Till We Have Faces Read-Along || Dream Cast


Several months ago, a friend asked me if I'd ever thought about which actors I would cast if I was creating a film version of Till We Have Faces.  At the time, I hadn't.  This book would be very tricky to adapt to the screen, in my opinion, and so I'd never really considered it.  But then I was creating a dream cast for a different book, and it got me in the dream-casting mood, and ideas started rolling in. 😉  So, here goes.

Redival
Hailee Steinfeld

hailee steinfeld on Instagram: “will you love me when my heartbeat stops? -  #afterlife #dickinson”

Trunia
Rafi Gavron

Rafi Gavron

The King
Brendan Fraser

The actor talks about being sexually harassed over a decade ago, and the result of speaking up: “The silence was deafening.”

Batta
Rebecca Front

Rebecca Front --   Front has had a recurring serious role as DCS Innocent on Inspector Lewis, the successor programme to the Inspector Morse series on ITV.

The Priest
James Spader

James Spader and Megan Boone get together for a picture on the red carpet at the Television Academy’s panel discussion for The Blacklist on Wednesday evening (April 2) at Florence Gould Hall in New York City.  The duo were joined at the event by their cast mates Ryan Eggold, Parminder Nagra, Diego Klattenhoff, Harry Lennix, Hisham Tawfiq, and Amir Arison.

Ansit (Bardia's Wife)
Sarah Gadon

Sarah Gadon|Foto: Gtres Online

Bardia
Matthias Schoenaerts

Matthias Schoenaerts Fan on Instagram: “Matthias 💙 - #MatthiasSchoenaerts photographed by John Balsom for #EsquireMagazine - Big Black Book Spring/Summer 2016. - #moviestar…”

Lysias (The Fox)
Paul Bettany

Solo's Paul Bettany Doesn't Believe in Chemistry | GQ

Psyche
Ginny Gardner

I think she’d be a good Marlee

. . . . .

Now, as regards the main character herself.  This was difficult because a major part of the plot revolves around Orual's supposed "ugliness," and the different ways people treat her as a result.  I don't really think that anyone is categorically, objectively, universally ugly (since attraction is empirically a subjective thing).  I'm assuming prosthetics would have to be used, whoever played her.  So I didn't really have much to go off.  In the end I decided to consider different actresses based on their general typecasts.  For the record, I do not think this actress is remotely ugly or unattractive.  But I do think she could bring out Orual's fierceness, her confidence, her general complex essence.

. . . . .

. . . . .

. . . . .

Orual
Aubrey Plaza

Use for hair for painting  reference Aubrey Plaza

Who would you cast in Till We Have Faces?

Comments

  1. Oooh!! Almost everyone looks different than they did in my imagination, but looks great!! :D I'm definitely going to want to do my own take! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do your own! I'd really like to see who you'd cast. :D

      Delete
  2. Wooooow!! Your casting so spot on!! I would love to see this book made into a movie, but it would definitely have to be very very very well made XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! YES, haha. It could go south SO easily. XD

      Delete
  3. I actually never really thought of what this story would/could look like in movie form, which is rare for me, but I'm seriously digging this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Paul Bettany would me amazing as the Fox!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would he not?! Like, I get that he's not quite old enough. But they could easily fix that and he'd be SO good as that character, I think.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, yessss I agree with this!! Brendan Fraser is perfect for The King and Paul Bettany for the Fox!! Yes!! Thank you so much for hosting this read-along, I've had SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And thank you so much for joining the read-along. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. Aubrey Plaza is life. I am 100% in favor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so good!!! I can especially see Redival, The King, Bardia (I kept picturing him as Michiel Huisman, but I think he and Schoenaerts have a kind of similar look), The Fox, and ORUAL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was curious as to what you'd think. Ooh, Huisman would also be good. I agree, they have a similar look.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you did this post!!! 😊

      Delete
  8. Oh my word, you have chosen actors who would be perfect for these roles! The guy for Bardia is what started to convince me, and though I haven't seen Aubrey Plaza in anything I can absolutely see her playing Orual's fierce spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about it, the more I'm sold on Schoenaerts for Bardia. :-P Cool!

      Delete
  9. Redival- I was picturing her blonde, but it's not like I was super invested in her character either way, so I could definitely see this actress as her.
    Trunia-Sure
    The King- Ooooh. Yes. Very good choice.
    Batta-I was picturing someone older/uglier but with appropriate costuming and makeup I could totally see this.
    The Priest-Sure (you can tell which characters I don't really have a "picture" for, or don't care about their casting as much xD)
    Ansit- Okay, but wasn't Ansit supposed to be sort of...unattractive? Sarah Gordon is just so delicate and pretty. Again, with movie magic it could work, but I pictured someone a little more "everyday" looking.
    Bardia- YES. I approve.
    The Fox- Huh. I was picturing him SO differently...but at the same time, I am intrigued by this casting choice.
    Pysche- Sounds good.
    Orual- I've never seen this actress before but I really like this choice, judging by her picture. Like you said, basing it on personality more than looks, I can definitely a potential Orual in her eyes.

    This was fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she would have to be wigged. :-P

      See, that's the thing. For me, I can't quite tell whether that description of Ansit is meant to be accurately indicative of her appearance, or if it's supposed to be seeing her through Orual's jealous eyes, if that makes sense? But idk.

      Thanks!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review