Everything 'Star Wars' Blogathon || All the Star Wars movies, ranked.

I WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED THIS *cries* 

What-ho, all!  Today marks the beginning of Eva's and Katie's epic three-day blogathon devoted to all things Star Wars!  Huzzah.

For my first (possibly only?  we don't know) contribution, I have ranked all the SW movies to date, according to My Personal & Subjective Opinion, Okay, Don't Let's Get Mad. 

I doubt there'll be that many surprises on this list?  But, as always & once again, these rankings reflect my feelings and my preferences and are in no way meant as an attack on those who have different ones.  I respect all the SW movies in various ways and I respect all the SW fan opinions in various ways. 

There.


#11.  
Rogue One


This ain't it, chief.  Not for me, at any rate.  I know a lot of people love it, and I understand why they do, but I . . . do not.  Nope, nope.  *shakes head emphatically*  It's sort of everything I don't want in a Star Wars film. 😬

#10.
Solo


I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would, all things considered.  I don't usually go for prequels very much.  For some reason, stories that retroactively try to force me to accept as canon a backstory for a character I've already met . . . stress me.  They mess with timelines; they mess with my own ideas about who the character was before I knew them, should I have undertaken to form any such ideas; and they often alter my perception of the character as portrayed in the original, "later" story in unwelcome ways.

Basically:  I don't tend to like them. 😛  So, from the very beginning, I was skeptical of this movie.  While I thoroughly approved the casting of Alden Ehrenreich, I still knew that they were going to "mess" with my favorite Star Wars character's history.  Plus, I knew that they were going to do all that WHILE ALSO attempting to sell me on a "serious" love interest that was doomed from the start due to what we already knew of Han's story later on . . . and I just wasn't on board.

I'm still not, for the record, "on board" so much as I am no longer "off board".  If you will. 😜  I still don't necessarily accept the Solo plot as Han's backstory; but the movie itself, I thought, was actually pretty good.  Even if it's not one I'd personally care to watch over and over.

#9.  
Revenge of the Sith


I think this is possibly the "strongest" of the prequel movies, but it's also my least favorite simply because, you know, sin and ruin and betrayal and despair and tragedy and all that.  I mean, Padme dies.  You can't expect me to be itching to watch my queen die every chance I get.

It's good; it just makes me feel . . . not sad, really, but . . . slightly crestfallen.  And I'm not looking to be crestfallen after watching a Star Wars movie. 

#8.  
The Rise of Skywalker


I don't have much to say about this one.  It was fine, and I forever love Rey + Poe + Finn; but beyond that . . . eh. *shrugs*

#7.  
The Force Awakens

everybody dance now

Rey and Finn being bright-eyed ingenues entering the free world after years of oppression is The Purest Thing, and I love their excitement and geekiness and hugs.  I also love the feeling of freshness, of newness, of beginnings.  I love Han Solo and Leia Organa being Crusty Old Whippersnappers.  I love the line, "Chewie . . . we're home."  I love the line, "tHaT's NoT hOw ThE fOrCe WoRkS!"  (I basically love Han, period.)

I don't love the unimpressive emo adolescent Phantom of the opera that is Ben in this movie.  I definitely don't love aforementioned unimpressive emo, etc. killing my boy.  Nope, nope.  We don't stan that, madam; we do not.  And any numbskulls who want to come and try to tell me, "Oh, but it needed to happen for the story" may exit, pursued by a bear, at the first available moment. 😁

#6.
The Last Jedi


Despite its arguable flaws, I enjoy a lot of this film.  It has several of my favorite moments of the new trilogy:  Rey screaming at Ben; Rey learning from Luke; Luke being salty and decrepit; Rey and Ben fighting Snoke together; Rey caring about Ben but taking Exactly None of his nonsense when he's urging her to rule the galaxy with him; Luke doing The Shoulder Flick; Rey closing the ship door on Ben's face; Rey lifting the rocks to free the Rebels; Finn and Rey hugging again because #pure; Poe and Rey meeting.

*sighs in satisfaction*  Good moments, those. 

#5.  
The Phantom Menace


This one is just fun, for me.  The stakes are pretty low, so I don't really have to "worry" about any of my favorite characters, but I still get to enjoy them.  I still get to experience a unique shade of the SW story universe, one that's different from either the original or the newer trilogy.  It's a good time, folks. 

#4.  
A New Hope


A Smol List of things that greatly enhance this movie:

  • Leia Organa, taking care of business.
  • Han Solo, trying very hard to not take care of business but doing it anyway bc, what the heck, it's the weekend and he's bored.
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi, thinking he's taking care of business and really doing a kind of horrible job at it but it's okay he tried. 
  • Luke Skywalker, wanting desperately to take care of business but simultaneously being a Sheltered Homeschooler Teen with absolutely zero clue what's going on.  
  • "but I was going to go to the Tashi station to get some power converters!!"
  • Luke destroying the Death Star.
  • Han helping Luke destroy the Death Star.
  • Luke and Han tackling each other back at the rebel base bc they're so excited that they destroyed the Death Star.
  • "We're all fine, here, now, thank you . . . how are you?"
  • Leia handling herself with more suavity and aplomb and heroism than any of us could possibly hope to imitate even after being forced to watch her entire world be literally blown to smithereens in front of her eyes??
  • Han barreling down a hallway clutching a gun and screaming at the top of his lungs with no apparent plan whatsoever. 

#3.  
Attack of the Clones


I knowwwwwwwwwww, I know.  But what can I say?  I am Utter & Complete Trash for Padme Amidala; and I am likewise Trash for a solid Aesthetic; and this movie has both in abundance; and therefore you really can't blame me. *shrugs*

Will I mock its dialogue just as heartily as the next person?  Heck yeah.  Will I still thoroughly and unironically enjoy it?  Heck yeah.  

#2.  
Return of the Jedi


I love how much time we spend on Endor in this movie.  Endor is probably my second-favorite SW locale — right after Naboo — and all the forest-y goodness adds a touch of whimsy and coziness to the story.  Plus, I just love watching all the characters at the end of their arcs:  they're all a little more mature, a little more serious, but also a little more appreciative of the ordinary everyday good things that they're trying to preserve for the future.  I stan, madam.  I stan most strongly. 

PLUS THE ENDING.  It genuinely makes me feel so happy and cozy and safe. 💚

#1.  
The Empire Strikes Back


*grins*  You can't beat the Han-and-Leia dynamic.  I can't, at least, and I am unabashed in saying that this is my favorite of the films primarily because of all the screen time that the two of them get together. 

Luke also gets a lot of exposition in this installment, which is important and of course sets him up for the events of Return.  

I love it, my dudes — I do, indeed. 

And we're done!
Which is your favorite SW movie?
Which is your least favorite?

Comments

  1. Aaaaaahhhhhh The Empire Strikes Back! That's my favorite one, too! (Granted--I've only watched 4, 5, 6, 7, and half of 8 (the last half. Bad idea. Had no idea what was going on), but ESB is the CLEAR winner). Honestly--the ones where bad things happen most are often the strongest emotionally & plotwise.

    "Sheltered Homeschooler Teen with absolutely zero clue what's going on" << Pretty sure that's me, and feeling called out right now. :)

    What did you think of The Mandalorian? I've watched a couple of episodes with my brother (who is OBSESSED), and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit...but it's also a TV show, with all the limitations of that format, soooo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! (Oh boy, haha -- it must have been confusing to watch the second half of The Last Jedi. xD)

      HAHA, yes, but it's me, too, so I'm really calling out both of us. xD

      I like The Mandalorian! I don't know if I "love it" in the technical sense of the term, but I am in Full Support of it. xD

      Delete
  2. Your run-down for A New Hope made me so HAPPY ;D Luke Skywalker as "Sheltered Homeschooler Teen" is absolutely my new favorite thing in the world and I shall be stealing it forthwith.

    My favorite Star Wars movie is, always & forever, Rogue One, which tells me we are DEFINITELY looking for very different things in a Star Wars movie and I am Totally Okay with that. ;)

    I looooooove your Last Jedi appreciation. THE SHOULDER FLICK, YESSSS, THE SHOULDER FLICK.

    Thanks so much for participating!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, YAY! Haha, yes, fun story: I was watching it with some friends and we sort of all simultaneously were like, "wAIT -- LUKE IS THE ULTIMATE STEREOTYPICAL HOMESCHOOLER!!" And it hasn't left me since. xD

      Hehe, yes, precisely: we look for and value very different things in SW movies, and that is perfectly fine. ;)

      THE SHOULDER FLICK IS ULTIMATE. <3

      Thank you for hosting!!

      Delete
  3. I've not seen Solo yet.

    Rogue One is the best in terms of artistic merit, but in terms of enjoyment, I'm not sure which movie that would be. I enjoyed 7 and 9 of the new ones, at least the first time, not sure how they'd hold up. I also the think the very first is greatly enjoyable, Luke is such a hilarious precious naive innocent, you meet Han, just everything is new and different. I absolutely despise the early 00's and the Last Jedi. Last place is easier than first for me in these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you'd think of Solo. It's interesting.

      The first has so much nostalgia. <3

      Delete
  4. Yay!! Someone who agrees with me about Rogue One and Solo!!!! Ahem. I'm so happy for anyone who does like it, but everything that you said is what I feel. My sister LOVES backstory, but to be honest, it makes me incredibly sad. That is the reason that I don't like the prequels, because they spiral down and don't give me any hope. I do enjoy watching the prequels for Ewan McGregor. Oh, and though AotC is my least favorite, it has one of my favorite parts of the series where Padme is just THE BOMB and takes care of herself where Obi-Wan and Anakin are still chained up and impressed (TM).

    *squeezes all of the happy things that you listed into a hug* YES, I LOVE IT!!! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH THANK GOD SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOESN'T LOVE ROGUE ONE!!! *hugs you* I feel exactly the same way you do: "I'm so happy for anyone who does like it," but it adamantly doesn't work for me.

      I definitely get that feeling about the prequels. They definitely are a downward spiral.

      Padme is a boss and ain't no one gonna change my mind. ;D

      Aww, yes!! <3

      Delete
  5. I think this would be my ranking of favoriteness:

    Return of the Jedi
    A New Hope
    Rogue One
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Solo: A Star Wars Story
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    The Force Awakens
    Rise of Skywalker
    Attack of the Clones
    The Last Jedi

    Wildly different, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's starting with 1 and going down to 11, btw.

      Delete
    2. Oh, cool, I'd forgotten which was your favorite of the original trilogy! Now I know.

      Haha, yes! Everyone's rankings are so different and that's cool.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK SO MUCH. But I have to say that the prequels are my favorites of the SW movies, not because of young Anakin, but because of young Obi-Wan. Gotta love him and his adorable face and Samwise-Gamgee-mixed-with-Gandalf-ness. 🥰

    But Han... is the best. I can't deny that. Especially in A New Hope/The Empire Strikes Back.

    I've not seen nay of the new Disney SW, but I've heard I'm not really missing anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS SAME. <3 Ahhh, I've never thought of Obi-Wan as Sam Gamgee/Gandalf but I love it, thank you. xD

      I love my Han, very dearly. <3

      Ah, the new SW movies . . . it really depends, I think, on what you want from SW. If you want a take on them that's slightly more reminiscent of Marvel, then you'd probably enjoy them. If you want to preserve the nostalgia and the light and the old-timey-ness of the older/original movies, then you probably won't. That's my take on it, anyway. :-P

      Delete
  7. I mean, I completely disagree with this list, but it was totally fun to read anyway, so thanks ;) Rogue One is the best Star Wars ever and I will not be changing my mind, but I'm not the hugest SW fan anyway, so I think maybe the reason I love it is that it's so different to the typical SW movies. XD

    I also *loved* Rise of Skywalker for about a year, but then I started seeing all the plotholes, and now... idk. I still ship Rey and Kylo Ren, but... yeah, all of my opinions just show my utter lack of SW knowledge. (I haven't even seen the prequels.)

    I'm curious where you'd rank The Mandalorian if it counted? I think I love it almost (*almost*) as much as Rogue One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, and *I* will not be changing *my* mind about how RO is NOT the best SW. xD It's funny how we all react differently.

      Yeah, ROS was fine, for me, but I was a leetle frustrated by some things that I saw as loose ends, etc.

      Ah, yes. I like The Mandalorian, so it'd probably be in the middle, coasting towards the higher end of the list, for me.

      Delete
  8. It's kinda funny and sad, but we basically have opposite opinions on this haha. xD My rankings would be almost the complete opposite of yours! But of course that's totally okay. :D I just find it funny. I'm glad that all the Star Wars movies are being enjoyed and appreciated by different people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aww, I know. We all have such different opinions on SW! xD

      Delete
  9. Okay okay. All I can say is that I killed myself laughing at Luke being a "Sheltered Homeschooler Teen".
    XD It is legit. It is the best, most accurate description I have ever seen of him. XDDD That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD XD XD I'm so glad you see it, too. I figured it out with some friends a few years ago and I have clung to it with gnarled fists ever since. xD

      Delete
  10. I could not have closed on my first home without Mr, Benjamin Lee ! Benjamin and his team went above and beyond for me on this transaction. He handled my very tight turn around time with ease and was always available for me when I had questions (and I had plenty), even when he was away from the office, which I greatly appreciated! He and his team handled many last-minute scrambles with the seller and worked tirelessly to make sure that I could close before my lease (and my down payment assistance, for that matter) expired. Mr Benjamin is an incredibly knowledgeable Loan Officer, courteous, and patient. I went through a couple offers on properties before my final purchase and Benjamin was there to help with each one, often coordinating with my agent behind the scenes. I felt supported throughout the entire process. Thanks to Benjamin and the tireless efforts of his team, I am now a proud homeowner! I would encourage you to consider Benjamin Briel Lee for any kind of loan.Mr, Benjamin Lee Contact informations.via WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740  Email- 247officedept@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review