Festive Film Recs of the Merry and Not-So-Merry Variety


Season's greetings, everyone!  

Craving alllllll the Christmas-y movies but finding yourself in a rut?  Hopefully this post can help.  I'm going to share some of the films I most associate with this time of year.  I've mixed in a few that don't really have anything to do with Christmas but that are set primarily or partially during the holiday season, and I'm also including some dramatic/tragic options in case you're looking for something a little less holly-jolly.  

I've added a one-line blurb for each story and listed each film's MPAA rating.  We're ranging from the scrupulously clean 'Not Rated's to the adults-only 'R's, so do your own research before popping any of these into the DVD player for family movie night, sight unseen.

Caveats concluded and without further ado, then, here they are:  some of my favorite films to watch during the Yuletide.  (Listed alphabetically, 'cause there's no way I'm taking the time to rank these for you.)


A Christmas Story (1983) ● PG


As his middle-class family navigates the holidays, nine-year-old Ralphie desperately tries to figure out how to persuade his parents to buy him the toy at the top of his Christmas list.

One of those '80s classics that everyone's already seen, but I'm including it anyway because I still think it's fun every now and then.  It has some hilarious moments, but also a few genuinely cute ones.  It's your typical "dysfunctional American family catastrophizing their way through the Christmas season back in the day" plot, but you do get the sense that there's love in that home underneath all the chaos, which is sweet.

Barbie in The Nutcracker (2001) ● G


Clara's aunt gifts her a special toy on Christmas Eve, but Clara is soon swept into an unexpected adventure when the toy comes to life at midnight.

One thing about me is I'm a Nutcracker girlie.  I'll eat up any iteration you give me.  Mattel's version features low-quality animation, chaotically hilarious dialogue, and heaps of nostalgia.  Everything, in other words, is exactly as it should be.

Desk Set (1957) ● NR


A corporation's attempts to modernize threaten the job stability of its reference librarians and complicate a developing friendship.

A slow, simple older film about a television network trying to implement the first iteration of a computer system.  There's nothing much to it, but Katharine Hepburn elevates it as she always does, and the old-timey "Christmas in the big city" atmosphere is there.  I enjoy it.

Eloise at Christmastime (2003) ● TV-G


Precocious six-year-old Eloise, who lives in New York's posh Plaza Hotel with her nanny, tries to ensure that everyone at the hotel gets the Christmas they deserve.

Richard B. Smith:  "To face unafraid — "

Eloise and Bill:  *aggressive headbanging*

This is basically a Hallmark movie for kids, and you know what?  It's fantastic.  Exactly as light and sugary and colorful and funny as a happy Christmas film should be.  And Bill and Rachel are cute, idc.  (That moment when her dad sees him twirling around in the snow after their date?  QUALITY CONTENT.  Sublime stuff.)

Holiday (1938) ● NR


A carefree plebeian clashes with his wealthy new fiancee and her straitlaced father, but finds sympathy in her siblings.

Christmas carols and holiday parties and New Year's shenanigans, oh my.  The comedic/romantic chemistry between Grant and Hepburn has never failed me yet; I love to watch them play off of each other.  This is a satisfying seasonal flick.  (Albeit one that does occasionally reek of upper-class privilege. 😂)

Little Women (1994) ● PG


The four March sisters come of age against the backdrop of new friendships, sibling rivalries, budding romances, impending losses, and the conclusion of the Civil War. 

Multiple Christmas scenes, a generally festive color palette, and an overall spirit of coziness, camaraderie, and celebration aren't the only reasons why the 1994 is my favorite adaptation of Little Women.  They are, however, the primary reasons why it's a good candidate for Yuletide movie nights.

Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) ● NR?


The Smith siblings love their life in St. Louis and spend their time engaging in playful antics and romantic schemes, but their father's impending job change threatens their tranquility.

This movie neither begins nor ends during the holidays, but what with the iconic "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" scene, it's hard to not think of it as a Christmas movie.  It also has a very jewel-toned color scheme throughout that helps to maintain the holiday illusion, even during summer-set scenes:  lots of rich, warm reds, browns, blues, greens, and golds.  Moreover, the Smiths are such a wholesomely close-knit family that you can't help but get swept up in the jollity of their daily life — a rather perfect vibe for the festive season.

Moonstruck (1987) ● PG


Complications ensue when a superstitious widow tries to reconcile her new fiance and his estranged brother.

This movie is . . . a trip.  Par for the course for a John Patrick Shanley offering, it's random, chaotic, and absurd, but also strangely entertaining.  The characters are preposterous and problematic — there's not a single good decision-making ability in sight — but they're somehow a little endearing anyway.

And it does hit the Christmas-y spot for me, because the story takes place during the holiday or at least the winter season (I can't guarantee it, but I seem to recall a twinkly tree or two).  The wintry city vibes are definitely vibing.  It's also pretty family-centric, which adds a touch of holiday relevance.

All of that said, it is, unfortunately, one of those stories which attempt to normalize cheating on your partner (with his brother) Because Fate™, but it's all semi-resolved in the end.  Still, keep in mind that the PG rating is from the '80s.  The sexual content is never graphic, but there is a decent bit of it, probably (but possibly not) enough to warrant a PG-13 rating by today's standards.

Penny Serenade (1941) ● NR


On the cusp of ending her marriage, a grieving woman looks back on the trajectory of the relationship and wonders if there is any hope for its redemption.

Know what pairs really well with Christmas-y festivities?  EMOTIONAL DAMAGE.  Look no further than this black-and-white film (featuring an uncommon dramatic turn by Cary Grant) for all your Yuletide heartbreak needs.

Seriously, I just re-watched this for the first time in years, and I can confirm that it's . . . it's rough.  Sweet, but rough.  It'll really deck your halls, if you know what I mean.

This is one of those that have barely anything to do with Christmas, but there is a significant New Year's Eve party early on, and a Christmas pageant plays an important role in the story at the end.

Spencer (2021) ● R


Princess Diana wrestles with her demons during the royal family's Christmas holiday at Sandringham.

Highly stylized and psychedelic, this one is a good candidate when you want a movie with festive visuals but a grittier storyline.  It's wispy, dark, and sparkling by turns.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) ● R


A bored writer spends time with an elderly loner who recounts the adventures he had as a youngster, working as a lobby boy at the illustrious Grand Budapest Hotel under the mentorship of the infamous and eccentric Monsieur Gustave.

No, there are no Christmas scenes in this movie (from what I recall), but I'm including it on this list because the entire thing looks like a gingerbread house.  With its wintry setting and highly contrived, colorized visuals, it lends itself well to Yuletide viewings, I think.

The Lion in Winter (1968) ● PG


When King Henry II brings his wife, Eleanor of Aquitane, out of exile for the Yuletide, the estranged couple grapples with the complexity of their relationships with one another and with their three rivalrous sons.

With less than three weeks left for anything to unseat it, this historical* drama that I watched in January remains the best new-to-me film I've seen (so far) in 2023.  It's a great choice if you're craving those medieval Christmas vibes, reminiscent of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight sans the symbolically significant mythical creatures.   Or if you're seeking solidarity with your own family's holiday dysfunction — 'cause honey, if you think you've got problems . . . 

*'Historical,' here, is used loosely, as the story is certainly not very factually accurate.  But it is A Vibe™, and personally, I think that matters more in this instance.

The Nativity Story (2005) ● PG


Following King Herod's census edict, Mary and Joseph travel to Bethlehem while wrestling with the world-shattering revelation of the Annunciation.

Everyone has their own feelings and degrees of pickiness when it comes to fictionalized depictions of biblical stories.  Personally, I think The Nativity Story does it wonderfully.  A beautiful, sobering, uplifting portrayal of Advent, with an incredible soundtrack to boot.  (Seriously, Mychael Danna was not messing around.)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018) ● PG


A young girl grieving the loss of her mother is transported to a magical world during her godfather's Christmas Eve party and soon becomes involved in a fight to free the land from tyranny.

This movie isn't going to win any substantive awards anytime soon, but it's very satisfying to my Nutcracker-loving self.  Its extravagant visuals perfectly recall the classic ballet and provide a fantastical (if unoriginal) adventure "for the whole family".  Meanwhile, there's a saving undercurrent of sadness threading through its plot and providing some needed moments of quiet. 

The Thin Man (1934) ● PG


A retired, recently married private detective agrees to take a new case, with the support of (and a bit of amusement from) his wife.

Mysteries aren't my thing, but I've enjoyed all four of the Thin Man movies I've watched so far.  This first one takes place during the Christmas season, and while it's not at all a Christmas story, you do get some cute, twinkly little 1930s Yuletide vibes when you watch it.  (Exhibit A:  tinsel-adorned Tannenbaum in background.)

And, as an aside, the main couple is adorable and wholesome and everything that married fictional couples always ought to be but so rarely are.

While You Were Sleeping  (1995) ● PG


After rescuing her crush from a near-death experience, a lonely subway worker becomes the object of a massive misunderstanding and finds herself falling for his family in all of their quirky, caring glory.

An endlessly satisfying rom-com.  All of the characters, even the "bad" ones, are so lovable.  The holiday setting only enhances the story; it doesn't distract from or compensate for a shaky foundation.  (I mean, the premise wouldn't really hold up in real life, obviously, but the character dynamics more than make up for that.)

White Christmas (1954) ● NR


Flush with the success of their show-biz act, veteran pals Bob and Phil stumble into cahoots with the Haynes sisters, rising stars who help them mount an extravagant Christmas production at the inn of the boys' former commanding officer.

Without the military general subplot, White Christmas would still be cute, but perhaps a bit vapid.  With it, it boasts some genuinely emotional moments.  A classic that might seem overhyped, but is still worth a watch.  The players in the two couples each have decent (if different) chemistry with each other.


Merry Christmas!
Which movies would you add to this list?



Comments

  1. A lovely-looking selection! Thank you for the recommendations :)

    Merry Almost-Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lothiriel! I so appreciate all your comments recently. :) Merry Almost-Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Seasonal Felicitations! Yay for the Nutcracker! I've never seen a film version, but I have fond (and some not-as-fond . . .) memories of being in it with my studio.

    I've seen a grand total of one movie on this list--Little Women! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuletide salutations, Ruth! Ach, yes -- I have fond childhood memories of watching my sister/various friends perform in the Nutcracker. I can well believe yours are a mixed bag, haha!

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Eloise at Christmastime is a superior film. You have excellent taste, m'dear.

    Fully agree about Nutcracker and the Four Realms. Was it perfectly plotted? No! Was it a thoroughly delightful time? Yes!

    Also, I love how you were like "Christmas movie recs! :) :) :)" and then went ahead and hit us with THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU. M'dear Natalie introduced me to it several years ago, and it's a seasonal staple, now. I love it.

      Exactly! Glad you got a kick out of Four Realms as well. This year I re-watched it while assembling a thrifted Lego Nutcracker set, and it's one of my favorite memories of this holiday season so far.

      HAHA, yes, yes, gotta throw a curveball in there to keep y'all on your toes. xD

      Delete
  4. When I was little I was like, whatever, not A Christmas Story again. But yeah, now that I’m older, I see the subtle sweet and cute moments between the craziness.

    I feel like I’ve watched part of Desk Set…I should really see all of it because it’s been ages since I’ve seen anything with dear Kate in it.

    For reals, Bill twirling in the snow has my whole heart and I will accept no less. That was how it was when I was younger, and watching Eloise again last year I was like, yep, still the most stinking adorable thing I’ve ever seen.

    I knew Holiday had Kate but CARY?? Must see at once.

    Meet Me in St. Louis is in my tippy top favorite Christmas movies but I can never find anyone who also knows it. So yay! Yay that I’ve found you! :D My sister and I aggressively yell “I love you!” at each other in intimidation of Warner. And it’s one of those that so perfectly captures family dynamics, ack, I LOVE IT.

    The one thing that I got out of the 20 minutes I saw of The Lion in Winter was gratitude that I’m not that family. And that’s why I had to quit watching it because it was stressing. Me. Out. So. Much. I was basically begging the characters to stop yelling at each other. Buuuuuut, if you were to give more thoughts on why you love it so much then I would consider trying it again. ;)

    I adore The Thin Man because of my classy lady and gent. I would love to see it on the big screen and I know the perfect theater…if only I could convince them…

    I just showed one of my friends White Christmas for the first time and being in a dorm lounge, we got a bit of a crowd going at times, which was immensely satisfying. XD

    Goodness, sorry, I didn’t realize I was leaving such a long comment. XD Merry Christmas, m’dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that! I don't think I loved it the first time I saw it, either.

      I enjoy Desk Set -- like I said, nothing much to it, but it's a good candidate for festive background noise.

      "Bill twirling in the snow has my whole heart" << SAME, it's magnificent. As you said, it's "the most stinking adorable thing".

      Yes! The dream team, together again!

      AHHHH, haha, I love that! Warner's "I LoVe YoU!" kills me every single time. xD Love that you and your sister do that. Yes! I love how MMISL latches onto what makes families tick.

      Hehe, yeahhhhh, the dysfunction is off the charts with Lion. Ooh, perhaps I shall, perhaps I shall. ;) Theoretically, I'll be sharing my top ten new-to-me movies soonish, so there should be a few more comments on that film in that post, at least.

      They're ~the epitome of class~. Ooh, a big-screen showing would be quite jolly.

      That's so satisfying!! Love it when a crowd gathers for a movie. :D Did your friend like it?

      NEVER apologize for a long comment! Always makes my day. :D Merry Christmas, dear friend!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm definitely an oddball because I haven't seen a lot of the "classic" Christmas movies (A Christmas Story? Nope. It's A Wonderful Life? Somehow, still, no. I just watched Home Alone for the first time last week...and I'm 20 years old. XD) but I super enjoyed this post, and have watched more of these than I'd expected!

    Desk Set looks like it's a lot of fun, and I remember LOVING the Eloise books as a kid, so I'm sure I'd really love Eloise at Christmastime...oh and I do really need to watch Meet Me In St. Louis one of these days.

    The Nativity Story is one that my family watches every year! It's definitely irrevocably bound up with Christmas in my mind. As I've gotten older, I've gotten more and more dissatisfied with their portrayal of Mary (defiant slightly angsty teenager is really not what springs to mind when I think of her in general, lol) at least in the first half of the movie, buuuut Joseph is AMAZING and the Mary portrayal does improve throughout the film. In my opinion. :)

    I just watched While You Were Sleeping with my siblings this past week...SUCH a comfort movie, and such a funny movie, too. (In retrospect, perhaps I shouldn't have shown it to the 9yo, but che sera sera.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I understand! I haven't seen a lot of the "classic" 80s/90s Christmas movies, if that makes sense. For example, I just saw Christmas Vacation for the first time this past November. So I'm right there with you, hehe. Glad you enjoyed the post! Thanks for commenting!

      Yes! Eloise, especially, is a barrel of fun and definitely puts you in the Christmas spirit. And St. Louis is charming!

      Yesss, I love Nativity! As do my parents and one of my brothers. But unfortunately, the rest of the family . . . doesn't, haha. So, we're trying to figure out a time to watch it this year, lol. I totally get what you mean about Mary -- I felt the same way about her when I was younger. I think the last time I watched it, I found her portrayal more appropriate/realistic considering everything she was going through with an unwanted arranged marriage, etc. I'm curious to see how I feel about her whenever I next watch it, because it's been a while. And yes, Joseph is fantastic and either way, Mary's arc throughout the film is awesome!

      WYWS is a WONDERFUL movie. Ack. Love it to death. (Haha! Well, any little bits of innuendo hopefully went right over the 9yo's head. Lol!)

      Delete
  6. Desk Set is a hoot! Man, I haven't seen that in like 20 years, but I watched it repeatedly in college.

    Little Women (1994) has alllllllll the nostalgic feels for me. Love it to bits.

    My kids were obsessed with Meet Me in St. Louis for a couple years. We even called my youngest Tootie for a while there because she loved that movie and character so much!

    I kind of forgot that Moonstruck takes place around Christmas. Weird and yet loveable and huggable movie.

    I love the Thin Man movie so much. The first is the best, but the rest are such fun. Just rewatched Shadow of the Thin Man this weekend, so watch for a review soonish! Nick and Nora are #MarriedLifeGoals, for sure.

    While You Were Sleeping is one of my top favorite movies of all time. And has been since I saw it in a second-run theater with my teen friends so many years ago. I adore it.

    Obviously, I love White Christmas. It's basically my entire personality, but as a movie.

    I've seen bits of A Christmas Story and never wanted to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun! Kind of a hidden gem.

      SAME. <3333 Claire Danes's Beth has my whole heart, and the overall vibe and aesthetic and SOUNDTRACK for the '94 version are just . . . *blissful sigh*

      Ha! That's awesome. Tootie is a riot. "She has four fatal diseases!"

      Okay, so I didn't just hallucinate that Moonstruck is set during Christmas? Good. That's reassuring. xD And 100% -- it's a very "weird yet loveable and huggable movie".

      Yesh! I doubt I ever would have watched the Thin Man movies if it hadn't been for your recommendation, so thanks! I had a great time with them.

      AS IT SHOULD BE. While You Were Sleeping is just . . . so good.

      "It's basically my entire personality, but as a movie" -- I love that! WC is so fun.

      Bits and pieces are all you really need to watch of ACS to get its gist.

      Delete
  7. Greetings, one and all. I realise this is rather random on this Christmas-themed post, but I wasn’t sure where else to put this… so, here goes. This is Lothíriel, by the way, only I’ve now got a blogspot account! This blog will mainly be for my writings and book reviews, and if you’d be so kind I’d really appreciate it if you’d check it out. Forgive me for this advertise-y comment, and perhaps deign to click on the link below? Thank ye very much and have a Merry Friday.

    https://inklingcorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Astrya! Thank you for linking your blog! I'm still looking forward to exploring it more and commenting, hopefully soonish!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review