Romantic Films That Deserve More Love


What-ho, friends, and a happy St. Valentine's Day to you all!  As is my wont, I'm choosing to commemorate the holiday on the blog this year in the commercialized lovey-dovey Western sense rather than in the traditional sacred virtue sense.  That is to say, I'm sharing another post on fictional romances — in this case, romance movies.

(Yes, I've already blogged about most of these movies before.  No, that is not about to stop me from blogging about them today.)


These aren't necessarily obscure films, but I don't tend to see them represented in fan edit culture or discussed on social media or included in those "best of" articles.  So here I am, doing my part to get them the recognition they deserve, like the indefatigable agent of cinematic justice I aspire to be. ✌

Since I can't be bothered to write a decent blurb, I've looked to the good fellows at IMDb to supply the deficiency for each of these movies (with the exception of Return to Me, because IMDB's tagline for that one was far too cheesy for me to countenance republishing, so I just wrote my own).  I also inserted a couple of bracketed edits into a few of IMDb's blurbs as I saw fit. 

I always enjoy cozying up with a nice romantic movie on Valentine's Day, so hopefully this post can help you out if you share the same affinity but are looking for a new show to try.

(MPAA ratings included; I don't condone all content in all of these films; yada yada yada.) 

♥♥♥♥♥

Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ● PG-13


<< This contemporary romantic comedy based on a global bestseller follows native New Yorker Rachel Chu to Singapore to meet her boyfriend's [unexpectedly wealthy] family. {IMDb} >>

Again, certainly not an obscure movie, but still one that I feel deserves more attention than it gets.  It's a wonderful rom-com, with a sweet and wholesome and supportive relationship at its center and important themes of family expectations and boundaries surrounding that relationship.  

Destination Wedding (2018) R


<< The story of two miserable and unpleasant wedding guests, Lindsay and Frank, who develop a mutual affection despite themselves. {IMDb} >>

Such a delightfully random, talky, acerbic, sensitive little rom-com.  Give me more of Keanu Reeves awkwardly trying to impress pretty girls with his useless opinions and less of him shooting up whole cities' worth of bad guys.  

French Kiss (1995) ● PG-13


<< A woman flying to France to confront her straying fiance gets into trouble when the charming crook seated next to her uses her for smuggling. {IMDb} >>

A lovely summer flick.  Me personally, I'm always up for watching the inimitable Meg Ryan run around France in pursuit of Timothy Hutton while entertaining absurd and adorable chemistry with a thickly accented Kevin Kline.

I Want You Back (2022) ● R


<< Newly-dumped thirtysomethings Peter and Emma team up to sabotage their exes' new relationships and win them back for good. {IMDb} >>

I only watched this once, so I couldn't give in-depth details, but I remember liking it quite a bit.  The two leads are funny and charming together, from what I can recall.

Lorna Doone (2000) ● NR


<< Against a backdrop of political and religious upheaval, a farmer falls in love with the "queen" of the notorious Doone clan --a family that he has sworn vengeance on. {IMDb}>>

Melodramatic and oddly paced though it is, this is a pretty darn compelling love story.  It also features a lot of politics and intrigue in addition to the romance, so there's something here for those who aren't so keen on straight mush.

Music and Lyrics (2007) ● PG-13


<< A washed up singer is given a couple days to compose a chart-topping hit for an aspiring teen sensation. Though he's never written a decent lyric in his life, he sparks with an offbeat younger woman with a flair for words. {IMDb} >>

Re-watched this for the first time in a few years recently and was surprised by how well it held up.  It's nothing earth-shattering, certainly, but as a genre film, it's pretty decent.  It's one of those films about music that features dreadful music (it and similar shows could take a cue or two from Begin Again and August Rush, believe you me), but, c'est la vie.  If you can get past the cringe-y, cliche songs, you can enjoy the other aspects of the film, like Hugh Grant's endlessly entertaining line delivery and a reasonably sweet sibling relationship.

(Also, lest IMDb's blurb concern you, the "younger woman" is not that much younger.  Grant's character isn't robbing any cradles in this.)

Return to Me (2000) PG


<< A man loses his wife to a car accident just as a woman in the same city receives a heart donor.  Months later, their paths cross. >>

I don't plan to stop ramming this movie down people's throats any time soon.  It's a precious love of a rom-com and more genre fans should watch it and that is what I shall say to Lady Cumnor this evening.

Runaway Bride (1999) ● PG


<< A reporter is assigned to write a story about a woman who has left a string of fiancés at the altar. {IMDb} >>

This movie is much better than a story with its premise and title has any right to be, but there you are.  The plot is kind of unhinged, but the film somehow rolls with and interrogates that unhinged-ness really successfully, yielding the finished product of a simple, sweet, self-aware movie that has some genuinely productive things to say about supportive but honest friendship, appropriate family boundaries, and the importance of self-knowledge in romantic relationships.

As an added bonus, it's also really satisfying and cozy to watch during the autumn season.

The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996)PG-13


<< A shy, middle-aged professor enters into a romantic but non-physical relationship with an unlucky-in-love colleague. {IMDb} >>

This blurb is a little misleading, because it makes it sound like both parties are just contentedly asexual people who enter a mutually satisfactory romantic partnership that doesn't involve sex since neither of them are interested in sex.  That's . . . not what happens in this movie. 😅  (Also, Rose really isn't shy?  She has a poor self-image, but she isn't shy.)

Anyway.  This is a wacky one, I warn you, but I actually really enjoy it.  It's got some awkward/cringe moments, for sure, but it's also got some genuinely valuable things to say about "our modern myths of sex and beauty," as the back cover of the DVD case puts it.  

{Speaking of which, consider this a PSA.  By virtue of its premise, this movie contains a lot of conversation about sex, but more in the "thoughtful analysis of the complex, multifaceted nature of sex as a human experience, what influencing factors it involves beyond the actual act of it, what it is and what it ought to be" sense instead of the "titillating innuendoes about sex as a randy/exploitative fantasy" sense.  While this thematic exploration is not at all approached from a Christian perspective, I think it does have value for Christian viewers (depending upon each viewer and subject to each viewer's discretion and conviction, of course).  It's a secular view of sex, but it's still a very considered and (I would argue) responsible view, as well.}

It's also got some unexpectedly funny and wholesome moments.  ("I should have never encouraged you to speak.")  ("She eats carrots now!  Isn't that tragic?")

This Is Not What I Expected (2017) ● TV-PG


<< An obsessive CEO of a company meets a ragged chef by chance. They are drawn closer together because of their love for delicacies, yet their personalities clash big time. {IMDb} >>

(Not them calling her "ragged" 😭✋😂)

The antagonists-to-lovers relationship between these two is so random and chaotic but I'm low-key obsessed with them?!?  They're so quirky and grumpy and wholesome and I adore them.

What If (2013) ● PG-13


<< Wallace, who is burned out from a string of failed relationships, forms an instant bond with Chantry, who lives with her longtime boyfriend. Together, they puzzle out what it means if your best friend is also the love of your life. {IMDb} >>

(Apparently, in some regions, this film is entitled The F Word, but in other regions it's What If?  Danged if I know.  Obviously, I go with WI.)

As I've said before, I appreciate that this movie is essentially When Harry Met Sally but with a much more responsible/less problematic approach to the central thematic question.  The supporting characters are pretty annoying, but the leads are reasonably easy to root for.

♥♥♥♥♥

What are your favorite lovey-dovey movies to watch on or around Valentine's Day?  Gimme all the recs!

Comments

  1. The shot of Leslie and Ben's wedding though? *chef's kiss*

    Yes, Crazy Rich Asians! I loved that movie! Saw it twice in theaters, in fact. And there was this weird backlash to it afterwards where people affected to be super bored by it because "ugh, it's just a movie about rich people"--ma'am, do you know how many movies there are about rich white people?? Sit Down

    Besides, it's not just a movie about rich people. It's a really smart and thought provoking story about love and family and respect and boundaries. And I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Their wedding has always felt so Valentine-y to me. Beslie is elite. <3

      YES! I think I watched it after reading your review, actually! And I was like, "She's right; this is awesome." Trying to call it boring because it's "just a movie about rich people" is so weird. First of all, as you said, it's NOT just a movie about rich people -- it's actually quite thematically valuable -- but also, um, you're going to look at the visuals in that movie and say it's BORING???! You have no sense of aesthetic integrity and I thumb my nose at you, Sir.

      But on a serious note, yes, its exploration of family and romantic relationships and healthy boundaries is really neat and productive. I like it, too. :)

      Thanks for commenting, love! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review