Movies: Month in Review {February 2020}

I should mention that I did watch Downton Abbey (2019) in January, but I forgot to mention it in my last wrap-up post.  And I Did Not Care For It, so . . . yeah. 😛

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) ● PG

'A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood' is a lovely reminder of why we need Mister Rogers

There were parts of this that were beautiful and very touching, but overall I didn't like it that much.  The "breaking the fourth wall" method of storytelling that the plot employed didn't set right with me for this particular movie, and there were just some odd parts.  Also . . . I have some different thoughts & feelings about the way the family conflict was handled, but I'd have to mull over it a little more before discussing them.

Basically, I think Won't You Be My Neighbor? was better, is what I'm trying to say. 😉

Date Night (2010) ● PG-13

Date Night (2010) - Photo Gallery - IMDb
"Who are you?!?!"

This was random and funny and strangely uplifting.  It's rarer to find a rom-com that focuses on a middle-aged, already-married couple, and the scene at the end at the diner was actually Quite Encouraging for me.

Harriet (2019) ● PG-13

The True Story Behind the Harriet Tubman Movie | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian

I really liked this!  The whole "visions from God" thing didn't bother me as much as I thought it might, and I'm already looking forward to watching it again and seeing what I think the second time.  The violence was also easier to handle than I'd anticipated (with the exception of one scene that was a little harder).  I loved the way the singing was so integral to the plot.  [And Cynthia Erivo's voice.  YES. ♡]

Just Wright (2010) ● PG

Cena-filme-Just-Wright

Oof.  The cringe was strong with this one.

Did I enjoy it as a one-time watch?  Yes.  Were there a couple cute/sweet moments?  Yes.  Was it a good movie?  That's a negative, captain. 😄  [It was quite poor.  As you can see, there's a REAL bad pun that's a running thing throughout it and it was . . . it was A Nope.  Plus, there was some actually kind of problematic stuff, soooo . . . ]

Please Stand By (2017) ● PG-13

Please Stand By

This was good.  I didn't love it and I didn't dislike it.  It's not one I'd rush to watch again, but it was well-made.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019) ● PG-13

'Where'd You Go, Bernadette' Review: A Woman Rediscovers Her True Calling : NPR

THIS WAS SO GOOD. 😮😍  I really, really liked this.  It was such a visual delight and the plot was wonderful and the Vibe In General reminded me a lot of the 2013 remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  [The cybercrime subplot seemed perhaps a leetle farfetched, but that's okay.]  And now I rrrreeaaally want to see Antarctica.

Go watch it. 😉

Comments

  1. I haven't seen either of them, but I was annoyed that they made A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood so close to when Won't You Be My Neighbor? was made. I want to watch the later one first.

    I loved hearing the song "Stand" from Harriet! Her voice is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it irksome when filmmakers do that? I remember being Quite Puzzled when two adaptations of The Jungle Book came out around the same time; and by the fact that so many Little Women adaptations came out within a couple years of each other. xD

      IT'S SUCH A GORGEOUS SONG.

      Delete
  2. I want to watch "Harriet" for sure. I didn't see it in theaters because I was concerned about the violence, but I DO want to watch it, at home, where I'll be able to process it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I feel. I had the opportunity to go see Just Mercy in a theater recently, and I decided it'd be too potentially upsetting to see anywhere but at home. Thankfully, most of the violence in Harriet wasn't as bad as you think it's going to be when you're hearing/reading about it; the worst was a scene when a couple guys beat up a woman.

      Delete
  3. Loved Harriet. Like you, was "meh" about Neighborhood. I expected it to be so much better than it was. I actually found it dull and kept checking my watch in the theaters. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I love Tom Hanks as much as the next person, but he's seemed like an odd casting choice for the story from the beginning (in a way, in others he's perfect). And I just didn't love the way the story was told.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen any of these and I've actually only HEARD of two - Harriet and A Beautiful Day!

    One movie that I'm excited to go see this month is Mulan!! I'm a fan of what it looks like so far!!! Eeekk. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I am sad there's no singing in it. :(

      Delete
    2. Ooh, yes! I'm so excited for Mulan! Yeah, I was disappointed that they're cutting the music, too. But maybe it would have seemed too contrived if they'd left it in? Idk. Still looks good, at any rate. :D

      Delete
  5. I watched Downton Abbey and Harriet and I agree with both of your assessments completely. lol. Now I need to watch Where'd you go Bernadette and Date Night! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yesh. Downton Abbey did NOT do it for me. xD

      Yes, do! Definitely recommend both. :D

      Delete
  6. I liked Harriet a lot too! And I really want to see Where'd You Go, Bernadette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think you'd really like WYGB. (Or, at least, there's a good chance. ;D)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review