Mystery Blogger Award

Also known as, A Large Amount of Random Facts About Me That You Didn't Ask For. 😁  [Unless, of course, you're one of the ladies who nominated me.  In that case, you literally did ask for them. 😜]

 

Thank you to the lovely bloggers who nominated me!  I'll have links to their blogs at the beginning of their questions. 

Rules

  • Put the award logo/image on your blog.
  • Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog. 
  • Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well. (This award was created by Okoto Enigma.)
  • Answer the 5 questions you were asked.
  • Tell your readers 3 things about yourself.
  • Nominate 10-20 people.
  • Notify your nominees by commenting on their blogs.
  • Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question.
  • Share a link to your best post(s).

I'm not doing the "three facts" part of this award, since I'm already answering fifteen questions.  I'm also not going to create new questions or tag people, because I think the majority of bloggers I follow have already been nominated (or soon will be 😜).

Ivy's Questions ✾


1) What is it that you hope to achieve in your lifetime?

In terms of career aspirations, I want to become an "established" author, and possibly a speaker/ministry worker as well.  Those would be my primary goals right now.

i mean we got a little dramatic
there towards the end but
the basic idea, yes

2) Who is your favorite person from history?

I tend to attach myself more to historical periods than historical figures, so I don't really have an answer.  But Joan of Arc and Mother Theresa are both amazing, and I've enjoyed learning a bit about both Hatsepshut and Anastasia. 

3) Do you prefer the country or the city?

COUNTRY.  I truly get anxious when in a city. 

Storytime: 

When I was a wee youngster [and by 'wee youngster,' I mean 'fully pubescent tweenager'], I was talking with one of my aunts and I casually mentioned that I hated cities, saying: "When I go outside in them, I get the herpes."


Now, context.

I said that as a reference to that one Andy Griffith episode in which Barney tries to set Andy up with that blank-faced girl named Lydia, the one who says weird things in a monotone.  [She mentions that she hates the outdoors, see.  She says that when she goes outside she gets the herpes, see.  So it was more or less a direct quote, see.  It's funny in the episode, see.]  

And I, being a Good Christian Homeschooled Girl, did not know that "herpes," in the common vernacular, most generally refers to a sexually transmitted disease.  I hadn't the faintest, one might have said.  I thought that herpes was a generic, socially innocuous "rash". 

My aunt did not have the bliss of that same ignorance.  Her reaction, as you can imagine, was different than I had anticipated it would be.

New party member! Tags: the office jim jim halpert almost so close almost there

4) What genre would you describe your life at the moment as (comedy, drama, sci-fi)?

Oh, drama, for sure.  With a splash of musical theatre thrown in there just for kicks.

5) What do you remember the most about 2010?

Ummmm . . . I must admit, I have no solidified memories connected to 2010.

sorry.


The Maidens of Green Gables' Questions ✾

1) If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would you teach?


Literature!  I don't think I'm well-suited to being a teacher, but if the conditions were ideal ⎼ motivated, orderly students who would take it easy on my awkwardness and insecurity 😅 ⎼ I'd do best with my passion.  [I think.]

2) If you had to write an alternate ending to any book, which book would you choose, and how would you end it?

I had to think about this for a different Q&A scenario a little while ago.  I couldn't come up with anything then and I can't come up with anything now.

I would be HAPPY, however, to take a few books out of existence altogether.


3) What is your favorite Bible verse right now?


1 Corinthians 7:17 has been helpful for me lately as I've struggled with peace & contentment with my own choices & other Life Decision Things: " . . . let each of you lead the life that the Lord has assigned, to which God called you."

Your life doesn't have to look like other people's lives.  Your school or career choices don't have to look like other people's school or career choices.  Rest. ♡

[Another one that I keep coming back to over the years is 2 Thessalonians 3:17: " . . . peace at all times in all ways."  Sometimes it feels like I'm always missing the mark, that I'll never be free from all the anxieties that haunt me.  This verse helps. ♡]

4) What Gif/Meme describes you?

SO MANY.  This was the hardest question to answer because I wanted to share them ALLLLLL. 😂

ninthyouth
but this one.  we feel this one.

5) What is the last book/movie/song that made you cry?

I can't remember which was the last one to bring actual tears, but these are two that have made me fight.

 


[Which is funny.  Sometimes I can listen to them both and be completely unmoved -- less affected than I am by other, less thematically deep songs.  But at other times?  Nooooope.]

Katie's Questions ✾
[Katie just opened the tag up to everybody and I wanted to answer her questions. 😛]

1) Your opinion on The Hunger Games? 


It is Not For Me. 😛

[I have Very Strong Opinions about when killing is justified and when it is not, and I just KNOW that me trying to read/watch that story would be a recipe for disaster.]

[Also dystopia is just Not My Jam.]

2) What was your favorite subject in high school, and what do you think that says about you as a person? 

My favorite classes in high school were two literature classes I took through the second homeschool co-op I attended.  It was the first time I really felt like a teacher was just as passionate about the subject as I was, and honestly my literary analysis nerd soul was Thriving™.

3) If you could choose any meme to represent your inner soul, which meme would you be? (you know, Dark Kermit, angry lady yelling at cat, Blinking White Guy, Sponge-Bob’s “aight I’mma head out,” etc.) 


There are several, but Blinking White Guy really speaks to me. 

Blinking Guy Meme Template

4) Do you prefer movies or TV shows? Why?

Movies.  I like the shorter timeframe for many reasons, one of them being speedier resolution.  I've also Surrendered My Vulnerable Heart to one too many Emotionally Scarring Television Dramas in the past to want to rush into many more and risk the same aftermath. 😛

Sitcoms are usually a different story.  I don't watch many, but I'm always happy when I find one that I do love.  [For instance, I recently discovered Bless This Mess and it's darling and it should be more popular.]

5) Honest answer: Would you be any good as a spy or secret agent? Why or why not?

I highly doubt it. 😛  See: Question re. The Hunger Games.

^^ how easily the first enemy assassin would take me out.

Comments

  1. Awwww, I always love reading posts like this. Love the last question and your "Office" gif. ROFL!! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad! I am doing pretty well, thanks; hope you are, too!

      Delete
  2. I've done this one a few times, I've lost track. "I tend to attach myself more to historical periods than historical figures" same.

    And yeah, that last gif is me too.

    I'll have to try Bless this Mess. I'm trying to motivate myself to watch anything besides Hallmark and Hometown.

    That quote story! I'm pretty sure I hadn't ever even heard the term until late teens or early twenties (oldest of homeschooled family=most clueless of them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "oldest of homeschooled family = most clueless of them" WELL THIS EXPLAINS MY ENTIRE LIFE

      *dying*

      xD

      Delete
    2. I know, I tried to protect my siblings (I'm talking the very youngest from 7-12 years younger) from stuff that I eventually became aware that they already knew about and knew WAY more than me, they might still, even the ones who hadn't/hadn't yet gone to public highschool. I've observed or heard similar in other families. Not sure why, but probably a continuation of the younger siblings have more people to learn from plus parents lighten up by the millionth kid.

      There are things I watch now that would've given me a stroke even just a few years ago, and I went through college in blissful ignorance of probable things going on around me. I was smart enough not to ever mention I was homeschooled (not out of shame), and I didn't mingle at all which was good since I still needed my cluelessness protection bubble.

      Delete
    3. That dynamic definitely makes sense.

      I told everybody at college I was homeschooled, lol ... I was definitely clueless as to what was going on around me, but I never ran into any problems, even though I did interact with a lot of different types of people. Like, no-one took advantage of me, or even tried to. Even though I went to a huge, public, urban university. I definitely stood out as "weird" to a degree--but I think to a degree THAT protected me??? my overall vibe of Enormously Dorkish Weirdo Whom We Do Not Speak To About Certain Things. Like, I'm pretty sure 99% of my friends/classmates were like, "awwww, the baby ... must shelter the baby." xD

      Delete
    4. @Livia: Yes! Historical periods are [in general] so much more fascinating to me.

      I think there's a good chance you'd like Bless This Mess, if you're looking for something fun and lighthearted. (Of course there is some sexual content, about the same as The Office or Parks & Rec, I'd say.)

      Delete
  3. This was so much fun to read! I greatly enjoyed it.

    Your story time though...oh my word! OUCH. I remember Lydia from the Andy Griffith Show (probably because she drove me up a wall and I disliked her so very much). I don't remember that exact quote, but goodness! I had no idea that word meant what it means. I could easily have been in the same situation as you, except now you've warned me. (Thank you, dear!) Sometimes ignorance is bliss, other times I guess it's just awkward? Haha. Oh my. :/

    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the Hunger Games either. Too disturbing.

    Your choice of Bible verses and all you had to say around that was good! Yes. Your life does NOT have to look like everyone else's life...in fact it can't because God has called everyone to something different...so there is no use fretting or comparing yourself to others (though always that is easier said then done). Your reminder to REST is so important though! Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, yay! :D

      Hahaha. Lydia was a memorable cameo character, that's for sure. xD Haha, oh, good -- at least others are in the same boat! :-P

      Precisely. Not the ticket for either of us, I'd venture.

      Thank you. <3 "In fact it can't because God has called everyone to something different" << exactly!

      Delete
  4. This post gives me all the happy happiness. <3

    JOAN OF ARC AND MOTHER TERESA. Heck to the yeah. #strongwomenmakingadifference

    *covers face and dies inside* Okay, with the whole "herpes" story, I have to admit I was "today years old" when I learned the definition of herpes--AND that The Andy Griffith Show is one of the long, long, long list of TV shows I've never once watched--so let's just say, you can take the Christian girl out of the homeschool but you can't take the homeschool out of the Christian girl. :-P

    And yup yup, there's more than a few books I'd like "removed from existence" as well. #NUKE 'EM

    See ... yeeeaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Devoted fan of all things YA that I am, I have never read or watched The Hunger Games, and I don't think I ever will. The premise is one from which I simply Recoil In Horror, Jeeves. There are NO CIRCUMSTANCES under which I could ever bring myself to see the appeal. And sure, people have tried to persuade me, "oh, the violence isn't really that graphic"--but still. I remain unmoved. Nope, nope, nope, and nope.

    Blinking White Guy suits you, m'dear. <3 Me, I'd absolutely be Dark Kermit.

    Okay, so, with the "movies vs. TV shows" question, it's hard to answer because I'm very reluctant to try either new movies OR new TV shows: but when I do try something new, on my own, of my own volition, it's usually a TV show. And I have a small, but steadily-growing, list of dear favorites. I seem to really dig the shorter, episodic format combined with the looooong character arcs; I don't often have the patience to commit to two whole hours of a film I've never seen before, but I can manage a half-hour episode. And then another one. And then another one. ;-) My "standbys" so far are Doctor Who, The West Wing, Parks & Rec, Brooklyn 99, Boy Meets World, One Day At a Time (Netflix reboot), and Good Omens.

    MWAHAHAHAHAHA that gif!!! I, too, would be pretty much an instant goner if I ever attempted secret-agent-ing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D :D

      AMEN.

      Haha, no worries! As you say, "you can take the Christian girl out of the homeschool but you can't take the homeschool out of the Christian girl". *commiserative high-five*

      NUKE 'EM ALLLLLLL.

      I sympathize with your position, sir. Certainly the thesis is an unsettling one.

      Thanks. :D And I can totally see you as Dark Kermit.

      Yeah! My brother is more of a TV show person, I think. And, like you, my list is small but growing. PARKS & REC AND B99 FOR THE WIN! I still want to have access to The West Wing someday. What is One Day at a Time about?

      INDEED, INDEED. We'd be toast, my dear. xD

      Delete
    2. *cracks knuckles*

      One Day At a Time (the Netflix reboot, not the 70s version) stars Rita Moreno as a wildly flamboyant Cuban-American grandmother, living with her Army veteran daughter and her two teenage grandkids in a tiny apartment in Los Angeles. It tackles sensitive social issues and the challenges of Le Modern Family with a tremendous amount of grace & humor. I have been muchly impressed, Jeeves. Indeed, I have. xD

      Delete
    3. Katie Hanna I feel exactly the same way re movies vs TV shows ... I also prefer the shorter episodes with long story arcs, and for some reason rarely want to commit to a 2 hour movie but will happily watch one episode ... and another ... and another ... and pretty soon I've watched 3 or 4 hours of TV anyway xD

      Delete
    4. Also, Livvy, the West Wing is AWESOME! Didn't think it would be your thing though but we'll have to try it together sometime!

      Delete
    5. Ahhhhh!! Another West Wing fan!!! *high fives* :D

      Delete
  5. That is exactly how I feel about music. XD It's always so loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S ALWAYS. SO. LOUD. xD

      Seriously, why. Why must people do it. xD

      Delete
    2. Some of us have blasted our headphones too loud and can't hear very well anymore ....

      Delete
  6. Ohh, I LOVE the new header!! SO beautiful. *heart eye emoji*

    Oh dear! That awkward story about the herpes though! XD You poor thing! That sounds SO much like something I would say. I do embarrassing stuff like that all the time. *face palm*

    Oh I love 1 Corinthians 7:17! That was my Instagram biography for awhile haha. I love it so much. <3

    Haha XD That last gif! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! :D <3

      Yep yep. *facepalms with you* xD

      Ahh, really? Yes, it's really encouraging for me.

      Hee hee. xD

      Delete
  7. Omigosh Bless this Mess was the show I was referring to in my most recent email to you! I'm sorry I can't introduce it to you but SO GLAD you apparently find it as darling and amazing and wonderful as me ... like I said, I think it's the kind of show that, with new episodes (and maybe sometimes old ones!) can keep me awake when I need to stay awake but can also help me peacefully drop off to sleep when I'm having a hard time sleeping (provided I've already seen the episodes I'm falling asleep to). Also, I LOVE how the main couple are actually MARRIED, and the writers didn't feel like they had to go through whole seasons to bring them together and there's zero fornication scenes (at least between them). ALSO, I've liked Dax Shepard and Lake Bell for a long time, but I never felt like I saw them in anything that did them justice until Bless this Mess. And I love how the show promotes small family farms (usually a lot less cruel), and gives a positive outlook on conservative country people ... I feel like that's rare in shows these days. Basically, I can't say enough about how much I love this show!

    Oh and speaking of shows that portray conservative people in a positive light, check out Mrs. America on Hulu! It's based on the true story of Phyllis Schaefly leading a women's movement to stop the women's rights amendment, and it's fascinating! CATE BLANCHETT of LOTR fame plays the lead role--excellently, of course. There's a little more riskay content then some might be ok with, so just putting that out there, but nothing too bad that I've seen so far (basically, the 2 red flags I saw were Cate Blanchett in a bikini (but a 1950s/60s bikini so not as immodest as today's), and one short but unfortunate (in more ways than one ...) sex scene (tastefully done, no nudity or anything like that, but still) between a married couple.

    So, there's all my warnings; I definitely believe it's worth it, though. Lemme know if any of you other readers of my amazing LuLu's blog enjoy either show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still so exciting that we both discovered Bless This Mess around the same time! :D I love it so much. And yes, like you said, I've appreciated the way the show has handled different things.

      And Mrs. America is on my to-watch list! I love Cate Blanchett and Rose Byrne, so. ;-P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review