Infinity Dreams Award and Liebster Award

My dear ol' chumps, Abby and Hamlette, have both awarded me!  Thank you, dearies!  I do so appreciate it:)

First, for Abby's award-and-questions!


~Rules~
1.  Thank and link to the blogger/s who nominated you 
2.  Answer the 11 questions
3.  Nominate/tag 11 bloggers and ask them 11 questions


Do you have a hero (someone who has inspired you)?
Several!  One of the most influential being C. S. Lewis:)

Books touch us all:  which book or story has touched you in particular?
Well, here's a list of some of the stories that have stayed with me over time, that have changed the way I look at something:

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
the Redwall books by Brian Jacques

BBC Robin Hood TV series

Wow.  Bet you never saw those coming…;-P

What was one of the most ridiculous things you have done in front of a stranger?
Probably the wave-when-they're-not-waving-at-you thing.  Or something like that;)

Do you have any pastimes or hobbies?
Well…I like to write poetry, crochet, and make bookmarks.  *cracks up at how incredibly homeschooler-y that sounds…but then, I am homeschooled, so, you know…*

What is a book or movie that you fangirl over excessively?
Don't say 'Robin Hood'.  Don't say 'Robin Hood'!  They already know that one.  Hmm…let's say the 25th anniversary concert edition of 'The Phantom of the Opera'?

What are some of your life's goals/dreams (say as little or as much as you like…)?
Hmm.  Well, obviously, I want to be a light in the world for Christ and help to bring others to Him.  Also, whatever He'd like for me to do.  I don't honestly have that many dreams, I guess…I have plans, to which I'm looking forward, but that's not exactly the same thing.  The dreams I do have are not all that big or fantastical, but they're amusing, so I shall share them;)

~ I want to be in a musical (preferably more than one, and preferably in an at least semi-leading role and WOW that sounded egotistical)

~ I want to get to Disney World someday XD

~ I kind of want to visit Europe to walk The Way.  You know, that trail people do?  I think it's the trail of St. James, but anyway, it's apparently quite something.  

What is something you wished you were better at?
Weeeeeeellll…I wish, sometimes, that I had a slightly stronger voice.  I have a good voice, I suppose, coming from five years of choir, but it's a little, shall we say…lighter than I'd like it.  And sometimes I wish it was stronger, or darker-toned (that sounds weird but isn't, I promise).  But I'm getting over that, slowly:)  I also sometimes wish I was better at creating different kinds of handwriting, more elegant types.  And there's more, but 't'is hardly healthy for me to go on in this strain, so…moving on;)

What character from a book or movie do you love?
Pardon me?  Did you--you didn't--you did!  *gasp*  'What character'?  Not characters?;-P  Very well, I guess you just mean, pick a random one?  I shall comply.  

Garth from Secondhand Lions


I know we all love Hub (myself included), and he's certainly the more, I suppose, charismatic of the two brothers, but I don't think we talk about Garth enough.  Garth is pretty awesome in his own right.  I love his quiet nurturing, and how he takes care of Hub and Walter.  And his dry sense of humor is hilarious:  "Now, boys.  You're fixin' to let them teenage hormones get you into a world o' hurt."



What character from a book or movie do you hate?
Denethor.  His picture sha'n't even taint the face of this blog unless absolutely necessary.  

Have you ever cried when reading a book?
Yep.  Not very often, but, as Print Ritter would say, "there's been a few."  I try to keep a mental list, but I feel like I'm always missing one.  

~ Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
~ The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
~ A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
~ Rilla of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery
and I thiiiiink I cried the first time I read Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Where would your dream vacation be?
Disney World.  As specified previously, hehe XD  Or Prince Edward Island *siiiiiigh*

Thanks, Abby!:D

On to Hamlette's award-and-questions!


*NOTE*
I completely forgot to include the rules for the Liebster award when I first posted this.  Here they are!

a) Answer the eleven questions of the tagger.
b) Share eleven facts about yourself
c) Nominate up to eleven other bloggers
d) Ask those nominees 11 new questions

(And yes, I realize that I didn't include eleven facts about myself…or come up with eleven new questions for those I nominated…profuse apologies and all that, but you'll just have to make do with the ones I was asked.)

Do you have a favorite mug or teacup?
Not rea--oh, wait, there is this one plain blue one that I really like.  It's very big, and very pretty:)  And then I think there's a Disney princess one lying around here somewhere…

Are you an adventurous eater?  (Do you try "strange" foods?)
Nope.  Sorry.

What fandoms are you into?
Oh, guuuuuuuurrrrllll…. (I won't include pictures, because we'd be here all day)

BBC Robin Hood
The Lord of the Rings
Leverage
Robert Duvall
Gregory Peck
My Fair Lady
The Phantom of the Opera
Evita
Spirit:  Stallion of the Cimarron
Peter Pan
Inkheart
The Princess Bride
Black-and-white comedies
The Philadelphia Story
Once Upon a Time (occasionally)
Gilmore Girls (occasionally)
Hans Zimmer
The Book Thief
The Parent Trap
Redwall
Broken Trail
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Those are in no particular order, and I realize most of them aren't official fandoms, and that I've probably left out a huge one, but I don't care;)  Oh, and I might, MIGHT be slowly entering the Sherlock fandom.  You're welcome;)  I've watched bits and pieces before, and I liked them, but since I'm *cough* easily frightened by "crime shows" like that, I thought it wasn't to be, BUT I watched some more recently, and…my interest is piqued again.  I already know the basic plot lines and spoilers, but not all of them, so…we'll see:)

What famous author/book do you not really care for?
Jane Austen and Charles Dickens.  Yes.  I know.  There are exceptions, I promise, but overall…just not doin' it for me.

What obscure author/book are you nuts about?
Brian Jacques.  His stuff is ahmazing, y'all.  You missed out big-time if your childhood didn't include listening to his stories on audio.



WHAT JUST HAPPENED


Aaaack, no, my heart! :'(


What's the oldest movie you've ever watched?
Most likely Bringing Up Baby.  

"The riverbed's changed!"


What did you have for breakfast today?
Well, I actually haven't had it yet (I'm going to have a brunch-thingy, probably), but I will most likely have eggs and tomato or pita chips and salsa:)

When did you first see your favorite movie?
As we all know that I could not possibly narrow down my favorite movie in any reasonable span of time, I'll just go with my childhood favorite, Spirit:  Stallion of the Cimarron.  (I'll be writing a review soon, by the way, and prepare thyself for fangirling!)  I first watched that…gosh, I don't know.  I must've been maybe seven?

Do you prefer fantasy or sci-fi?
I'm actually not the biggest fan of either, but I suppose fantasy.  That's a bit of a broader field, and I have more favorites therein:D

What did you expect your blog to be like when you started it?
I can't really remember.  I believe I thought it would mainly be for school friends, and that I'd mainly write only reviews, and that mainly about LotR.  I did not expect to have followers outside of my personal circle, and I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH.  You guys bring so much happiness to my day!:D

Has it changed?  If so, how?
Well, I've regrettably fallen behind on my LotR posting, but I do plan to get back on that, since I LOVE those stories, and they deserved to be talked about!  But I have opened up to more topics of discussion here on the blog, and I think that's good, since I do have so many stories I love.  However, I do feel that, like some other bloggers have shared, I tend to try and "be like" other blogs I admire.  And I appreciate the great ideas I've gotten from those blogs, but I also think that I need to guard against trying to morph into those blogs.  They are AWESOME and I love them, but I shouldn't be a copy-cat, now, should I?


Whew!  Thanks, Hamlette!  And thanks again to you both:)

Now then.  I nominate all of my readers for both awards (whichever you haven't done, do, and if that includes both, well, so much the better!) if they'd like to fill them out, but more specifically, I award these people (sorry for the absence of links) :

Paperdollmom at Haunted Verse
Amanda at A Practical Dreamer
Meredith at Two Books in My Pocket
Miss March at Sunshiny Corner
Miss Evelyn (Evie) at Letters from Avonlea
Natalie at Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
Laura at An Odd Blog

…That's all I can think of for now, but if I've forgotten to list you, please do fill out the award!:D















Comments

  1. Hahaha, that does sound homeschooler-ish. :P Be proud! haha
    "Don't say Robin Hood!" But Robin Hood is always an appropriate answer! Okay, but POTO 25th is just as good. ;)
    Be in a musical....Disney World...Europe. Yes. Count me in.
    HAHA "because we'd be here all day". ;)
    I loved Spirit too!!! I can't wait for your review now!
    Again, thanks so much for nominating me, but I hope you don't mind if I pass for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I am;D
      Indeed, RH IS always an appropriate answer! But some silly people might get fed up with my constant fangirling over it…sigh, we live in a fallen world, Natalie;-P And yes, PotO 25th all the way!
      Yup. Let's do 'em together.
      Squeeeee it's just one of the bestest movies!
      No problem at all, I understand:D

      Delete
  2. Awesome answers Olivia!

    Yes!! C.S.Lewis has inspired me so much!!

    Ugggh! Denethor… (The gag reflexes just kicked in…)

    I have cried during two books… Robin Hood by Howard Pyle and Where the Red Fern Grows.
    (Actually, my mom was reading Where the Red Fern Grows out loud to me and my siblings a while ago, and at the last chapter, she started crying, and couldn't read anymore; and I was crying, and my brother tried to keep reading the book out loud, and he started crying… So all three of us were all crying at once. It was a sad ending, right??!!)

    That does sound rather homeschool like…. But I didn't notice. (Probably because I am homeschooled as well.) *virtual-high-fives-you*

    I must go now. I bid you a very fond farewell.
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abigail!:)

      Amen! He's just that kind of inspirational guy.

      Exactly. (Haha: "the gag reflexes just kicked in…" XD )

      Ohhhhhh, I need to read Howard Pyle's Robin Hood! It's on my to-read list. Ugh, yes, Where the Red Fern Grows and I have a--complicated relationship. It's definitely a sad ending!

      *high-fives-you-back* Go, homeschoolers!:D

      Delete
  3. BRIAN JACQUES DIED???!!! How did I not know this? Redwall was such a huge part of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES AND IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOO SAD WHEN MY BROTHERS AND I FOUND OUT! (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, by the way.) When we found out, we were all kinda sad and depressed for a couple days. Still makes me sad, if I think about it, BUT I have the consolation of his being a Christian, so I can look forward to meeting him in Heaven!:) Redwall was definitely an integral part of my childhood, too. Redwall is bae.

      Delete
    2. Oh, by the by, Laura, I added you to the list of official nominations--I'm so sorry, I'd clean forgotten.

      Delete
    3. Well, now I'm a little depressed. Don't worry, I'll get over it, but still.
      That's comforting to know that he was a Christian. It's still a little weird to me (and unreal) that one day I'll get to meet my heroes, and the people that really impacted my life.

      Delete
    4. Aww, thanks! I would be honored to do it. :)

      Delete
    5. I know how you feel. I'm sorry:(
      I feel the same way! Like…actually getting to meet Lewis and Tolkien and the writers of the Bible…it definitely seems unreal.

      Yay! I look forward to your answers:)

      Delete
  4. Walk The Way--you mean the Way of St. James, right? Camino de Santiago? Squeeeeeeaal. I wanna do that too : )
    I also want to go to Rome and the Holy Land and Lourdes and Fatima. Hmmmm. I have a very long list, don't I?
    I almost cried during Rilla of Ingleside (that is, I got tears in my eyes but they didn't fall) which is incredibly rare for me. I almost never cry when I'm reading . . . but Walter's death just GOT to me, don't ya know. It's an intensely moving book. One of the best stories I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, that's the one! Yay! We should do it together!!!:D
      Haha, well, that's an awesome list;)
      Yeah, I think that's what happened with me, too. I can't remember if any tears actually fell, but they were definitely burning up my eyes a little. I KNOOOOOOW--and then THE LETTER. I just couldn't.
      (By the by, Jessica, do you have a blog?)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, we really should--it would be awesome! Doesn't it just sound awfully medieval-ish and lovely? And St. James is such a cool saint.

      Nooooo . . . I don't have one. I keep thinking it would be a lot of fun, but I don't think I really have time, 'cause I'm a college student now . . . You see, during the semester, I would have NO time to post stuff, and even now that I'm on summer break I'm kinda busy because I'm trying to get ready for grad school AND write a novel all at the same time.

      Delete
    3. It would! Ohhhh, we should;) Yes, it does! And so different--not something I'd originally see myself doing, but it'd be such a journey, no? And amen!

      Gotcha. It can be tough to find the time:-/ Ooh, best of luck with your novel! And if you ever do start a blog, be sure to let me know!:)

      Delete
    4. I definitely will let you know if I ever get one started!

      And thanks so much! It's actually my first novel ever--and it's been a LOT of fun so far. I'm on Chapter 11 and I have about 24000 words written :) I HOPE I can finish the first draft before school starts again!!!

      Delete
    5. Good!:)

      Wow! 24,000 words? Well done!:D Oh, I hope you can, too! School does tend to interfere so awfully with creative writing, doesn't it?:-/

      Delete
    6. Yeah--especially since it's college and they give you homework EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. When I was a homeschooler we NEVER got homework in the evenings. Ah, those were the days . . . :-)

      Delete
  5. Long comment time. Brace yourself.

    Haha, sometimes I have to crack up at how homeschooler my sister and I sound. Like when Sadie sits at the dining room table sewing and listening to Hank Williams. I know, SO homeschooler. But usually we're okay with it. ;-P

    Aww, Uncle Garth. :-) Yup, Hub is definitely the more charismatic of the two (Robert Duvall can't help but steal the show), but Garth is purty awesome too. He's got some really dry, funny lines.

    Oh yes, let's talk about crying over books. I never used to cry when reading, but now I do it literally all.the.time. It's ridiculous. Sometimes I even think, why am I even crying?! I may get too emotionally invested in the lives of fake people. Hmm, books that made me cry the most...To Kill a Mockingbird, All She Ever Wanter by Lynn Austin (THAT BOOK THOUGH), and Lonesome Dove. I was doing pretty good holding it together in Lonesome Dove, I really was. Until Gus came to rescue Lorie and they played cards together. Then I lost it.

    I have never read Where the Red Fern grows. *shock* Am I missing out? I remember when my sister read it, and she said it was really sad. The dog dies, right? I usually have a hard time getting into stories about dogs. I like dogs, they're just...dogs. Wow, I sound so heartless.

    I'm with you on not caring for Jane Austen. I love many of the movies, but her books just...like you said, don't do it for me. But I do like Charles Dickens. The man was a genius of the first order.

    Haha, my boys cousins LOVED Redwall when we were youngsters. I used to get sick of hearing about it. ;-P

    I'll be in the Broken Trail fandom with you. And Robert Duvall, and Gregory Peck. Oooh, The Philadelphia Story! Have you seen the musical version, High Society? It's hilarious. I've never seen TPS, but I liked HS a lot. The music is really fun. And Bing Crosby...my heartbeat is getting out of control.

    Anyway. This was fun, Olivia! :-)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long comments are the best!;)

      Haha, but that sounds like SO MUCH fun--sewing while listening to something is a fantastic pastime!

      Yep--they're both just the best:D And I love how that's actually like their relationship 'in real life' :)

      Haha, I understand. I'll probably cry in LD, too;)

      Weeeeell, about WtRFG...it depends on who you ask. Personally, I don't think it that terrific of a book (the ending is, I grant you, very good), but that's partially because I am super attached to animals, and I knew the ending before I read it (yes, the dogs die), and I was slightly furious that I had to read it *ahem*

      Yep, I love the movie adaptations of JA, too:) And oh, I agree! Charles Dickens WAS a genius. I just don't personally care for the majority of his stories (Bleak House excluded).

      Heehee, you should have listened to it;)

      Yay! Fangirls unite! No, I didn't realize there was a musical of TPS! I'll have to look it up:D The only one I've seen has Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart in it. 'T'is fantastic!:)


      Delete
  6. I love your answers! Brining up Baby is one of our very favorite family movies. A line that gets quoted around the house a lot is "I wasn't going to hit George!"
    And you crochet? How did I not know that? I do too!
    I love Redwall! Great quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lois!:) Yes, BUB is awesome! Hahahaha, yes. And, "when they find out who YOU are, they'll pad the cell!"

      Yep, I do! Awesome! Crocheters together;)

      Redwaaaaaaaaalllllll!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for nominating me!! I'll get to that ASAP. :) Oh, you like Redwall, too?? I read the first three books and Mattimeo wasn't my favorite, but the first one is so epic!!
    And Basil Stag Hare. He's on my list of favorite fictional characters, "A Redwall feast, wot?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Meredith! Can't wait for your answers:)
      Oh, yes! Redwall is awesome! Ooooh, yes, is the first one just 'Redwall' or is it 'Mossflower'? Either way, both are definitely epic!!!
      Amen. Basil is AWESOME! He's so hilarious:D I also really love Tarquin L. Woodsorrel from Mariel of Redwall:)

      Delete
  8. I haven't got to Mariel of Redwall yet, but I'll keep my eyes out for him. :) By the first book, I meant "Redwall", isn't it confusing when the series and the first book have the same name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do! It's awesome:)
      YES! So confusing...

      Delete
  9. "Where the Red Fern Grows" is possibly even sadder than "Old Yeller." Sob.

    Oh, "Sherlock" is growing on you? Yippeeeeeeeeeee! It's pretty... um... adult sometimes, but it's just so loving and clever and I have to love it anyway.

    I don't care much for Dickens either, on a whole. Some of him is great. Some of him is... twee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yes. I read the last bits of Old Yeller and promptly refuse to read the rest of it. Heck to the no. (Glad it wasn't required school reading!)

      Yes, it is! I'm considering writing a review of the third season--it's kinda sad; the third season is the only one I've watched all the way through, and the only one that doesn't scare me, so far XD Yeeeaaaah, a wee bit *ahem* adult at times...I knooooow--I can't get over the adorableness of all the relationships and banter and such:D

      Yup. Pretty much exactly what you said--good, but not my cup of tea.

      Delete
    2. Season 1 is my favorite because it's cleaner, and somehow neater and more precise too. In season 2, just skip "A Scandal in Belgravia" -- that's the really adult one. "Hounds of Baskerville" is freaky the first time through -- they play it like a horror movie in some ways, and it creeped me out the first time I saw it. I watched it again this spring, though, and liked it waaaaay better.

      Delete
    3. Cool! Maybe I'll retry seasons 1&2 sometime (probably will, actually). Yeah, I heard there was something...skip-able...in A Scandal in Belgravia. Which is sort of disappointing, seeing as it has one of the actresses from Robin Hood in it, and it'd be cool to see her in a different role...ah, well. I'll live;)

      Oh my goodness, yes. My brother, knowing how easily scared I am, told me to skip Hounds of Baskerville XD

      Delete
    4. Very little questionable stuff is actually shown, but the ep drips with innuendo, adult dialog, and so on. I refuse to watch it with my mom -- I've shown here the rest of the series except that ep (too weird to watch with my mom) and the season 3 finale (which disappointed and angered me). But the very beginning of the ep is hilarious -- I would totally recommend watching that, because it's not naughty at all. Just ridiculously funny. Like I said in my review of this ep, if you can find the part with Sherlock wrapped in a bedsheet and watch just that, it's the best part of the ep :-D

      Delete
    5. Eww. Yeah, p'raps not:-/
      Hee, I have to say, I loved the third season finale;) BUT there were definitely parts when I was like, "...Really?!" MARY THOUGH. I guess it made for that adorable reconciliation scene, but I might've just preferred them to keep her "normal." Plus, I felt sooooo bad for John :'(
      Haha! Maybe I will, then:)

      Delete
    6. I really liked how REAL Mary was in her first two eps. She was one of the most realistic female characters I have seen. Kind, funny, not pushy, just plain awesome.

      And then they turned her into a fanboy fantasy, a superspy cliche so very like so many other characters I've already seen. (No, no, not angry at all!)

      Delete
    7. I KNOW! Must they turn everyone into someone embroiled in secrets and plots and such? And I don't think I buy Sherlock's diagnosis of the situation--that John was attracted to her because of "danger." *scowls* I will say, though, that since they did do it, I did looooove John's speech to her. It was so sweet.

      Delete
    8. Yes, John's speech to her was wonderful, but I think they could have come up with a much less extreme, super-spy thing that still could result in him making that speech. Sigh. This is sometimes the trouble with being a writer -- we don't accept "it had to be that way because that's how it goes," we know it's someone writing this, and they could have written it differently. Sigh.

      Delete
    9. This is true. Oh, I bet--it would be tough to accept:-/ I guess it doesn't bother me too much, because I did, like I've said, still like the episode, but there was definitely something…off-kilter about the episode in general. And yeah, I'm still not sure but that I would've preferred them to keep Mary one of the few normal people on the show…because she was just so lovable as a regular person!

      Delete
  10. First off, thank you for nominating me! These questions look really fun.

    Books that have touched you in a special way: Oh! I'm so with you on The Lord of the Rings! I read that book to myself a couple summers ago. I already knew the story because my dad had read it aloud to us several times, but that was the first time I'd read it to myself. I enjoyed it so much. It's such a beautiful story. Beautifully written, and full of lovely characters. I was actually really sad when I got to the end of it because I felt like I was losing some very dear friends. (It's funny how books can do that to you.)

    Writing poetry is lovely. Unfortunately, I can't do it. But, I can crochet! That's a lot of fun. I'm sure my list of hobbies would sound pretty homeschooler-y, too. :)

    What? What? You don't care for Jane Austen and Charles Dickens! I'm speechless! (haha!) Okay, I guess I can understand why they wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea. Dickens does get awfully long-winded and wordy sometimes. I've read quite a few of his books and didn't care for all of them. Some are definitely better than others.

    Lovely post, Olivia. I very much enjoyed reading all your answers!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, Miss March!:D

      LOTR FOREVER!!! I knooooowww--it's just such a beautiful story, and epic in the fullest sense of the word. I know, it's definitely bittersweet to finish them *sniffle* I've only read the books all the way through once, but hopefully I'll fix that this summer;) The characters definitely ARE great friends! I'm so glad you think so too:)

      Aw, shucks, I'm sure you could! I don't write it that often--inspiration is sadly lacking a lot of the time XD But yay for crochet! (You know, it's weird how that phrase rhymes...) Hehe, yeah, you know, whaddya do;)

      I know. It's really awful. I feel bad about it sometimes XD I think they're both GOOD authors, but just, like you said, not my cup of tea.

      Thanks for reading, Miss March! Your comments are so delightful:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review