My Top Ten New-to-Me Films of 2023

Happy New Year, friends!  


2023 was really the year of Studio Ghibli, for me.  Not one, not two, but three Ghibli films made it onto my top ten list!  Exciting times.

Most of the new-to-me movies I watched this year were pretty average; only a few blew me out of the water.  That said, this list was harder to narrow down than I thought it would be.  As usual, I'm not 100% satisfied with the finished product.  But such is life, and as it's already two weeks later than I'd have liked to publish this post, here we are.

#10.  Bill (2015) ● NR


A young and ambitious Will Shakespeare leaves Stratford-upon-Avon for the bustling city of London, hoping for a haven of artistic possibility in which to pursue his newest dream of being an author.  Much to his surprise, he soon finds himself embroiled in a plot to kill Elizabeth I.

Intentionally anachronistic dialogue and mannerisms set in historical contexts will never not tickle my fancy, so this is right up my alley.  It's silly and witty in almost equal measure.  The pacing drags a bit because there's really nothing to the film besides the screwball comedy, but there are some treasures in the script.  Behold:

"I have to be careful of the bivalves."
"It's a disguise — or, one might say, a dispiese."
"People will remember the name 'Shakespeare' . . . twenty years from now!"
"I don't 👏 know what 👏 that means! 👏"
"And nibbles, fetch some nibbles."
"All right!  Don't stab the messenger . . . please."
"Poor people are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers."
"Ooh, a cameo!"
"Seriously, Lope, what is wrong with you?  Is this about your dad?"
"That poor, sexy woman."
"Saying something in a short, snappy way instead of a long, drawn-out way is the soul of wit."  "Do you mean brevity?"  "Yeah."
"Let's call that Plan J."
"And stop leaving me multiple chamber pots.  It's very confusing."
"SoMeONe KnOWs a LoT aBoUT CaThOLiCs!"

#9.  Willow (1988) ● PG


A farmer assumes the guardianship of an orphaned baby found floating down the river near his home.  When it is revealed that the child is prophesied to overthrow an evil queen who is now hunting her, the farmer undertakes to get her to safety.  

The vibes are vibing, you guys.  A rollicking, slightly offbeat fantasy flick that somehow remains pretty sweet despite its Very '80s™ nature.  I like it quite a lot.  Val Kilmer's performance is fun and over-the-top, as usual, but Warwick Davis is a standout, as well.

#8.  The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) ● NR


When moony high school senior Susan Turner becomes infatuated with much older artist Richard Nugent after he gives a guest lecture at her school, the innocent Richard soon finds himself in a compromising position.  Luckily, Susan's wry older sister and guardian, Margaret, who also happens to be the local judge, has a plan to disabuse Susan of her inappropriate crush, and she enlists Richard's help to do it.

You know what's really Important™?  The fact that despite its comedic premise, this 1940s film never pretends that statutory rape is funny.  Cary Grant's character is never anything but horrified by the idea that anyone could ever think he would even consider seducing a teenager.  There's no wink wink, nudge nudge here.  There's no, "Man, if I could without being caught . . . "  There's no, "Well, back in the good old days . . . "  There's just pure rage at the bare suggestion, and appropriately so, and I love the makers for that.

The rom-com angle (not between the teenager and the adult, to reiterate) is cute and satisfying as well, and Myrna Loy rocking the room as a whole boss-babe judge?!  I can't begin to describe how much I am Here For That™.


The script is also hilarious and so clever.

"This is a conspiracy!"
"You're not married, are you?"  "No."  "Oh, I knew it.  You just couldn't be."  "Well, I've had some offers."
"You're being too cold about this; you have to look at things emotionally."
"A woman scorned is a fury!"
"I'm old enough to be your father."  "You're so right, dear."
"This is a fine way to treat a veteran!"
"I'm sorry, I've never been subjected to so much charm before."
"Garkon, champagne!"

#6.  The Secret World of Arrietty (2010)G


A family of miniature people live behind the walls and beneath the floorboards of a quiet house in the country.  They make their living scavenging bits and pieces of materials that the human occupants don't notice — until, one night, the daughter is spotted by a newcomer to the house.

The vibes are IMMACULATE in this one.  The story is a bit boring to me, but the setting and music are fantastic, as usual.  I really, really love the way that Studio Ghibli recognizes and prioritizes the value of silence and contemplation and stillness.  In this film, quiet is practically imbued with restorative, healing properties, and I appreciate that.

#6.  Ponyo (2008) G


The strong-willed daughter of an aquatic wizard is determined to befriend a human boy, and their connection eventually unleashes a tidal wave of magic onto their seaside community.

I wrestled and wrestled and wrestled with whether to rank this above or below Arrietty.  The setting and color palette and overall vibe of Arrietty are much more my style, but story-wise, I do find Ponyo more interesting.  It's also more briskly paced, so it has more re-watch potential for me.

It's obviously very similar to The Little Mermaid, but there are sufficient deviations from the fairytale to keep it from feeling too derivative.  I especially like the subplots with Ponyo's and Sosuke's parents.  Both couples are very secondary to the plot, but they're given some narrative weight, as well, which is satisfying.

#5.  Free Guy (2021) ● PG-13


Two video game creators struggle to regain the property rights to their work while one of their characters begins to take on a life of his own.

I had exactly zero (0) intentions of ever watching this, but it was selected for a friend's movie night, and I'm very glad it was.  I was so unexpectedly impressed by this.  The embedded narrative/video game structure was more successful than that of a lot of other films because the distinction between reality and virtual reality is maintained, despite their interaction.  Guy, for example, is an artificial concept who exists on an artificial plane, not a real human person who can enter the real world, and the script neither forgets that nor denies Guy the fullness of a character arc.  This helps the film to achieve a much better execution of the "artificial entity attains consciousness" premise than, for example, Barbie (2023).

Free Guy is also remarkable in that it manages to celebrate the creative potential of video game creation and play, while still exploring and interrogating the implications of hyperviolent video games wherein players are conditioned to see humanoid extras as expendable.  


The film does falter when it tries to be deeper than it is (i.e. the climactic confrontation between Millie and Antwan), but overall, I thought it was great.  Fun and funny and fresh.  I ended up loving the romance, including the fact that it was so understated and tertiary to the plot.  ("I'm a love letter to you" — SHUT THE FRONT DOOR why is that so cute?!)

Also, Channing Tatum's comedic acting is the gift that keeps on giving lately.  First The Lost City and now this.

#4.  Les Miserables (2018) ● TV-14


Hardened ex-convict Jean Valjean breaks his parole, but spends the next several years reforming his character, building a successful business, and enriching the lives of those in his community while evading a relentless police officer obsessed with bringing him to "justice".  When Valjean realizes that he has inadvertently brought a former employee to ruin, he dedicates himself to helping her impoverished daughter.  Their lives intersect with many others against the backdrop of the impending June Revolution of 1832.  A miniseries adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic.

Overall, a stunning adaptation of Hugo's story.  This is the first screen version of Les Mis I've seen that really follows the full trajectory of the book.  Naturally (and mercifully), it's not as myopic as the book is — can you imagine what a yawn fest that would be? — but it spotlights and fleshes out several subplots and side characters that don't often get as much attention.

The best aspect of this miniseries is, hands down, Dominic West's phenomenal turn as Valjean.  He translates this character from page to screen almost flawlessly.  Terrific stuff.  The rest of the (absolutely stacked) cast is excellent, as well.  The script doesn't quite seem to grasp what makes Javert tick, but David Oyelowo does wonderfully with the material he's been given, even if it's not 100% on-target.

My primary complaint is that the pacing falters in the last couple of episodes, as the show rushes a couple of the story's climaxes and wraps up some loose ends a bit sloppily.  Turns out that six episodes is one or two too few for this story.  Still, though, it's wonderful overall.

I highly recommend this version for fans of either the original novel or the musical.

#3.  Castle in the Sky (1986) PG


A young girl and her newfound friend realize that she possesses the key to locating a mystical ancient city.  They set out to find the city, encountering dangerous enemies and unexpected allies along the way.

My favorite Studio Ghibli film so far.  The friendship between the two MCs is so wholesome, and I love the soundtrack.  The visuals, as always, are stunning and soothing, and the plot holds your attention.

#2.  The Little Mermaid (2023) ● PG


A bright young mermaid princess named Ariel becomes enamored of life above the surface, much to her father's chagrin.  Against her own better judgment, Ariel makes a dangerous deal with a scheming sea witch for a chance to experience life as a human.  A remake of the 1989 classic.

LISTEN, I don't wanna hear any criticism about this movie.

The way that the writers and Halle Bailey took that insufferable brat from the original and turned her into a mature, resourceful, intelligent, sweet, graceful, reasonable, assertive heroine for whom you can't not root is crazy to me.  Major props to everyone involved.  And don't get me started on the Ariel/Eric romance in this version, because what the heck?!  Who gave them permission to be so stinking wholesome?!  Who gave them permission to make me actually care about that relationship?!  The audacity.


Granted, there are several aspects of this film that are . . . not great.  The CGI in the underwater scenes is meh, the script is cheesy in parts, and Javier Bardem turns in an unsettlingly mid performance as Triton.  (Seriously, sir — I appreciate that you understand that absolutely no one is coming to this movie for you, but also, you are an Academy Award-winning actor, my good man.  Maybe put in an ounce of effort?)

But the balance of the movie comes out overwhelmingly to the positive, in my opinion.  It's delightful.  Not flawless by any means, but delightful.  The remake expounds upon and improves the story beautifully, fleshing out the two MCs and addressing several issues from the original.  And, not to be redundant, but I have to circle back to Halle Bailey's performance.  She's stunning.  Has the voice of a literal angel combined with this magnetic screen presence.  I knew she would be incredible, and boy, was she.  I could not take my eyes off her whenever she was onscreen.  

See also (if you don't mind semi-spoilers):  this screenshot of a Tumblr post that lists a few of the little details that made the remake so fantastic.

#1.  The Lion in Winter (1968) ● PG


Wrestling with indecision regarding the question of succession, King Henry II of England decides to bring what remains of his estranged family together for the Yuletide:  the pugnacious eldest son, Richard; the cynical second-born, Geoffrey; the bumbling baby of the family, John; and Henry's exiled wife, Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine.  The five royals come against each other in a complex battle of wills as each makes their bid for power.  Complicating matters still further are a young King Philip II of Spain and his half-sister, Alais, who has long lived in the English castle, in theory as Richard's intended fiancee but in reality as Henry's mistress.

Why did I love this bizarre, infinitely dysfunctional chess game of a film so much?  It boils down to the richness of the script and the gleeful abandon of the two lead actors.  Hepburn and O'Toole throw themselves wholesale into the chaos and moral swampland of the story, embodying the main characters in all their scheming, manipulative, revolting, insecure, petulant, tender glory, and for some reason, I find it all unutterably satisfying.

I'm biased, of course, but some of Hepburn's acting choices in particular floor me.  The subtlety of the venom she injects into her voice when delivering certain lines, like a poisoned dart wrapped in cheery floral paper, scratches a very specific itch in my brain that I didn't know was there.  She's just stunning.  And O'Toole is phenomenal as well.  That entire "My life, when it's written, will read better than it lived" sequence is fantastic.  My gosh.  The interplay between the whole cast is extraordinary; they exchange those missiles of dialogue like shuttlecocks, and it's magnificent.  I don't understand how the acting manages to be so bombastic, so larger-than-life, yet so subtle and nuanced and intentional at the exact same time.


The script is theatrical and acerbic, positively blistering in places, and I adore it.

"Henry's bed is Henry's province; he can people it with sheep, for all I care — which, on occasion, he has done."
"I'd hang you from the nipples, but you'd shock the children."
"Don't everybody sob at once."
"I've snapped and plotted all my life.  There's no other way to be a king, alive, and fifty all at once."
"It's my tombstone!  Eleanor, you spoil me!"
"I've borne six girls, five boys, and thirty-one connubial years of you.  How am I possible?"
"The hot wine steams, the yule log roars, and we're the fat that's in the fire."
"What a tragedy you are."
"I'm like the earth, old man:  there isn't any way around me."
"You dare to damn me?  Well, I'll damn you back."
"We could tangle spiders in the webs you weave."
"It's not the power I feel deprived of; it's the mention I miss.  There's no affection for me here.  You wouldn't think I'd want that, would you?"
"Hush, dear; mother's fighting."
"I won't trade off Alais or the Aquitaine to that walking postule!"
"Well, what shall we hang — the holly or each other?"
"I could peel you like a pear and God himself would call it justice."  (I mean?!?!)


Honorable Mentions:
How to Steal a Million (1966)
No Reservations (2007)
The Apartment (1960)
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)
Over the Garden Wall (2014)
The Color Purple (1985)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Best in Show (2000)



What's the best film you watched for the first time last year?


Comments

  1. THANK YOU. Halle Bailey in "The Little Mermaid" was A Gift (TM) and I will not hear anyone say otherwise. And Jonah Hauer-King managed to do the one thing I should have said it was impossible for any actor to do--make me care about Prince Eric. I also delighted in the mixed Caribbean and Portuguese vibes and the lush, verdant, yet not oppressively tropical setting. The whole movie was a gorgeous feast for the senses, and I loved it.

    "The Secret Life of Arietty" is based on those books about "The Borrowers," right? I'm fairly sure it is (tiny family lives in a normal human's house and has to escape detection). The books were unnecessarily dramatic, though, so I'm glad to hear the movie is calmer and more contemplative ;)

    Best movies I watched this year... I always have a hard time remembering which films I've seen, but I know I really enjoyed "Barbie" and also--funnily enough--"The Great Escape." I watched the latter with a friend who's a classic movie buff, and while I usually have little interest in Old Hollywood, her love for these older films helps me enjoy some of them too. "The Great Escape" was a fascinating mix of upbeat adventure and somber tragedy, and the soundtrack/score was to die for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHE WAS MAGNIFICENT and we shan't stand for the haters. And YES -- how they managed to make me care about that relationship, and about those two characters individually, I'll never know, but I'm sure glad they did. The setting was delicious -- as you say, lush and verdant but not oppressively tropical. Loved it.

      Yep, yep, so I am led to believe! Hee hee, I never read the books, but did pick up a free copy of the first one after watching the movie.

      Ooh, yes! I figured Barbie would make your list, and I'm tickled you liked The Great Escape, knowing as I do that old Hollywood typically doesn't do it for you. ;) I only watched TGE once and I didn't feel much of any which way about it. I might like it more if I tried it again.

      Delete
  2. I love 'Ponyo', so cute although I do think the message they are sending kind of make the film too serious for me. 'Castle in the sky' is one of my ultimate favorite Studio Ghibli film. I think Ghibli films should be watched in Japanese. Watching them with English audio has a different feel. How to steal a million is my favorite Audrey Hepburn film.

    Sadly, I didn't watch many films last year. But I did finally watch 'Shang-Chi and the legend of the ten rings' - it was pretty good but it's not a favoirte. Shang-chi is worthy of being a hero but this is more of an origin sort of movie so he's more upstaged by his father.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghibli themes are definitely heavier than you expect them to be, but I don't mind them in the cuter/more lighthearted stories like Ponyo. I've only watched English-dubbed versions, which is kind of strange, because I ordinarily can't stand watching English dubs of foreign language films. Maybe I tolerate the dubs better with Ghibli because they're animated? *shrugs*

      HTSAM is a fantastic choice as your favorite Audrey film. It's so much fun.

      Interesting, interesting! I haven't watched Shang-Chi.

      I hope you have a lovely day, as well.

      Delete
  3. Okay, I haven't seen most of these, but you've definitely added movies to my list of 'want to watch'. Like Bill--because I cannot RESIST a movie with a witty script. Same thing with The Lion in Winter.

    I have seen Willow, and it's a family favorite for sure, and The Secret World of Arrietty was the first Ghibli movie I ever watched, actually! The books that it's based on (The Borrowers series by Mary Norton) were a big part of my childhood, and it was really cool to see that world brought to life.

    I hadn't actually known what Ponyo was about, but now that I do, it's going on my list of Ghibli Movies To Watch, which is a little too long, since I don't often watch Ghibli movies, but that's a minor detail.

    And I'm very intrigued by the Little Mermaid movie! I hadn't heard much about it, either for good or ill, but now I've heard good things about it I may just need to watch it one of these days.

    The best film I watched for the first time this past year is a hard question, especially since I have the memory of a goldfish for movies. But it may have been The Passion of the Christ, which I watched for the first time this past year on Good Friday...and it WRECKED me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep, I hope you enjoy both Bill and TLIW if you try them! They both most certainly have witty scripts, though they couldn't really be more different.

      Willow definitely seems like it would be a great family film. I'm kind of bummed I didn't grow up watching it with my parents and sibs. But I do want to show it to them, so maybe we'll make up for lost time. Aww, love your connection to Arrietty! I picked up a free copy of the first Borrowers book after watching it, so, hopefully I'll get around to reading it one of these days.

      Haha, I hope you like Ponyo! It grew on me.

      I HIGHLY recommend the new Little Mermaid movie! It's fantastic!

      Yeesh, I've never been emotionally ready for The Passion of the Christ. Watching it on Good Friday would be An Experience (TM), that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. Well, I clearly need to see Bill. Dude.

    Willow is one of my dear favorites. SO GOOD. Everyone is just ON in this movie.

    So, uh... I always assumed The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer was all about an older guy who likes teen girls? And I always avoided it, because EW? Because I wanted to continue liking Cary Grant? BUT now you are assuring me this is entirely not so!!! So now I have to see this.

    Arrietty is on my TBW shelves. It will be watched.

    Free Guy alllllllmost made my top 10 too! The only reason I left it off is that I have not felt the need to buy a copy for my shelves, unlike the others in my top 10. I have watched it twice, but am okay with just having access to it on Disney+. But it is a really likeable, remarkably deep movie. Reminds me a lot of The Truman Show. (And Taika Waititi is just Always Funny.)

    You have convinced me to give the new Little Mermaid a try. I greatly dislike the original, so hearing that this has an Ariel who is Not A Brat makes me interested at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd probably have fun watching Bill together. Like I said, there's nothing much to it besides the script, but still. It'd be a fun afternoon flick, and we'd snort uproariously. And as a kind of parody, it's got that "loving" feel that you've discussed re. Support Your Local Sheriff!, so I think you'd dig it.

      Yesshhh, I have so much fun with Willow. Looking forward to showing it to my dad and maybe a few of my siblings!

      SO VALID. But yes, I'm thrilled to be able to reassure you that TBATBS is NOT glorifying predatorial tendencies in any way whatsoever. I think you'd have fun with it.

      Ooh, fun that Free Guy almost made your list too! That's a good litmus test, I think -- whether or not we feel the need to buy a copy for ourselves at some point. Taika Waititi has never failed me yet! I love his work.

      Yessss, mission accomplished! I'm right there with you on the original Little Mermaid; I never liked it growing up and the OG Ariel has always driven me NUTS. I did gain a little sentimental appreciation for the original movie after watching it with a friend who loved it, but overall -- blech. The remake, however, is marvelous. And Ariel is so likable. I mean, she still makes mistakes, but is more clearly conflicted on those mistakes, and just has a better attitude in general.

      Delete
  5. I stumbled onto your blog by accident and now I am hooked! I love reading your reviews! I don't usually read blogs unless they are for teaching or art (I'm an art teacher. ;)). But now I am so glad I have a place to go to get great reviews on books and movies!!! Your tastes are so similar to mine!

    The BBC Robin Hood review is what brought me here. I had seen all of Season 1 and I was debating on whether or not watch Season 2. My sister told me NOT to watch it. But I LOVE Season 1 sooooooooo much! The characters are amazing...Marion, Robin, Will, Allen, Djaq...all of them! (Oh, and I totally get what you mean by fearing to hate Sir Guy. I, too, am a fan of "North and South" (both the book and the movie)).

    When I read how much you enjoy "The Princess Bride" (the book and the movie), I knew I found a kindred spirit (as Anne would say) in you. It has been about 3 years since I have read the book and I only read it once, but after reading your review I think I need to read it again so it is all fresh in my mind and because it is so darn awesome!

    I will definitely be visiting your blog again. I have already pinned many of your reviews that I plan to read soon. I am especially looking forward to reading your review on "Christy" (1994-1995) and "Jane Eyre" (2006 and 2011).

    Oh, "The Little Mermaid" (2023), I absolutely agree! Halle Bailey plays a stunning performance as Ariel. And what I truly love about this version is that you really feel like you get to know Prince Eric. This version goes so much deeper into his character than the original.

    Okay, I have probably rambled on long enough! Later!

    Heather L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Heather! That makes me so happy! What are some of your favorite books and movies?

      THE BBC ROBIN HOOD, MY LOVE!! *vibrates with emotion* Man, that series had a chokehold on adolescent me. And tbh, it kind of still does. Advising someone on whether or not to continue with the series after season 1 is a very Fraught(TM) process, hehe, so I don't know how to go about it! Let me know if you want spoilers -- or, of course, you could just go read the other reviews.

      The original novel Princess Bride DEFINITELY has a chokehold on me. Man, I love it to death.

      Thanks so much again for visiting, reading, and commenting, Heather! Bear with any childish excesses in my old writing, haha.

      100% agree with you on the new Little Mermaid! It's a triumph.

      Delete
  6. I have seen exactly none of these movies (except How to Steal a Million in the honourable mentions… does that count?) but now I plan to! I was a wee bit doubtful about the new Little Mermaid, but with your positive review I’ll definately check it out ;)

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to Steal a Million definitely counts, haha! And the new Little Mermaid has my glowing endorsement, for what that's worth. ;D

      Thanks for commenting, Astrya (and I promise I do plan to get over to your new blog and comment soon)!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review