Enneagram Types as Virginia Woolf Quotes

[Longish preamble this time around; feel free to skim if you're getting restless.]

The other day, I was looking back over some quotes I'd saved from my initial reading of Virginia Woolf's The Waves.  In a flash of inspiration which I can only attribute to my recent preoccupation with the Enneagram personality typing system, I thought how fun it would be to create a post matching some of those quotes to each of the nine types.

[And then I started thinking of a whole bunch of other Enneagram-sorting post ideas, most notably an examination of various Once Upon a Time characters, but THAT shall have to wait for another day. 😛]

That's what we'll be doing today: attempting to draw patterns between Aesthetically Pleasing, Vaguely Metaphysical Quotes and nine different Templates for Humanity.  [Thanks to Katie's post, the Enneagram Institute, and the "Enneagram Explained" Instagram account for the various ways all three inspired or informed this post.]

Love this image

Now, some of you may be thinking, "Hold the phone for one diddly-darn second: Isn't this the girl who has publicly asserted that she's 'not a fan' of the Enneagram?  Why this sudden turnaround, this sudden endorsement, this sudden interest?  What, pray tell, gives?"

And you'd be correct.  I have avowed my personal displeasure with the Enneagram model, and my disinterest in finding out my type.  And, to be honest, I still don't wholly love the Enneagram, and I'm still not sure that I wholly "buy it" in all its claims/assumptions/etc.  But the reasons for that are various and multifaceted, and we shan't go into them here.  Suffice it to say that I do recognize the validity of it, I do concede its usefulness . . .

. . . and I did in fact become interested in it.  (Thanks, Obama.)

Now, is it a phase?  Probably.  Will the fervor of my interest in it wane?  Almost certainly.  But, for now, I'd like to play around with it a little.  And what is Meanwhile, after all, but a place where I share thoughts on my current interests, and where we hopefully find some happiness and edification along the way?

"Actual Goddess. Shot by my love, productofthe6"

So to it.

** THESE MAY NOT BE ACCURATE AND THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO BE IN ANY WAY INSULTING.  VIRGINIA WOOLF HAD A THING FOR FATALISM SO SOME OF THESE MIGHT SEEM A BIT JADED.  I'LL CONTRAST THEM WITH CHEERFUL PICTURES SO WE ALL FEEL BETTER.  ALSO I'M NEW TO THIS SO YOU KNOW.  I AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE SOME TYPES SOUND BETTER (OR WORSE) THAN OTHERS.  PLEASE DON'T GET MAD AT ME.  THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THESE COMMENTARIES ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE SPEAKERS AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE OPINIONS OF MGM, ITS EMPLOYEES, OR ITS AFFILIATES . . . **

⎼ ⎼ ⎼ ⎼ ⎼

Type One
“We have our fundamental goodness surely 
or to talk as I talk freely to some one 
I hardly know would be impossible -- 
we should cease.”

messy buns

Type Two
“You are you. That is what consoles me 
for the lack of many things . . . 
the depravity of the world, 
and the flight of youth . . . 
and bitterness and rancour 
and envies innumerable.”


Type Three
“The truth is that I am not one of those 
who find their satisfaction in one person, 
or in infinity. The private room bores me, 
also the sky. My being only glitters 
when all its facets are exposed to many people. 
 Let them fail and I am full of holes, 
dwindling like burnt paper.”

https://flic.kr/p/d92iZN | Untitled | blog / facebook / shop  film ♥

Type Four
“This difference we make so much of, 
this identity we so feverishly cherish, 
was overcome.”


Type Five
“No, but I wish to go under; 
to visit the profound depths; 
once in a while to exercise my prerogative 
not always to act, but to explore; 
to hear vague, ancestral sounds 
of boughs creaking, of mammoths, 
to indulge impossible desires 
to embrace the whole world 
with the arms of understanding, 
impossible to those who act.”

wings

Type Six
“Blessings be on all traditions, 
on all safeguards and circumscriptions! 
 I am most grateful to you men 
in black gowns, and you, dead, 
for your leading, for your guardianship; 
yet after all, the problem remains.”


Type Seven
“I desired always to stretch the night 
and fill it fuller and fuller with dreams.”


Type Eight
“I then first became aware 
of the presence of those enemies 
who change, but are always there; 
the forces we fight against.”


Type Nine
“But now I want life around me, 
and books and little ornaments, 
and the usual sounds of tradesmen calling 
on which to pillow my head after this exhaustion, 
and shut my eyes after this revelation.”


⎼ ⎼ ⎼ ⎼ ⎼

What say you, Those Who Know?  

Did I get them reasonably right?  

What is your type?  

Do you want to read The Waves now?  

[Spoiler alert: you should.  It's literally just an unending stream of philosophical reflection and metaphysical speculation.  It's glorious.]

[Also, I feel it's only responsible to add: if you don't already know your type, you shouldn't base it off of which of these quotes you most identify with; there's a process, I'm not trained or certified; yada, yada, yada.]

[Also, if you wanted to know, I'm a 1 (wing 9).] 

Comments

  1. This post is so lovely! I'm a 9 and I can say wow that quote is a mood xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abigail! I know, right? I, too, relate. xD

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, from the very beginning I was intending to ask what type *you* are if you didn't say, but then I got to the very last line! ;)

    I am a 1w9 too!!! 🙊👊🏻🤗

    (Also, these quotes are all lovely, and seem very appropriate for each type. I especially like #5, 7, 8, and 9 ❤️)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Hey, how about that? *high-fives for fellow 1s*

      (Thanks! <3)

      Delete
  3. Okay but the 4 one, and the 5 one ...

    as a l'il 4w5, I Felt That In My Soul.

    *grins muchly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? The 5 one is so relatable. :D

      Delete
  4. I agree with your sentiments, Olivia. I think that the Enneagram is sort of fun and interesting and has its uses, but my interest will/has already started to fade somewhat. It is, very likely, just a passing internet craze. As long as we see it as such and don't treat it like The Final Word On Everything -- I'm okay with it :)))

    I, personally, am an Eight. Did you ever cave in and find out what type you are?? I'm gonna guess just for the fun of it that you are a Four :))

    I think my favorite of all of these was the one you chose for Five, though. Oh, so fitting. Also the Seven one was really perfect. (I'm a wing Seven, so it Connected With Me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. For me, I need to recognize it as something that is useful for some, not for others, and as something that has some empirical basis to it but is probably neither infallible nor universal. That helps me "get my head around it".

      I did, yep! I'm a 1 with a 9 wing. ;) (I said it but it was at the very end of the post, lol.)

      I'm glad you liked it! Yep, the 5 one is my favorite, too, I think. It applies to a lot of people, not just 5s. Yes! I'm glad the 7 one came out all right; that was one of the types that gave me some trouble in figuring it out. ;)

      Delete
  5. So, I'm currently OBSESSED with Enneagram, but I don't know Virginia Woolf... so I appreciate this but I'm not sure if I understand it all. xD Just, ANY blog post with Enneagram in the title has me hooked, haha.

    (Also, I actually thought to myself "I bet Olivia is a 1w9" before you mentioned it. I can definitely see that in you. ;) My mother and one of my older sisters is a 1, and my older brother is a 9.)

    So I'm a 2w3. I could definitely relate to the 3 quite a bit. But I think the 7 was my favourite. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I get it! Like I said, I'm kind of in this interesting place where I don't really think the Enneagram is universally legitimate, BUT at the same time I'm very "into it" right now. xD

      (Ahhh, it's so funny that you say that! More than one family member thought I was a Six, but more than one of my "online" friends correctly guessed that I was a 1w9. I love that you guys knew me well enough to know that. ;D)

      Neat! I can see 2w3 in you. ;) <3 I'm glad you related to the 3 quote because I was concerned I hadn't found a good fit for type 3.

      Delete
  6. LOVE IT! I've been feeling this way for some time, and reading the quote for Type 2 was like a confirmation in revelatory form. I'm Type 2. Wing 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 99% positive that you're somewhere in the heart triad (which is 2, 3, and 4) -- and I have been for some time -- so I could definitely see that!

      Delete
  7. Wow, now that I know about how Enneagram works I can't express how impressed I am with this. :O Being a 9 (or a 1. Or a 2. I'm never sure) those all are so ACCURATE!! I feel #understood.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review