// spring reads //

Thank God for reading, right? 😜  Here are some of my recs for your literary spring.


Books To Read For The Spring Equinox - mindbodygreen

by B.J. Chute

I LOVE this book.  The writing is exquisite and the story is pastoral, quaint, and quietly deep.  10/10 would recommend.  [Gideon's an idiot sometimes but he comes around. 😄]

Also, can we make some noise for Confronting Clerical Error with a Mixture of Grace, Firmness, and Love??  We stan.

by William Goldman

I'm just ⎼ I'm just sayin', is all.  If you're gonna try it, you might as well try it in the spring.  *shrugs far too casually*

Peter Pan
by J.M. Barrie

The source material for the movies isn't what you expect it to be, but it's fantastic after a couple reads, because after a couple reads you start picking up on "The Point," as they say.  [And on the British humor, which YES.]

A Flame Shall Spring from the Embers
Homegirl knows how to write, is what I'm saying.  This can be read in an afternoon and it's lovely.


by Anne Tyler

Like I say in the review that's linked, I think people are trying too hard to make The Taming of the Shrew something that it's not.  (I.e., inoffensive.)  And that's just not going to work.  But if you're in the mood for something a little different, this is decent.  I didn't love it, but it was moderately enjoyable and did give me spring vibes, for some reason. 

Inkheart
by Cornelia Funke

Even though this book's setting is more autumnal, I associate it more with spring.  I think because most times I've read it, it's been in the spring or the summer.  Anyway, give it a try!

Prince Caspian
by C.S. Lewis

Of all the Chronicles, this one probably screams "spring" the most, to me.  [This one and The Last Battle, but TLB is a Whole 'Nother Emotional Proposition, so we'll just talk about PC for now. 😜]

Since The Horse and His Boy and The Magician's Nephew are constantly scrabbling to be my favorite Narnia book, we'll categorize Prince Caspian as my "very close third favorite that's sometimes my second favorite" Narnia book.  I love the sibling dynamics and the nostalgia of the return and the new allies.

AND THE HIDDEN DEPTH.  THE HIDDEN DEPTH, Y'ALL. 

Ella Enchanted
by Gail Carson Levine

Spring is a perfect time to dive into this classic Cinderella retelling!  A+, fam. 


by Dodie Smith


I still don't know exactly how I feel about this story, but it's entertaining if nothing else.  And definitely a springy read: you can almost hear the drip of the rain off the leaves around the castle and smell the richness of the soil.  

Christy
by Catherine Marshall

I'm interested to see what I'll think of this whenever I read it next, because my opinion's been fluctuating lately.  Regardless, I still think I recommend this (in general 😉).  Appalachian Spring vibes are strong with this one. 

Speak Easy, Speak Love
by McKelle George

Want a Shakespeare retelling set in the Roaring Twenties, complete with Prohibition antics and sASSY™ banter?  You got it right here. 😉

The 10 Most Anticipated Novels to Read This Spring #theeverygirl

Are there any books you start thinking about when spring is approaching?


Comments

  1. Now that the library is closed, I just have to go with the books on my shelf. Fortunately, I do have 'Peter Pan' so I'll definitely have to read that this spring. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wait, I have 'Prince Caspian' too. 0:-) It's been ages and ages since I've read that. <3

      Delete
    2. Gotcha. I hope you enjoy PP and PC! :D

      Delete
  2. Although there are many things I don't love about staying home all the time, I *am* enjoying having so much more reading time now!!! 🙃

    And yes!!! Greenwillow and Peter Pan are definitely spring reads!

    Ohh, I've had a hankering to reread Christy lately; and I've also been considering reading I Capture the Castle! It's been waiting on my shelf for a while now. 😉

    A few of my "spring reads" include Emma and P & P, Anne of Green Gables, Emily of Deep Valley, and some of the LHOTP books. 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit. ;D

      Yes! Ahh, such good books. <3

      Delete
  3. Awwww.... *blushes* I'm so glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the shout out!! :)

    Also GREENWILLOOOW. <333 *happiness*

    ReplyDelete
  4. THE DEPTH IN PRINCE CASPIAN! *sobs because of my favorite scene in the whole series is there* Actually, any Narnia is fitting for spring because you can say, "Aslan is on the move..." ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homegirl DOES INDEED know how to write. I loooooooooove "A Flame Shall Spring From the Embers" *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to read the Princess Bride & Christy! Do we have a hard copy of Christy at home? I also love Ella Enchanted ... book and movie (Anne Hathaway rocks the part, as always :)). And I haven't read Vinegar Girl but it sounds like I would totally agree with you ... I do already about how there's no way you can make Taming of the Shrew into something that doesn't have a really bad message, but if we get things like 10 Things I Hate About You out of people's efforts, by all means, keep trying, world! :D

    For spring reading, I think of a lot of good British classics ... Emma, P&P, Dr. Thorne, and Jane Eyre ... I know that last one seems odd since it's Gothic and the storyline is so dark, but to me it's also chock full of hope ... And hope seems most associated with Spring, to me. Maybe partly because it's also my middle name and I was born just a few days before the start of summer ;) But yeah, Emma, P&P, Dr Thorne, and Jane Eyre. Though I'd recommend Jane Eyre any time of year:)

    I also think of one very different kind of book: Smart vs. Pretty, by Valerie Frankel. It's about 2 sisters who love each other deeply despite their differences, of which one identifying as the smart one and one as the pretty one is only the first. It's a very short read, one of those books I'd describe as silly verging on stupid but delightfully so ... just a really fun, quick read full of hope and optimism. Perfect for Spring! However, WARNING: it does have a little bit of sexual content. I'm going to reread it and post what pages are really problematic, so anyone reading this can still enjoy it :)

    P.S. the Magician's Nephew was my favorite while I had a favorite ... now I don't really have one lol. But I'm positive your Susan story will be my actual favorite Narnia story once it comes out. Not just because you're my sister ... I just love the premise of your story more than any of Lewis's premises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of Christy, yeah! Although I may be kind of tight-fisted with it. ;)

      Exactly. xD The Taming of the Shrew is kind of inherently awful, but some of the retellings are fantastic. ;D

      Very true!

      Interesting! Sounds like it could have some unusual themes going on.

      Awww, thanks. ;) <3

      Delete
  7. I have my rereads divided by season so for Spring I have:
    Anne of Green Gables series
    Grandma’s Attic series (towards summer)
    Spring-ish (not main ones) LM Montgomery
    Gail Carson Levine
    Gaskell novels
    Little Women and sequels
    To Have and to Hold
    But I'm probably going to add more. And I mean to read Greenwillow everytime someone mentions it but forget about it when ordering interlibrary loans. I really don't buy unless I read either, but maybe desperate times for desperate measures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solid choices, all!

      Yeah, I know what you mean, but yes, perhaps these extenuating circumstances do call for a couple extra "treat yourself" days. xD

      Delete
  8. Love the pictures, Olivia! So pretty! I think Anne of Avonlea is a book that I would associate with Spring - maybe from all the descriptions of taking walks through Avonlea in the spring/sumertime. :) I've read Christy - Catherine Marshall does a really good job writing how Christy finally realizes that her relationship with David is quite superficial and not deep enough to last. They really should have carried that over to the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Ahh, yes, anything Anne-related is perfect to read in the spring!!

      I agree. I think the series did a good job of translating the relationships from the book, but I wish there had been some CLOSURE, for crying out loud. xD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review