February Blog Parties || Q&A, But Make It Romantic

"Aww."  "Aww."

What-ho, all!  I'm currently participating in not one, but two delightful, romantical online events:  Cordy's Lovely Blog Party and Heidi's Valentine's Day Period Drama Party.  As such, it is my plain duty to fill out the tags that both ladies have so graciously provided. 

Let's begin!



Would you ever go for a walk in the pouring rain to avoid the company of a gentleman caller?

Oh, I absolutely would.  The lengths to which I will go to avoid encountering someone I do not wish to see are truly remarkable.  

(And that's not even a tiny bit sarcastic.  I have been known to resort to tactics which could even be termed deceitful.)

these are precisely the awkward sorts of
situations we wish to avoid, people.

Would you ever, truly, try your hand at matchmaking?

I guess it depends on your definition of matchmaking.  Would I manipulate logistics and what-not to encourage favorable tete-a-tetes between two people whom I know are interested in each other?  Yes, depending on the circumstances.

Would I do that with no body of evidence even suggesting that the two people are interested in each other?  I don't think so.

I'd have a line over which I would not pass in the name of matchmaking, is what I'm trying to say here.

Would you be comfortable wearing glass slippers for a night out at a ball?

Nope.


Would you ever eat an apple given to you, rather forcibly, by a perfect stranger?

I can't think of any plausible situation in which I would, no.

Would you ever pretend to be a man's fiancée who you've never actually met?

Maaaaaybe.  Depending, once again, on the circumstances. 😉

Would you ever dance with a stranger that sang to you in a forest?

I mean, certainly not in the forest when he was still a stranger.  But, as we addressed earlier, it's highly unlikely that he would ever have had the chance to serenade me to begin with, because, as a general rule, the moment I caught sight of a stranger in the woods I would gracefully abscond myself to avoid unwanted interaction. 

Would you ever be the one to propose?

I can't see myself ever doing this, but I am in full support of any woman who is so inclined.

like Juliet, for example. 

Would you ever visit the house of a man you refused but is supposedly out of town?

Nope.  There are no grounds handsome enough to tempt me. 


❀ Heidi's Questions 

1) Your current three (or up to five!) favorite period dramas?

My #1 favorite, absolutely, is the 2008 adaptation of Sense and Sensibility.  After that, as of now, we'll say Wives and Daughters, Skylark, Little Women (1994), and Anne of Green Gables:  The Sequel.  


2) What would you recommend to someone who’s never seen a period drama as a starter?

Ooh, I love this question!

So, if it's someone who has no experience whatsoever with the genre, and no preconceptions or predispositions, then I'd suggest the 2005 Pride and Prejudice.  It's visually gorgeous, with a more mainstream cast and an accessible storyline and narrative style.  Plus, it's the most "classic" period drama plot, so it's probably best to get it out of the way at the beginning.

If, however, it's someone who's skeptical of the genre, perhaps someone who wants to try it but is worried that they'll tire of its incessant romanticism, then I'd recommend either Belle (2013) or North and South (2004).  Both of them center around important social justice issues, with the love stories taking more of a passenger seat.  They explore real politics, not just those of the parlor variety.  (And, of course, they're also just dang fine shows, any way you look at it.)


3) A favorite couple that wouldn’t be included in answer #1 (cause I’m figuring those are already top favorites ;)) and/or a favorite secondary character romance? 

Funny you should ask!  Stay tuned for a post on the subject. 😉

4) What do you consider foundational qualities for a healthy romance? 

The same as the majority of people do, I suppose.  Compatibility, understanding, integrity.  Philosophical and moral accord.  

Beyond that, we venture into foundational qualities for an individually healthy romance.  Every couple is different and will rely on different characteristics. 


5) Worst villain/antagonist?

Probably James Ashford from Belle.  He's a racist rapist, so.

6) A favorite proposal scene?

Proposal scenes aren't generally my favorites, but the end of Far from the Madding Crowd (2015) is a notable exception. 


Lizzy and Darcy could never. 

7) Favorite period drama characters based on a real life couple?

I was going to say Dido and John from Belle, but Ivy Miranda used Elizabeth and Philip from The Crown, and I have to agree!  Specifically Elizabeth.  Claire Foy's performance in that role has my whole heart. 


8) Any classic b/w period dramas you like?

It depends on how strictly you're classifying "period dramas" . . . if the likes of The Philadelphia Story count, then very much so.  If not . . . eh.  I don't tend to love b/w movies set earlier than the period in which they were filmed, if that makes sense.

9) Most mature romance in a period drama? (mature as in age and/or characters who are consciously and wisely ripened by life experience, etc.)

I feel like there's an obvious answer that I'm going to remember two weeks after posting this, but it hasn't made itself known to me at the present moment.  Thusly, I'm going with Amy and Arthur from Little Dorrit.  There's a Rather Significant age gap, but what else is new in the period romance world?  Even so, Amy is an extraordinarily mature young woman — though it's really quite sad that she is, given the circumstances which forced her to be so — and Arthur is the definition of a Decent Upstanding Chap.  They've both achieved the tricky balance of being willing to put others before themselves, without having any nonsensical ideas of martyrdom about pursuing their own happiness when they can do so in good conscience.  (That is, Arthur has a few such moments, but that's just him being a silly boy and we will forgive it.)  This, to me, is a solid proof of genuine maturity:  selflessness without self-torment.

So, in general, I think they're fairly evenly matched.  Not perfectly, but fairly. 


10) Most excruciatingly long, slow burn romance in a period drama?

See, my issue here is that I personally usually only consider a romance "slow burn" if it's extremely gradual for both parties, and the majority of conflicts in period romances arise because one knows many moons before the other that they're in love.  

I guess one of the closest to slow burn that I can think of is Amy and Laurie from Little Women:  I'm sure Amy had a crush on him as a child, but I don't think she actually loved him romantically until adulthood.  And, obviously, Laurie was preoccupied for some little while, mooning over Jo.

cuties.

11) A story that has multiple film adaptations where you love more than one of them?

Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, for sure!  I can never quite decide which is my favorite of any of those.  (Although in JE's case it's probably the 2011 movie.)

12) A book you think needs to be made into a film (or a new adaptation)?

In My Father's House!  I need it!  (I even made a dream cast for it a few years ago, by which I firmly stand.) 


But Greenwillow could also be nice as a film, although they'd have to be careful to properly capture its unique feel in order to retain the magic and coziness. 


And that's it for now!  As mentioned, stay tuned for at least one more post on this romantical theme, coming in a day or two. 😉😘

Comments

  1. "The lengths to which I will go to avoid encountering someone I do not wish to see are truly remarkable." Same, same, same. xD

    OOoh! May I surmise we will be treated to a secondary-characters-romance post soon? ;)

    I STILL NEED THAT "IN MY FATHER'S HOUSE" MOVIE and your dream cast would be epiccccccccc and basically I want it to happen so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are Introvert, hear us Whisper. xD

      Hee hee! Actually, in addition to my favorite couples list referenced in this post, I'm considering an "alternative couples" post. ;)

      YESSSSSSSSSSSS. <3

      Delete
    2. Fear Our Whisper xD

      "Alternative couples," I'm very intrigued!!

      Delete
  2. Aw, that picture of Beatrice and Benedict is so cute! <3 Nice answers all around!

    "There are no grounds handsome enough to tempt me." <--- XD Love it!

    Excellent answer for Amy and Laurie! I've never shipped him and Jo because I've just loved how well Amy's and his characters work together. They always make me so happy. <3 (I also REALLY looooove Jo and Pr. Bhaer, but that's a discussion for another day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? They're so funny. xD Thank you!

      xD xD

      Yes! I love the way the couples work out in Little Women. <333

      Delete
  3. "There are no grounds handsome enough to tempt me." Well said ;) and I totally agree!!

    And Belle is a solid first-timer choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the GIFs!
    And, yes, Amy and Laurie! I really love them as a couple.
    "The lengths to which I will go to avoid encountering someone I do not want to see are truly remarkable." Ok, honestly, same. If I don't want to see you....you won't see me (well, probably, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had fun picking them out.

      Yes! Laurie & Amy are great. <3

      Exactly. xD

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I think we're friends mainly because we can trust each other never to show up unannounced, and also to not get mad if the other person just ran away and hid in a tree because they weren't in the mood for a visitor.

    Oh my, a Greenwillow movie would be such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD So true. We would turn around and go back to the car with no hard feelings.

      Wouldn't it? Who would you cast, do you think? I'm not sure.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, that would be tricky! I haven't even got an inkling. It needs so many young faces, and I'm kind of fuzzy on young faces.

      Delete
  6. This was a fun post to read and I heartily enjoyed it but oh my I cannot go past the picture with - I think it is - Amy Adams??! WHAT MOVIE IS THIS I MUST WATCH IT. *heart eye emoji*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, yes! So, that picture is from a movie called Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I've only seen it once, but have been wanting to watch it again. It had a few things I didn't care for, but it was quite cute and the couple pictured, while not flawless, was definitely cute. ;) I think you'd like it!

      Delete
  7. Very much enjoyed your sparkling answers!

    And I NEED to see Far From The Madding Crowd (I picked it up for a good deal so I actually own the dvd -- problem is from reading reviews and what not I want to see all three versions fairly closely to one another to compare, which means I've gotta be in a right proper FFtMC mood. xD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. And LOVE your B&B pic heading up this post! ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Heidi!

      I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the '15 FFTMC! I think you'll really like it, but I'm looking forward to your impressions either way. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review