A Few of My Favorite Fictional Fathers

First of all:  A gentle hug for all of those to whom this day brings more pain than joy.  For those who have lost children, for those who have lost fathers, for those who wish they could have a closer connection to their child or their father, for those who have been abused by their child or their father, for those who — for whatever reason at all — just have a complicated relationship with this day.   You are inexpressibly loved. ♥


Greetings, gremlins!  Having celebrated my favorite fictional mamas last month, I would be remiss if I didn't give The Boys™ the same treatment, wouldn't I?

This list was actually harder to finalize than the last one, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with who made the final cut and who was relegated to the Honorable Mentions category, but we're gonna go with it.  The title promises "a few of my favorite fictional fathers," right? 😉

⸻ ⸻ 

Jacob Whitting
Sarah, Plain and Tall (1991);
Sarah, Plain and Tall:  Skylark (1993);
and Sarah, Plain and Tall:  Winter's End (1999)


Granted, in the first film, Jacob has a decent bit of growing to do as a parent, but he's still a great father even then.  You can clearly see his devotion to his children and the tenderness and playfulness hiding under his stoic, pragmatic exterior.  The moment when he comforts Anna before leaving to pick up Sarah is sweet. ♥

His prioritization of his children is seen again in the second film when he and Sarah decide that she'll evacuate them from the drought by taking them to Maine, and the glass gag is one of my mom's and my favorite parts of the show.  ("Thank you for that.")

❀ George Banks ❀
Father of the Bride (1991) and 
Father of the Bride Part II (1995)


George is often the first character who springs to mind when I'm talking about fictional fathers I like.  I have a lot of nostalgic affection for him.  Sure, he's a neurotic little nut, but at the same time, he's got several Points™, especially when it comes to the absurdity of wedding budgets.  (A cake is, in fact, made of flour and water.  Try to make me pay $1,200 for one and see what happens.  I'll stand with George.)

Plus, he's a hardworking guy who really does love his family and wants to provide for them.  He's a solid dude.

Thomas Fairchild 
Sabrina (1995)


"Did she mention David?"
"Just that life without him was a hopeless abyss of misery and despair — I believe those were her words."

Thomas is awesome.  I love that he'll call Sabrina out on her immaturity while also reinforcing her worth as a person.  He wants what's best for her and will push her to pursue that when necessary, but at other times he'll step back and allow her to make her own decisions.  Her always respects her adulthood, and his honesty with her demonstrates his loyalty as her friend as well as her father.

(Plus, as Sabrina herself says, I love that he became a chauffeur because he wanted to have time to read.  And I love his apartment littered with books that he actually reads.  And I love that he keeps investing in Sabrina's future, trying to give her the best head start he can.  And I love that he affirms her talent for photography.  And . . . )

Atticus Finch
To Kill a Mockingbird


I like book-Atticus a tad bit better because we get more development for his character, but I love Gregory Peck's portrayal in the movie, as well.

Speaking with the vast authority of someone who is ✨not a parent✨, it seems to me that the healthiest parents are those who regard their children not as clay to be molded but as individual people to be discovered.  Of course, good parents recognize their responsibility to cultivate the appropriate virtues and values in their children, but the best parents I've encountered are delighted by their children's individuality.  They enjoy getting to know their kids as people, finding out what makes them tick, how they feel, what they're thinking.  Atticus fits that bill.  He loves, mentors, corrects, and tries to protect his kids, but he doesn't try to change them.  I appreciate that.

❀ Elrond Half-elven 
The Lord of the Rings


"Do I not also have your love?"

LISTEN ✋😭 

I think last year's Tolkien Party post articulated most of my feelings about Elrond, so I'll just direct you there instead of saying more here.

⸻ ⸻ 

Honorable Mentions:

Elgin Branch (Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Abe Weissman (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)
Mortimer Folchart (Inkheart)
George Newton (Beethoven's 2nd)
Andrew Taylor (The Andy Griffith Show)
Bob Belcher (Bob's Burgers
Hans Hubermann (The Book Thief)
Will McLean (In My Father's House)
and more 😉

⸻ ⸻ 

Happy Father's Day!
Who are your favorite fictional paters?




Comments

  1. Atticus Finch is a top-notch choice. I agree, he's wonderful in the movie but shines even more in the book. Especially since we see more of his relationship with Scout, fleshed out in smaller, seemingly inconsequential conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, yep. Atticus is our collective book dad, and what a great one he is.

      Delete
  2. Solid list! I have no complaints :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a joy to find a fellow Father of the Bride fan! Those films are my comfort movies!
    ~ Miss Winifred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I grew up on them and I still love them SO much. They're delightful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review