and forest moss and braided hair and forehead kisses.



Your turn!
Who are your "comfort" couples?

Comments

  1. This post gives me all the warm fuzzies, as God and Nature intended. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Jeeves; very right and proper -- as, indeed, God and Nature intended. <3

      Delete
  2. Love your descriptions of the couples! Off the top of my head, some of my comfort couples are Julian and Emma (The Dark Artifices), Anne and Gilbert (Anne of Green Gables), Kaz and Inej (Six of Crows), aaamd now I’m blanking on any more XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes Anne and Gilbert I love too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Hailey! Anne of Green Gables is one of my comfort shows. <3

      Delete
  3. I love Penelope and Johnny - one of my favourite James McAvoy characters. Think my favourites though are Matt and Jenna in 13 Going on 30, or Jack and Lucy in While You Were Sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Such a great movie. Ahhh, you chose two great couples, too!

      Delete
  4. What ho! I must say I adore You’ve Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle is also great (and reminds me why I love 90s fashion so much)

    What a fun post!
    ~ Miss Winifred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've Got Mail is one of my favoritest things. <33

      Thanks, Miss Winifred!

      Delete
  5. Aww! I love Sophie and Charlie as well as Penelope and Johnny, and really I just love both of those films as a whole. They're so good. :) Thanks so much for your recent(ish) visits to Finding Wonderland. Apologies it took me so long to visit here, but I appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Oh, you're most welcome -- I've enjoyed your posts! And thank you for stopping by, as well.

      Delete
  6. I could have sworn that I commented on this already, but it appears not. Huh.

    I'm going to be showing my mom Letters to Juliet this week, and I can't wait to see it again myself! I really liked Sophie and Charlie together :-)

    Han and Leia are just... always going to make me happy :-)

    I got the hugest kick out of the first 2/3 of Jungle Cruise! My goodness, it's such a study in how two sassy characters can spark absolute joy in the audience. And then the movie devolved into dumb '90s-Nickelodeon-icky nonsense at the end, but yeah, Frank and Lily were fantastic.

    I am tagging you with the "Pick My Movie Tag" here. Play if you want to :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens, it happens.

      Ahh, hope she loves it! It's such a sweet, soft movie. :)

      SAME. <3 I need to watch some Star Wars soon. It's been a while.

      Jungle Cruise may very well end up being my favorite movie watched in 2022. I spent the entire 2-hour runtime grinning like a fool, which is saying something since I had Covid at the time. Lol, I don't love "the twist" myself, but at the same time, it also manages to take a trope I'm never able to take seriously and soooooort of convince me, so, it's a toss-up for me. *shrugs* But regardless, YES: Frank and Lily are fantastic and I adore them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review