My "They're Just Like Me" Characters | Disney Edition


What-ho, all, and how are you doing on this fine November day?  (That is, I hope it's a fine November day when I publish this post.  The chances of my actually checking the weather before doing so are very slim.  I suppose I'll have to take my chances.)

(**Publishing edit:  It is currently Dark of Night™, so who's to say whether the weather is fine or not?  Alas for holiday seasons and work schedules and school deadlines which necessitate these ungodly hours of Past Ten PM™.)

As many of you probably already know, 2023 has been the 100th anniversary year of Walt Disney Animation Studios.  Like so many others, I count Disney movies as some of the most fun and influential media of my childhood, so I wanted to be sure to celebrate a century of the studio in some way before year-end.  (I've also managed to eke out at least one post per month this year, and I'm determined to finish strong with that trend, so here I am, sliding onto home base just under the wire.)

What's a girl to do when she needs to whip up a quick Disney-themed blog post?  Apparently, draw inspiration from those "they're just like me" Instagram prompts and talk about the Disney characters she relates to the most.  Here, then, is a short 'n' sweet snapshot of a few animated Disney characters I find particularly relatable.


✦ Shanti 
The Jungle Book 2


I've always related pretty strongly to Shanti.  I was the "mom friend" child, the risk-averse one, the one who didn't like to rock the boat.  I was the one who developed a reputation as a party-pooper or a tattletale because I had an overactive conscience and neither I nor my peers knew how to recognize or verbalize that.

Even now, though I've changed since childhood, I still see bits of myself in Shanti, and bits of Shanti that I'd like to see in myself.  She has a strong sense of responsibility, she's sassy, and she will not hesitate to beat you over the head with a big stick if you threaten a toddler.

✦ Elsa 
Frozen


Harm-based OCD, anyone?

Elsa's arc in the first Frozen movie resonated deeply with me when I first watched it, and I still maintain that it's a masterful cinematic portrayal of anxiety.  Her trajectory in the sequel wasn't as relatable for me, but I still feel a kinship with her in her ongoing struggle with fear, her sense of duty, her caution, and her contentment with/need for solitude.

✦ Piglet 
Winnie the Pooh


Gimme an 'A,' gimme an 'N,' gimme an 'X,' gimme an 'I,' gimme an 'E' —

✦ Rabbit 
Winnie the Pooh


Rabbit literally just wants some peace and quiet in which to tend his garden and keep his burrow clean and manage his clinically high levels of stress.  Unbelievably relatable.

✦ Claude Frollo 
The Hunchback of Notre Dame


LISTEN, LEMME 'SPLAIN. Am I a xenophobic megalomaniacal sexual predator? I hope I can honestly say, no. 😂

But Frollo is the most Enneagram One Disney villain of all Enneagram One Disney villains — and that, I feel. Frollo's religiosity, his legalism, his wannabe asceticism, his Pharisaism, and his phobia of sexuality all hit me where I live. (Or, praise God, where I have lived in the past.)

✦ Violet Parr 
The Incredibles


I've said before that Violet and Dash are basically my younger brother and I, and I still think there are some uncanny similarities. 😅  Violet's a bit of a loner and can tend to affect apathy as a defense mechanism, but deep down, despite her occasional annoyance, she loves her family and enjoys being with them. 

(She's also 3000% Over It™, a state of being which becomes more and more personally significant to me with every passing day.)

✦ Mike Yagoobian 
Meet the Robinsons


I'm currently seeking damages from Walt Disney Animation Studios for using unauthorized footage of me when designing Goob.  The chronic exhaustion, the melodramatic tendencies, the catastrophizing, the social anxiety, the medically concerning undereye circles — he is I.  I am he.


To close out this li'l post, here's an excellently made tribute to Disney movies in all their glory.  (Warning:  fanvid contents may cause intense sensations of nostalgia.)  Enjoy. ♥



Let's celebrate Disney in the comments!
Which character do you relate to the most?
Which is your favorite movie?

Comments

  1. ELSA, MY QUEEN

    As a fellow sufferer of OCD and other forms of clinical anxiety... yup, yup, and yup. I fully agree that Elsa is one of the best and most accurate fictional portrayals of our lived experience. Certainly she's the most relatable Disney character for me. And I love how complex she is; how many strong, conflicting emotions she's allowed to feel and express and even act on and still not be the villain. Ppl be like "Let It Go is so overrated" and I'm like no actually, Let It Go is severely UNDERRATED and you have FAILED TO UNDERSTAND ITS MESSAGE

    I loved the sequel, too, for the same reason I adore "Toy Story 4" (#unpopular opinion alert), because they're both about relinquishing the life path others have chosen for you and choosing one for yourself instead. Which is really important to me, since that's a lesson I have had to learn several times ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LONG MAY SHE REIGN

      Yussss, the depiction of anxiety -- particularly this kind of anxiety -- is really excellent. I love Elsa. And I love Frozen. And I love you. ;D

      Oh, no, I adore the sequel! I actually like Frozen II better than Frozen, overall! I just don't find Elsa's arc as personally relatable in the second one, but I still think it's a fantastic and important arc. But yes! I can totally see why you would love that theme, given its significance in your own life. ;) <3

      Delete
    2. love you too, friend! *big hugs*

      Delete
  2. I actually hadn’t heard of half of these characters, but you’ve made me want to!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review