A Year of Rereads

In my early teens, I adopted a reading motto.  C.S. Lewis had said that, "It is a good rule, after you finish a new book, never to allow yourself another new book until you have read an old one in between" — and by golly, if it was good enough for Clive, it was good enough for me.  So, I implemented that practice.  I alternated faithfully between books I'd never read before and books I had read before.  After finishing a new-to-me book, I'd begin a reread; after I finished a reread, I'd begin another new-to-me.  I followed this "rule" fairly religiously for several years, if I recall correctly, balancing old and new in a straight 1:1 ratio.  (As I was already in the habit of rereading quite a bit on a regular basis, it wasn't that difficult; it simply became a strict formula rather than a flexible inclination.)


Now, over time, I've realized how dogmatic that rule is and how silly it is to impose any kind of ironclad restriction upon my leisure reading.  I've also become more invested in working through the unread books I own, since I like to maintain a form of minimalism (or something like it) in most areas of my life.  Thus, I no longer force myself to follow each new read with a reread.  Sometimes I want to focus on racking up the number of new-to-me books I've read instead of revisiting old favorites, and that's okay.

On the other hand, I've had to be careful to not swing too far in the opposite direction.  As someone who does enjoy rereading — as someone who has always enjoyed rereading — I know that I don't want to lose that enjoyment.  Cutting down on one's TBR pile is well and good, and it's definitely something that I want to continue doing.  But I don't want to forget my 'old love' in the process, and I've caught myself drifting in that direction more than once over the past few years.  I've found myself not only rereading less and less, but actually avoiding the practice.  I've noticed a sensation of restlessness, or even guilt, when rereading old favorites.  I've started to feel as though I should be spending that reading time eliminating unread books from my shelves.


Part of this, I know, is due to the fact that, somewhere along the way, I got really weirded out by the idea of reread books being included in my yearly total on Goodreads.  I somehow figured that those shouldn't "count," as though having read a book in the past somehow invalidated the time, effort, and experience of reading it again and ought to make it null and void in the tally of what I read within a given calendar year.  {Which, in hindsight . . . literally why??  That makes no sense.  *shakes head @ self*  (Although, in fairness to said self, that was also before Goodreads began providing a visible record of how many times a book had been read.  I know that a lot of my antsiness stemmed from not wanting people to think that something was a first-time read when it was actually a reread.  I disliked the confusion, you see.)}

The other part of the problem is encapsulated in that devilish little word, "should."  Because really, let's be honest:  How many rules "should" there be when it comes to personal leisure reading?

. . . Few to none, that's correct.  If you don't want to spend a lot of time rereading, then don't.  If you do, then do.  Neither is objectively better or worse.  Your leisure reading is just that — your chance to immerse yourself in whatever literature appeals to you, in whatever way works for you.  Don't hem yourself in with trifling, arbitrary "should's".


Still, exhortations re. self-liberation aside — as I said, I know that I personally do find rereading a valuable, enriching experience.  Thus, I'm happy to be able to report that I've done quite a bit of it in 2021!  Indeed, research indicates that, of the 90+ books I've read so far this year, twenty-three of them have been rereads.  (And a good thing, too — research also indicates that the majority of my 2021 reading garnered 2- or 3-star ratings.  As the youths are saying, "it's not the vibes."  I needed some tried-and-true quality to save me from the mediocrity.)

This is probably the most rereading I've done in several years — though I know it may not be that much in proportion to others' habits — and I have at least a few more rereads up my sleeve which I plan to complete before kicking off the 2022 commencement ceremonies.  So, you may well ask, have I learned anything particularly noteworthy during this "year of rereads"?

Well, for one thing, corny though it sounds, I think I have rediscovered my love for the process.  Most of the books that I reread this year were old favorites, but not all of them — some I just wanted to revisit, for whatever reason.  (And there were several more of that kind that I'd hoped to get to this year and didn't, so will probably prioritize next year.) 


Rereading forced me to slow down and be more intentional about my reading this year.  I like to blow through books quickly, but the whole purpose of rereading is to comb back through already-familiar pages, looking for what you might have missed the first or second or third time around.  The goal is to re-immerse yourself in something you've already experienced, to see if you can glean something new from it.  I had to embrace this concept to truly enjoy the books I reread over the last twelve months.  

This discipline came in especially handy during my Lord of the Rings reread.  It had been a year or two since I'd last read the trilogy — certainly since I'd last read all three installments — and I had a marvelous time with it.  Once again, I was reminded of the maxim that usually holds true for Tolkien's writing:  for best results, savor.  I had to consciously remind myself that I wasn't in a race against time to finish the books.  I was free to take them in bite-sized pieces, reveling in the lyrical mysticism of Tolkien's words and the comforting vibrancy of the worlds they created.  I was free to enjoy the beloved story on my own terms (which happen to be that I love it deeply and forever but don't think it's anywhere near flawless).


It's the same mindset, more or less, that characterized the majority of my rereading this year, especially when it came to two other old favorites:  The Forgotten Beasts of Eld and Till We Have Faces.  As with LOTR, my most recent jaunts through these books hadn't been quite as magical as of yore, and I desperately wanted that to change.  I desperately wanted to be reassured that these stories still meant every bit as much to me as they used to.  

And guess what?  I was.  All three gave me extremely satisfying, enriching rereading experiences this year, and I think a large part of that had to do with my deliberate decision to focus on what I thought and felt about each story/book, instead of considering what I knew others (strangers, friends, or relatives) thought and felt about them.  I had to learn to trust that my own story sense was valid whether it accorded with others' or not.  I had to learn to trust that it was okay if my opinion of a book had changed over the years.  I had to learn to trust that it was okay if my opinion of a book hadn't changed over the years.  I had to learn to trust that it was okay if my feelings on a particular story were mixed or nuanced.  And I had to learn to trust my own ability to responsibly interpret the social, religious, philosophical, and ethical conundrums posed by the literature I read.  


In short, I had to learn to trust my own reading conscience again, which is a whole other topic of conversation involving Many Varied Thoughts & Theories that I've been mulling over lately.  (Speaking of which, perhaps another blog post is in order . . . hmm . . . )  

But enough of that, for the present.  On a lighter note, here are few more highlights from this year's rereading, books which were both A Delight & A Pleasure to revisit:


There were many more, of course, which I greatly enjoyed as well.  Getting back into the groove of rereading after an extended hiatus gets an 'A' from me.  Definitely recommend.


Ah, the season of wrap-ups and year-end reflections.  These last days of December will see me frantically trying to decide which novels and films deserve a spot on my 'best-of' lists; posting some of those lists here, some on Instagram; and, perhaps, doing a bit of brainstorming for 2022's reading plans. 😉

Also, speaking of Instagram:  I don't think I've yet mentioned that I recently revamped one of my accounts on that platform, turning it into what is essentially a mini extension of this blog.  So, if you're on Instagram and you'd care to see what I'm up to over there, you can find that account here:  @eldmountain. 😊

What will you be doing as 2021 draws to a close?

Are you a fan of rereading?

Comments

  1. "my deliberate decision to focus on what I thought and felt about each story/book" - Love this! It is something I try to do, too. A little harder for rereads, maybe - one wants to preserve the first memories of reading a book (if it was a beloved book) as long as possible. But when the time is right, rereading is so valuable. For me, this year's big reread was The Magician's Nephew, and happily it remained a favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it can be especially upsetting if you revisit an old favorite, only to discover that you now find certain aspects of it troubling or lackluster.

      But I agree: when a reread is good, it can be priceless. {Ahh, The Magician's Nephew!! That's my second favorite (sometimes tied-for-first favorite xD) Narnia book! Glad it remained a winner for you. :)}

      Delete
  2. I LOVE re-reading, but since most of my physical books are packed and stored away, I haven't visited my old friends as much as I like to this year. I was just thinking I would like to focus on re-reading more in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel that. Having books in storage can definitely complicate our TBRs. (When I was reassembling my bookshelves after some house reno, I purposefully decided to leave some books in storage because I wanted more space. But there are pros and cons to that, for sure.)

      Hope you're able to get in some quality rereading this year!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

    "I had to learn to trust that it was okay if my opinion of a book had changed over the years. I had to learn to trust that it was okay if my opinion of a book hadn't changed over the years."

    You rather hit the nail on the head there, old bean. ;)

    I, too, experience a lot of anxiety about rereading because I'm never sure how my emotional reactions will shift in the interval. Especially because I have such STRONG emotional reactions, I can give myself whiplash if I reread a book and my emotions are yanking me in a totally different direction the second time around xD Which is why I don't reread much anymore, except for a few trusted authors whom I know still "hold up." (Like our beloved PG Wodehouse. All hail the king of comedy. ;))

    I've realized I need to give myself permission not to reread; to tell myself "It's okay if I hypothetically WOULD experience that book very differently now, but I don't HAVE to experience it again." I don't have to test that theory, in other words. I can let the memories rest in my past, and go on and have new emotional reactions to new stories.

    I'm glad you're enjoying rereading so much this year, though! I'm glad you're taking comfort in your old favorites and savoring their beauty. <3







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you a lot when writing this post! Because I remembered that rereading often doesn't work out for you, so you actually need to be careful to not do a whole lot of it. Which makes perfect sense! Everyone has a different approach to revisiting old books or movies. My dad, for instance, isn't a big fan of re-watching stuff he's already seen. (Whereas my mom and I are over here watching our favorites every month or so. xD)

      I think it's awesome that you've figured out what works for you and what doesn't when it comes to reading and rereading. Protecting your emotional peace is very important, so I'm glad that you know some of the things to do/not do in order to make that happen. <3

      And, see, for me, if I had really strong emotional reactions to the majority of stuff that I read, I might not like rereading either! But that's something I've realized about myself in recent months, actually: I really don't tend to react very strongly (emotionally) to the stories that I consume. That is to say, I do have to be careful to pay attention to my overall emotional state before consuming a story, because the general feel of a story -- or the specific emotional "vibe" that I personally get from a story -- can have a pretty major impact on my emotional state going forward in that particular day, etc. But I don't tend to react emotionally to many characters, plots, etc. -- not viscerally, at any rate. So when I DO have one of those reactions, I usually perk up and Take Notice. *insert side-eye emoji here*

      Anyway! Rabbit trail, there. Thanks, buddy! *hugs* Rereading definitely helped last year. :)

      Delete
  4. I am a huge rereader, but lately I've tended to inhale (and not just rereads, anything I find enjoyable) rather than ponder them and my thoughts like you were describing which defeats some of the joy and rich experience.

    I'm very much a mood reader (really mood doer in the anything which has always been a huge problem), but one thing I have done is to require myself to wait a few years between books, so I don't make myself sick of them and gives me some more space and therefore joy in coming back to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm with you, there -- I definitely tend to inhale rather than savor, and overall, that's still the way I like to do it. But for some reads it really can be better to go more slowly.

      That makes sense. I'm sort of in-between being a mood reader and following a TBR. It sort of varies. I like your rule for stretching out the amount of time between each reread; that's an issue I've run into myself, where I reread a favorite too much and too often and then lose a bit of the excitement of reading it. Hopefully I'm getting better at that.

      Delete
  5. I also used to be a huge rereader, and have had to be very careful about not swinging too much in the opposite way. I also feel that pressure to cut down the TBR, especially since I am a list-driven person, and I have to remind myself that the way I read is that I will read something once, and then, if I want to truly appreciate it, I probably need to read it again. Cutting out the second step helps no one, least of all me!

    I believe rereads made up a little less than a third of my reading this year, which seems acceptable to me. :)

    "I had to consciously remind myself that I wasn't in a race against time to finish the books." << Oh man, this is me. Especially with long books.

    Oh, Spinning Silver is so good, and such a delight to reread, as well! I just reread (well, re-listened) to that one over the summer and greatly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, that makes sense! Like you said, especially if you're a list-driven person, it can be tempting to make leisure reading into a checklist instead of a hobby or a passion. But rereads are valid, too!

      Very acceptable! It wasn't quite a third, for me, but it was definitely more than in previous years so I'm counting it as a success. What were some of your favorite rereads this year?

      Spinning Silver is such an enjoyable book! I think it should be shorter, lol, but I still love it.

      Delete
  6. I have this "weird" thing about re-reading that if I do it with some of my most memorable books, the "shininess" and GOOD qualities just won't be the same so by and large I never re-read. Who knows maybe someday I will though. But I do love the idea of reading the books that are already on my shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, too! While I personally love to reread, I definitely have experienced some "burn out" in cases where I reread my favorites a little TOO much, and then when I went to read them again, some of the magic had gone out of the experience. So I get what you mean. :)

      Yes! I thrift so much that I hardly ever use the library for actual books anymore; I just go through the ones I've purchased. xD Trying to get better about that, though! (Both at limiting the amount of unread books I purchase, and at realizing that it's perfectly okay to get a library book even while I have unread books sitting on my shelves.)

      Delete
  7. When I was younger, I re-read books constantly because I had no other choice, being a kid with no income. It's easy to tell which books from my collection date from that period, because they are wore out. They resemble not so much books as battered collections of sheets, folded and stained, held together by fading and cracked covers. These days almost all of my reading is new, but I still do some re-reading -- of Lewis, most often. His Surprised by Joy and Screwtape Letters are yearly reads for me. With others I've re-read them because I'm conscience of my tastes and opinions having changed, and I want to see how I respond to a provocative book now, or because I never fully inwardly digested them and posted a review, so I want to try to finish that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, too! I remember reading my family's collection of age-appropriate books to death and then probably just restlessly prowling around the house until our next trip to the library.

      Lewis has exceptional reread value. I went back through the entire Chronicles for the first time in a while last year, and I think I might do it again this year.

      I get what you mean about wanting to see how your opinions have changed on more provocative/controversial books. That's always an interesting experience. :-P

      Delete
    2. (P.S. I just noticed on your profile that you have The Philadelphia Story listed as one of your favorite movies and I would like to congratulate you for having excellent taste.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review