A Bookish Post

It has been too long, my dear friends, since I've had a post specifically devoted to bibliophilic things, so here we are.


I thought I'd let you know what I've been reading lately, what I'd like to read soon, etc., as well as filling out my answers to a tag I received from the awesome Lia over at Catholic Girl Stuff!  Go check out her blog!

So, first things first.

Recent Bookworm Stats

~ The last book I read all the way through was Crime and Punishment.  (And yes, this was a school read.  As a general rule, I do not dive towards the Russian authors when I'm reading for fun.  Sorry.)

~ The book I am currently reading (for fun) is Little Women.  A re-read, this, and GUUUYYYYYSSS.  I love Alcott's writing.  She's just awesome.  (Plus, um, the '94 movie.  Can I get an amen.)

~ The book I'm really looking forward to reading next is either The Wizard of Oz, The Seakeeper's Daughters, or Charlotte's Web.  That last one would be another re-read, but I've had sort of a hankering for it recently . . .

~ I have recently acquired lots of books.  I worry sometimes that I'm a compulsive thrift-store book-buyer.

~ Two of the last books I have to read for literature class are both by Lewis, and one of them happens to be my favorite. #win

~ You guys, I finally took the plunge and arranged my bookcase according to color.  AND I LOVED IT SO MUCH.  It doesn't look absolutely stellar (yet ;)), but it was and is immensely satisfying.  Wanna see?


The Bibliophile Tag (originally by Catherine of The Rebelling Muse)

As I understand it from Lia's post, the rules are simply to answer the questions, link back to Catherine, and let her know that you've answered the questions.  (And to share with other bloggers, but being the lazy person I am, I'm not going to follow that last one.)  Thanks for creating the tag, Catherine!  And thanks again to you, Lia, for tagging me! :)

1. What is your favorite fantasy novel/series?  Ach, I don't know!  It all depends on how strict your categories are -- if Peter Pan by Barrie counts, then Peter Pan.  But, since that could also be classified as a children's book, Inkheart is another favorite.  Mainly the first book and the movie -- I want to give the other books another try, but they weren't doing it for me last time.  And, of course, The Lord of the Rings.  But.  Well.  That kind of goes without saying. ;)  Actually, I don't read/watch LotR all that often *ducks* (though I do want to re-read the trilogy soon), and you can read what I say about my relationship with it in this post -- it's the very last story mentioned -- if you want.

2. What is your favorite historical novel?  *clutches at heart*  Why?!  I . . . how can I possibly . . . most of what I read is historical!  So . . . it's a little hard to say.  Two OF my favorite historical novels are Christy by Catherine Marshall and Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson.

3. What is your favorite contemporary novel?  One that I read recently (ish) that I really liked was Dandelion Summer by Lisa Wingate.  I now have two other Wingates on my shelf waiting to be read, and I'm looking forward to them. ;)

4. Which character/book best reflects your personality?  LANDS, these questions shouldn't be so difficult for me, but they are.  I think one that does capture my personality pretty well is Little Women, in fact.  (People who know me well -- do you agree or disagree?)

5. What is your favorite book character of all time?  "You're killing me, Smalls."  I don't know!  Um . . . Faramir is the character that initially jumps to mind, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.  Maybe Beth March??


6. What is your favorite author?  Whew, an easier one.  C.S. Lewis. :)

7. Do you judge a book by it's cover?  Yeah.  Hehe.  That is, if it's a book I've never heard of.  If it's one I know more about, I'm less likely to be influenced by the cover. 

8. Paper books, ebooks or both?  Typically, paper books, but I have to say that my Kindle has been SUUUUUPER helpful for school the past two years, because I've found several of the assigned books for free on there.  And it's really easy to annotate with a Kindle, so that's fun. :D  

9. Have you read a book you didn't like?  Yes.  Probably several, in fact.  (Unlike movies -- there have been very few movies I have disliked.)  *stops to try and come up with some*  Oh, Frankenstein. I DISLIKED THAT BOOK.  Now, granted, the character of The Monster is p.h.e.n.o.m.e.n.a.l., and the writing is pretty good (for a Gothic Romance, which genre of writing I dislike in general), but still.  Victor Frankenstein himself ruined the entire book.  I hated him.  Passionately.  In fact, I could go off on a rant but "I shall restrain myself."  Also most of my American literature course, although I do feel I should re-read most if not all of them now that I've had a few years to "mature." (Ha.)  And Robinson Crusoe.  Do not get me started on Robinson himself.  

10. What is your favorite book villain?  CAPTAIN HOOK.  I wuvs him.  Honorable mentions go to Dom Claude Frollo (at first -- after awhile he just went all crazy-pedophile and became gross) and Javert. (Shout-out to Lia for reminding me.)  I will defend Javert if need be.

What have you been reading recently?
What is your opinion of Javert?


Comments

  1. Little Women is THE BEST!!!! I love that book sooo much! :D :D

    Wow. Nice job on rearranging your bookshelves. It looks great!

    I think it's perfectly understandable that you don't read LotR that often. After all it IS a very long book. I've only ever read it once myself. And the second time I tried reading it I didn't make it all the way through. You have to be in the right mood to tackle that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for answering the tag! My categories are not​ that strict.
    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love LOVE your bookshelves arranged by color. That looks fantastic. So much fun read reading the answers to these tag questions to. As to Javert... I have not read the book or seen the newer movie, so no opinion, except he's played by Russell Crowe, which gives him some automatic points in my book. :-D I might have to steal this tag for the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to Little Women '94. :)

    You bookshelf looks FABULOUS! I tried arranging mine according to color....but I ended up chickening out. I couldn't bear separating series and books by the same author just because of their color. :/ I applaud anyone else who does it, though!!

    This was such a fun post (I would comment on LOTR and Peter Pan and C.S. Lewis, but I feel as if we've covered that before. ;))!

    Well, recently I've been reading the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. If you haven't heard of them, they're super popular YA fantasy/science fiction fairytale retellings. Now, usually I do NOT like YA or science fiction (blegh) but I do have a soft spot for fairytale retellings and I've actually been enjoying these books quite bit. :)

    Javert is a great antagonist. Not my favorite, but still a really good one. I just feel so bad for him....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Javert. Sigh. Can't live with him, can't stuff him in a sack -- that's my opinion of Javert. Except I love his songs in the musical. Especially "Stars." Actually, I find him very sympathetic in the movie version of the musical, mostly thanks to Russell Crowe's sad-puppy eyes that melt my heart whether I want them to or not, no matter what role he's playing.

    I don't like Frankenstein much either. Too much interminable moralizing. But I do like Robinson Crusoe. Stories of people figuring out how to survive on a deserted island are my one weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for answering Olivia!!!

    Captain Hook! Why didn't I think of him! (I've been watching too much Once Upon A Time)

    Agreed, Javert does have some good songs.

    -Lia
    catholicgirlstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. *nods* I think "Little Women" definitely reflects your personality . . . it's a story with a lot of heart, just like you <3

    What am I reading lately? Welllllllllllllllllllll . . . the last fiction book I had time to read was a month ago (*SOBS*), Heidi's "A Flame Shall Spring From the Embers." Which was MARVELOUS. CAN I GET AN AMEN.

    I also read a really compelling biography of Malcolm X last week for school. It actually brought legitimate tears to my eyes--I kid you not. Nonfiction, and it made me cry. *shakes head* He was an amazing person and that you may tie to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to flail over here! :)

    Firstly - yes I love the '94 Little Women!! AMEN. ;)

    Secondly, your arranged-by-color shelves are so preeettttttyyy. *pets them*

    And lastly - you literally just described my exact emotions toward Frankenstein (oh my word, don't even get me started!! He was such a jerk... the monster is noble and sweet and amazing and a better person than Frankenstein, his CREATOR... and if Frankenstein wouldn't have ABANDONED his creation, none of the bad things would have happened!!) and Robinson Crusoe. Ugh. Hate him so much. (It was funny, though. Those two guys are literally my two MOST HATED protagonists EVER and you named both of them! Ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. - LOVE the header <3

    - Am going to see BatB with Rosie this evening and cannot WAIT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, beautiful header, by the way. :)

    And I LOVE that Oscar Wilde quote. <3 <3

    Little Women is SUCH a gem of a book. Amen.

    Ooohh! What a marvelous bookcase! :D I honestly couldn't do that myself - I'm much too particular about organization and categories, but I love to look at others'. ;)

    Lord of the Rings is an incredible story. It's my favourite story. (Not my favourite book, so to speak, nor my favourite movie exactly, just my favourite story.)

    Aww, you don't like Robinson Crusoe?! Haha, that's okay. I've not read the book for many years, but I know my dad loves it. I guess it's what we could call 'a classic' (although I've been terribly startled at how many of my 'non-home schooled friends' have never heard of it!).

    Yes, Captain Hook is one great villain, and I defend Javert too. He's a bit messed up that fellow. (Russel Crowe makes him 10x more pitiful also.) (I'll admit I haven't read the book. Yet.)

    Well, I read a biography of some Christian ladies, and I read the complete LOTR series (for the... 3rd time? 4th time? I can't remember) which was AMAZING GAAAHHH. Now Mum gave me a historical fiction book to read for history (for school, basically) called "Through Many Dangers" about John Newton. :)

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got all the way through Crime and Punishmen!? Wow! I would not be able to do that.

    I love Little Women! Such a wonderful book!!

    The whole Wizard of Oz series is so great!!! You need to read that one!!!

    :O YOUR BOOKSHELF! <3

    I am reading Frankenstein right now (Only one chapter so far), because of all the things I have heard about I a hesitant to read to much. But I promised my sister I would, so.....

    I am really planning (and hoping) to read Peter Pan this year! I am pretty sure Captain Hook will be a favorite!!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. So, I never responded to any of these comments. *facepalm* I'm so sorry, guys. Thank you all so much for your lovely comments! They truly do mean so much to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review