Murder and Mayhem and Misanthropy, Oh My


It seemed wrong to group the dead.  It was not seven; it was one and one and one and one and one and one and one.  Each an entire life, each with a name.
Chanel Miller, Know My Name

Let's talk ✨violence✨, kiddos.


Growing up, I developed a reputation as someone who was "easily freaked out" by violence, peril, etc. within the realm of fiction.  Part of this — when I was younger, especially — was due to real sensitivity.  Anything "dark" was difficult for child me to handle without paying for it when trying to fall asleep at night.  As I've grown older, however, things have shifted.  Exhibit A:  my inability to make it more than twenty minutes into Snow White and the Huntsman as a tween, contrasted with my adoration for the whole movie as a twenty-something.  Now, I'll take a film with R-rated violence over a cutesy murder mystery episode of Monk any day of the week — and, what's more, I'll (probably) be far less disturbed by the R-rated show than by the Monk episode.

This confuses people, sometimes.  And I get it.  After all, it's hard to explain why I can watch Die Hard, Tarantino, Hostiles, etc. but not Psych or NCIS.  It's hard to explain why mild violence or violence that happens off-screen is often harder for me to handle psychologically than onscreen scalpings, blood spurts, etc.  Basically, though, it comes down to the narrative attitude behind the incorporation of the violence.

If you're going to write violence, I'd rather you actually depict that violence than downplay it or shunt it to the side.  This is partially due to the way that my empathy operates when absorbing this kind of stuff.  You can't just casually relate that a murder has happened without expecting me to instantly teleport to the victim's side. In my mind, that's exactly where I'll be — side by side with them, watching their brain unravel with terror as they're mutilated and killed, and taking a piece of that terror for myself.  So, all things considered, it's often better for you to just show me what happened, because my imagination will likely make it even worse than it was.


(Plus, since I've been pretty interested in the medical field since childhood, I find that my brain typically assumes a kind of clinical approach to gore and the like, so the "nitty gritty" becomes more like a medical puzzle for me than a scare tactic.)

The other reason is that, if a writer is willing to actually Go There™ when it comes to the violence in their story, then I can (usually) be pretty confident that the writer is actually taking that violence seriously.  Death and dread and destruction are not merely run-of-the-mill elements that can be injected into their plot as cavalierly as flavored syrups are added to a cafe order.

I've gradually realized that the reason I dislike murder mysteries and crime shows and the like has less to do with an aversion to violence as such and more to do with an aversion to the way these stories portray violence.  Blood 'n' guts do not necessarily bother me as much as the implication that they are not serious, and that's an implication that I far too often find in these kinds of stories.  In my experience, they usually premise their plot on a human being spending their last moments in abject horror and pain, and then ask me to just . . . not care?  Like, they tell me that this horrific crime has occurred and then introduce this detective character who's supposed to charm me right off my feet as they blow me away with their forensic skills, and expect me to believe that THAT'S what matters:  the talent or charisma of the person solving the crime, not, y'know, the crime itself.  And the victim?


You know, instantly and unequivocally, that the murder victims are of absolutely no consequence to either the writers or the other characters.  The civilian who bites the dust at the beginning of the episode (or the novel, or what have you) is nothing but an expendable piece of plot fodder, there to die in fear and trembling so that the real stars of the show can entertain us with their lovable wisecracks and noble encomiums as they work the grisly case.  You're not supposed to think about the victim again after they've been offed, except as a piece of the puzzle the protagonist is solving.  They simply Do Not Matter, and it's your job to accept that and roll with it.

And that . . . that gets under my skin in a way I can't really explain.  It ticks me off, actually.  I simply cannot rationalize, by any idealistic framework whatsoever  — whether religious or anthropological — such a cavalier dismissal of human life.  Even for the purposes of fiction.  It just feels so gross to me?  It's a subtle form of misanthropy, sure, but I think it's misanthropy nonetheless.  (I can only think of one murder mystery off the top of my head that does this better, and that's The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill.  The victim in that story is extremely important both to the plot and to the characters, and so, though I could take or leave the book, I appreciate the way the author wrote it.)

This type of narrative paradigm lists toward a peculiar kind of elitism, in my mind.  By this reasoning, the significance of a character's life is directly correlated to that character's proximity to the protagonist.  If the hero or heroine doesn't have a personal connection to this person, their death can not only be negligible, it can be downright entertaining.


Of course, there's nuance, here.  I'm not saying that every single death in every single scene in every single action movie needs to be given the full narrative weight that human life deserves — that's neither practical nor possible.  Different fictional genres have different tonal qualities that demand different thematic foci, and that's very fair.  Moreover, there are certainly storytellers who slide to the opposite extremity of this spectrum and saturate their tales with a positively unnecessary (and ineffectual) degree of explicit violence, such as the aforementioned Tarantino. *coughs*  This kind of gruesomeness doesn't work either, because it betrays a writer so bereft of narrative substance that they have to rely on sensationalism and shock value to elicit any kind of significant emotional response from their audience.

My point, however, is that it's one thing to use suffering as a plot device, but it's quite another to trivialize suffering by building it into the structural fabric of your story in such a way that it loses any significance.  If you're going to write about people, you could at least pretend to believe that those people's lives have value, and ensure that the story you write reflects that belief.

[I could also talk about the issue of Christians demonizing any and all sexual content in fiction (because heaven forbid sex be discussed outside of a closed room, or imagined before a wedding night) while cheerfully accepting the destruction of fellow image-bearers as a prerequisite to certain forms of entertainment, bUT THAT'S ANOTHER STORY . . . ]


Anywhoozles.  Those are just some of my thoughts!  I, of course, don't want to imply that you shouldn't read, watch, or enjoy murder mysteries.  Since I'm not a fan of the genre as a whole, I'm sure there are a lot of excellent entries that handle this aspect of their premises better than the few I've encountered.  I'm also pretty ambivalent about mystery in general, so that's part of why this specific mystery flavor doesn't work too well for me.  But this topic is something I've been mulling over lately, so I wanted to write about it. 😜

What do you think?


Comments

  1. Intriguing thoughts here. As a lifelong devotee of the murder mystery genre, I will now endeavor to Comment...

    I think you have put your finger on a flaw in murder mystery television specifically--that is, detective shows, especially detective shows that lean more towards the comic side, like "Monk" or "Psych." If these shows are introducing a new mystery, and therefore a new victim, every episode, they simply do not have time to flesh out that victim as a character (since they're already dead) in thirty or so minutes of TV. By the same token, these shows do not have time to actually set up a truly complex or puzzling mystery--which is why the killer is usually the second or third person the detectives talk to. So the focus inevitably ends up being on character development for the detective and their Best Friends Squad, the people we already know and like.

    This tendency is only heightened in comedy-detective mashups because the writers figure you came here for something FUNNY and COZY, not a serious discussion of the moral implications of the taking of human life.

    This is why (imho) the murder mystery novel is the superior form of the genre, because in a full novel, you have plenty of time to develop the character of the victim and give them the attention they deserve. Not all mystery novelists do this, of course, but certain of Agatha Christie's works did an excellent job with it. Christie also used her novels to explore the moral depravity that leads one human being to kill another. It's a running theme throughout her 80+ books that murder isn't a game, and any character who treats it as a game or an innocuous puzzle (even with good intentions) winds up in serious trouble.

    Finally, I have to plug my man G.K. Chesterton and his Father Brown stories, because, do you want realistic blood and gore? HE WILL GIVE YOU GORE :-P Do you want deep moral discussions? HE WILL ALSO GIVE YOU THOSE. His story "The Hammer of God" is a literal masterpiece of both psychology and theology, and I never get tired of it.

    Of course, it's totally fine if you just don't love murder mysteries (even the more serious ones). No one has to enjoy them! But I think the cozy mystery subgenre and the "detective bro squad" subgenre are more riddled with the problems discussed here than some other forms of the art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circling back to the original point about episodic mystery shows like Monk, The Mentalist, or NCIS... you'll notice these shows often give their detective a multi-season arc involving a Big Bad psychopath who has harmed the detective PERSONALLY, by murdering their wife or driving their brother to suicide or what have you. While this is a good way to raise the emotional stakes, it can also serve to highlight the fact that these victims whom the detective has a personal connection with are the only ones who really matter to him, and the crimes he solves on a weekly basis just... aren't that important.

      Delete
    2. Loved getting your thoughts!

      Yes, I think the thematic constraints of the "buddy cop" subgenres do come into play here. As you said, most writers of those types of stories aren't intending to seriously explore the moral/ethical ramifications of their plots, and that's . . . fine, I guess, but it also annoys me, lol.

      I've never tried Christie (because, again, I just don't care for mystery most of the time), but it's heartening to learn that she at least takes her main plot device seriously.

      And yes!! We love Chesterton. :-P It's been A Minute since I've read any of his stuff, but I remember quite liking everything I have so far. I'll have to seek out "The Hammer of God"!

      That's an excellent point, as well, about how those multi-season arcs in a lot of crime shows serve to emphasize the relative value (or lack thereof) of each murder victim, and how that can be . . . problematic.

      In fairness, since publishing this post, I did realize one significant aspect that I left out of it, which is the use of dark humor as a coping mechanism for those who actually do work in police corps, detective agencies, military branches, etc. If you're devoting your life to dealing with these unpleasant realities, you kind of have to distance yourself from their emotional implications, because if you didn't, you'd sink under the weight of it all. So that is a very fair point that's also important to consider in this discussion.

      Delete
  2. This basically attitude is basically why I don't enjoy "cozy mystery" books, but I gobble up old-school hardboiled mysteries. The latter take the death seriously. It is never ever cute. Film noir does this well too. I mean, I love Castle and Bones, but I rarely rewatch their EPS, not like I will a torturous and dark noir film. And Castle and Bones do often get into the aftermath of death, the grieving loved ones and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid phone -- this is Hamlette/Rachel.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough! I haven't watched that many noirs (since, again, just not my fav genre), but at least, like you said, they don't tend to use murder as comedic fodder.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review