Movies: Months in Review {September & October 2020}

Did I drop off the face of this blog for a full month?  I sure did. 😂  School and work are both crazy right now.  Really looking forward to December when they'll calm down. 😅 

Anyway, here's the new stuff I watched in September and October!


Adopt a Highway
(2019) ● Not Rated


I know it would have been unrealistic if it had ended the way we want it to, but DID I ASK FOR REALISM???  DID I ASK.

(I did not ask.)

(But this was a good movie anyway.)

Barbie and the Twelve Dancing Princesses
(2006) ● Not Rated


You don't understand:  I've been wanting to watch this for at least a decade. 😂  Ever since I had the novelization as a kid and fell in love with the dresses & the aesthetic & what-not.  And I finally know someone who owns it, so I was finally able to see it!  Huzzah.

I didn't love it, but I enjoyed the experience. 😍

Magic in the Moonlight
(2014) ● PG-13


This was my first time watching a Woody Allen movie, and all pedophilic sexual misconduct allegations things considered, I felt pretty validated when I discovered that it was nothing special.  It reminded me of an inferior version of My Fair Lady.  The plot raises some interesting philosophical questions, and there are some amusing lines and fun costumes, but that's about it.  The characterization and the technical aspects of the cinematography struck me as mediocre — which, once again, I found pretty satisfying, given the Woody Allen debacle as a whole.

Miss Americana (2020) ● TV-MA


I think I knew most of this information already, but I still enjoyed watching the documentary.  It was thoughtfully made, insightful, and strangely cozy.  I especially appreciated learning more about Taylor's experience with the sexual misconduct trial, and the fact that the documentary highlights the ways in which the judicial process enables and perpetuates rape culture. 

Over the Moon (2020) ● PG


I liked this but I didn't love it.  Fei Fei was a cool character; I loved her song (though I maintain that it should have been entitled "Fly Away" rather than "Rocket to the Moon," but whatever). I also loved a lot of the aesthetics.  

But I wasn't a fan of the way the Lunaria parts were done — random, neon-colored geometric shapes and amorphous blob people aren't what I sign up for when I sign up for a movie partially set on the moon, y'all. I was also disappointed in that I didn't really like any of Philippa Soo's songs.  *le sigh*  Aside from that, I thought that some of the characterization and plot development was underwhelming. 

I will say, though, that the "Chamber of Exquisite Sadness" scene was much more to my liking.  

Riding in Cars with Boys
(2001) ● PG-13


I have been cheated.  I was promised a funny, uplifting story about complex-but-generally-positive family dynamics, and did I receive that?!  No.  I received a technically well-done but also extremely upsetting look at profound parental abuse.  DID I ASK??  DID I REQUEST??  No, I did not.  I really don't need any more exploration of family dysfunction in my life right now, okay?

The Huntsman: Winter's War
(2016) ● PG-13


OKAY THIS GAVE ME FEELINGS I WASN'T EXPECTING

Context:

I've been familiar with the story universe in these movies for years now, because one of my sisters used to like the first one.  She tried to show it to me once, but my Sensitive Twelve-Year-Old Self noped out of that darkness real quick.

But over the past couple of years, I've been feeling an urge to try it again.  And, of course, the second one interested me because, hello, Freya.  Emily Blunt as an ice queen?  Don't even @ me.  But I didn't know everything about how her story was going to play out, or about how they were going to resolve her character arc.  I WAS REDUCED TO EMOTIONS, LET ME TELL YOU. 


And also??  Chris Hemsworth as the huntsman?  What a sublime surprise.  I was expecting him to be a macho edgelord stereotype with a dreadful accent and a moodiness problem. Instead, he's a goofy optimist who picks flowers and defends fawns and reassures people and laughs at his own terrible strategies and is also much more vocal about all his warm-fuzzy emotions than any of the women in the story and honestly? Quality content. We stan. 

I didn't think I would like the romance in this one, but I was yet again pleasantly surprised.  I actually got really invested, and I found it well-rounded and wholesome. 

Now, did I see some weak plotting?  Yes, absolutely.  Some of the character motivations and/or reactions to their circumstances were either unrealistic, generic, or just plain random.  (Like that sudden implication at the very end, during the final battle, that Ravenna also "wanted love & children" — what?)  And some lines were painfully cliched.  But I am more than willing to overlook these minor missteps. 😛 

Overall, definitely recommend if you like dark twists on fairytales!

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018) ● PG


I've been waiting to watch this ever since the first trailers, so I was happy that I finally got around to borrowing it from the library.  I didn't love it as much as my Nutcracker-loving soul wanted to, but I enjoyed it enough to re-watch it. 

Oh, and I loved that they used the "Pas de Deux" music for the father-daughter dance at the end.  That made my as-aforementioned Nutcracker-loving soul happy.  (I actually would have liked to see just a little bit more of the father-daughter dynamic in general, but I'm happy with what I did get.  The last shot was really sweet. 😊)

Unorthodox
(2020) ● TV-MA


Been debating watching this ever since it came out.  I've read and watched several survivor testimonies about arranged or forced marriage, and one of the authorities on the subject had both positive and negative things to say about this miniseries.  So I was torn.  Ultimately, though, I decided to watch it when I was stuck and bored, self-isolating in my room after a Covid-exposure.  

I thought it was good!  Shira Haas, man.  That human can make you feel things without moving a muscle, just by sitting and watching a choir rehearse while tears pool slowly in her eyes.  Whew.  I also found the subplot with her mother compelling. 

I would definitely suggest that anyone considering watching it would read some of the feedback it got beforehand, though, just so you're aware of the positive and the negative aspects of its portrayal of the ultra-Orthodox Hasidic community and marriage culture.  It's important to get a range of survivor perspective on an issue like this.

(Also:  It's rated TV-MA for a reason, so be prepared for that.) 


Have you seen any of these?
What did you think of them?
What have you been watching?

Comments

  1. Dude, I have wanted to see several Barbie movies for over a decade, yet still haven't so I feel you. XD I had so many books of them and it was hilarious because my mom hated them.

    Oh, I saw the first movie, Snow White and the Huntsman, and honestly wasn't impressed. It is so weird, because it had so many tropes that I LOVE, yet I was really wanting the stuff I usually get tired of in stories to happen. But, I had my curiosity aroused by the prequel because, of course, Emily Blunt! I might be coaxed into watching it now...

    I saw Nutcracker in the theater and the visuals were low key incredible there, but I haven't watched it since.

    Good to see a post from you again, m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also: "I really don't need any more exploration of family dysfunction in my life right now, okay?" <--- SAME. SAME. SAME.

      Delete
    2. You understand. xD I love Barbie movies.

      I definitely get that! The Huntsman movies seem to be fairly unpopular, and I understand why. They definitely have their share of problems, but I did really like the second one and I'm curious about the first one.

      Ahh, I bet the visuals for Nutcracker were amazing in theaters!

      Awww, thank you, friend! <3

      RIGHT LIKE I'M DONE. I can't handle any more family dysfunction right now.

      Delete
  2. I was like hmm, several of these are dark which I don't do . . . but then I'm watching a documentary on opioid addiction right now, SO yeah. (Not usually my thing but very important to me for reasons).

    I want to watch the Huntsman movies, not sure why I haven't yet, too forgetful and lazy probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of the movies I've watched recently have been pretty dark. I actually need some lighter ones right now. (I understand that. Sometimes we need to watch shows about things that are usually upsetting.)

      They're interesting! A very, very strange and unique take on fairytales. Very dark, which isn't always my thing, but which I do like occasionally.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, Olivia!
    Ah, Barbie and The Twelve Dancing Princesses. It's one of the better Barbie movies, I think.
    And, ooh, you saw The Nutcracker and The Four Realms. I love the aesthetic of that film. Yes, yes, yes, it absolutely needed more of that father-daughter dynamic.
    Hmmm, lately, I've mostly been binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Riverdale, so I'd recommend those. I also just started rewatching Glee, and I'm as obsessed with it as ever.
    I don't think I've seen too many memorable movies recently, but I did see Mean Girls, Heathers, and Beetlejuice all for the first time in October, and I liked those.
    Great post. Now I have some more things to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, McKayla! I appreciate it. :)

      I love the Barbie movies!

      The aesthetic of NatFR is nigh unto perfect. *thumbs up*

      Ahh, my brother really liked Glee. Ooh, and I've considered all three of those movies! You always wonder about the "classics," so it's cool to hear that you liked them.

      Thanks! I hope you like some of these, too!

      Delete
  4. STUDIES SHOW WE LITERALLY DID NOT ASK. xD

    I've been finishing up my Leverage rewatch in leisurely & enjoyable fashion, while continuing to fall ever more deeply in love with She-Ra: Princesses of Power. The latter encompasses a GLORIOUS "friends to enemies to friends to lovers" arc, and I AM DELIGHTED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD

      Ahh, yes! I'm so glad you've found a new favorite story in She-Ra. Oh, and I forgot to tell you! I've actually been conducting my own Leverage rewatch over the past couple of months, and it has been SO good & refreshing to be back with My Peoples again. <3

      Delete
    2. *hugs them* our peoples

      You know, I still need to do that Leverage personality types post ... I have Thoughts ...

      Delete
    3. Yes, yes, yes!! We need all the Leverage posts; it doesn't get nearly enough visibility!!

      Speaking of which, I'm thinking of writing an appreciation post about Parker + Hardison as a couple, because HOLY HECK I THOUGHT I LOVED THEM BEFORE

      Delete
  5. First of all, LIVING for the Christmas blog update, it is stellar. Second of all, I grew up on the Barbie movies, and 12 Dancing Princesses was my faaave. (yes I am still soft for Genevieve and Derek okay, they're so soft) Third, I still need to watch Nutcracker and the Four Realms, it's aesthetic looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, thank you! I wanted something super cozy & Christmasy to give me all the happy, joyful, peaceful feelings, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. :D

      Yes!!! I absolutely love Barbie movies. <3

      I think you'd like The Nutcracker and the Four Realms! The aesthetic IS amazing, and Mackenzie Foy is lovely in it. <3

      Delete
  6. You hadn't seen the 12 Dancing Princesses before this???

    I am befuddled.

    Also I HAVE BEEN DYING TO WATCH THE HUNTSMAN MOVIES. I neeeeeeeeed to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it ain't been for lack of trying, I can tell you that. xD

      WE MUST WATCH THE HUNTSMAN TOGETHER. :D

      Delete
  7. I could not have closed on my first home without Mr, Benjamin Lee ! Benjamin and his team went above and beyond for me on this transaction. He handled my very tight turn around time with ease and was always available for me when I had questions (and I had plenty), even when he was away from the office, which I greatly appreciated! He and his team handled many last-minute scrambles with the seller and worked tirelessly to make sure that I could close before my lease (and my down payment assistance, for that matter) expired. Mr Benjamin is an incredibly knowledgeable Loan Officer, courteous, and patient. I went through a couple offers on properties before my final purchase and Benjamin was there to help with each one, often coordinating with my agent behind the scenes. I felt supported throughout the entire process. Thanks to Benjamin and the tireless efforts of his team, I am now a proud homeowner! I would encourage you to consider Benjamin Briel Lee for any kind of loan.Mr, Benjamin Lee Contact informations.via WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740  Email- 247officedept@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just popping in to say your Christmas header is absolutely stunning and beautiful and scrumptious. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooooo, yeeeeeeah... Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman is kind of basically just the most adorable person ever. I have both movies on DVD because... he's so wonderful. When there was only the one movie, I shelved it under H for Huntsman, not under S for Snow White and the Huntsman because it is CLEARLY not there to be watched for any reason except... the Huntsman.

    Um, anyway, I tagged you with a bookish Christmas tag. Play if you want too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review