Till We Have Faces Read-Along || Week 2 Recap

Evening, Sun, Sunset, Backlighting, Mood, Twilight, Sky

I perceived now that there is a love deeper than theirs who seek only the happiness of their beloved.

So that took a little longer than expected, didn't it? 😜 Oh, well.  Here I am, better late than never, to recap the past week's reading of Till We Have Faces.  I have less to say at this point, so it'll be briefer than last week's.

Discussion Questions

1.  Psyche is described before her "sacrifice" as being painted and costumed beyond recognition.  Do you see any additional Crucifixion parallels in that?  Why might Lewis incorporate any of those sort of parallels into a character who does not seem meant to be a Christ figure?

2.  Bardia claims that "You see [the King] at his worst with women and priests and politic men.  The truth is, he's half afraid of them."  Why would the King be afraid of them?  Does he recognize some strength in them that he knows he does not possess?

3.  Orual feels it is her duty to squelch any flickers of joy after she is separated from her sister and presumes her dead.  The Bible says we are to grieve with those who grieve.  Does this mean it is wrong to take pleasure in anything (for a period of time) after we have suffered a loss?

4.  Psyche suggests that "people are most ashamed of . . . the things they can't help".  Is this true?


Personal Highlights
  •  The nearest thing we have to a defence against [the gods] . . . is to be very wide awake and sober and hard at work, to hear no music, never to look at earth or sky, and (above all) to love no one.
  •  "To love, and to lose what we love, are equally things appointed for our nature.  If we cannot bear the second well, that evil is ours."
  •  The gods never send us this invitation to delight so readily or so strongly as when they are preparing some new agony.  We are their bubbles; they blow us big before they prick us.
  •  "Don't you think a dream would feel shy if it were seen walking about in the waking world?"

This section has started to ramp up Orual's complaints against the gods (which are so well-written that they make my geeky self very happy).  What do you think about those so far?  Are you psyched (HA!) to find out what happens next? 😉

Since I fell behind, we'll adjust the scheduling a bit.  From now till the 26th, we'll read Part 1 Ch. 15-21.  (The last portion is shorter so it shouldn't be a problem.)

My beloved Daniel Martin - the man who dolls me up like no other, and paints the faces of everyone from Jessica Alba to Emmy Rossum.  I’ve selected my favorite new products that are circulating in my makeup kit that would make great additions into yours this season…” Dior Diorskin Star Foundation This foundation has a beautiful radiant finish, not too matte and not too dewy.  I love this foundation for combination to oily skin types because it feels light, comfortable wear for hours and ...

Thoughts?

Comments

  1. I finished Chapter 21 already!! Eeeek! This week can't pass soon enough.

    3. I would not really have been able to think of an answer to your question before last summer when my Pa passed away. My family and I flew to be with my Granny and extended family. Yes, we grieved and we mourned but we also celebrated his life and our family. It was so good to all be together and thank God for his blessings. We did have fun and I did feel a little guilty going out for ice cream (:P) but life never separates the good from the bad and the joyful from the sorrowful. There is a time and a place for everything and I don’t think we should cast aside all joy in grieving.

    "The nearest thing we have to a defence against [the gods] . . . is to be very wide awake and sober and hard at work..."
    This is actually so true against the devil. Stay alert against temptations and never allow the devil to find your hands idle. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I LOVE the photos you put with the posts! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you've enjoyed it, Sarah!

      I'm sorry about your Pa. <3 That's such a good insight.

      It is interesting how it works both ways: work can either be a defense against Satan or as a distraction from the joy of the Lord.

      Awww, thanks! I'm happy you like them. :)

      Delete
  2. Orual irritated me more than a little in these chapters, but now thinking about what my reaction would be if it were one of MY sisters talking like this I definitely understand her feelings a little bit more even if they still drive me crazy as a mere observer of her story. I'm afraid that sounds horribly stuck up toward her, but... does that make any sense?!?

    Orual's first conversation with Psyche in the gods valley... IT"S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL!

    Two lines that I especially love are:

    "Who can feel ugly when the heart meets delight?"

    and

    "It was shapeless, but you could just hold onto it; or just let it hold onto you. Then the change came."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Personally, I relate so much to Orual that I'm more likely to be annoyed by Psyche. But they both have their "points".

      YESSSSSSS,

      Ugh. It's such a gorgeous book.

      Delete
  3. Woo! I finished week 2's reading tonight!

    1. Definitely -- I was especially seeing parallels when Orual was saying she couldn't recognize Psyche, that she was clothed in things not her own and so on, like them putting the purple robe on Christ to mock him.

    2. People fear what they don't understand. I think the king is a very simple man, lacking subtlety, and so fears them because he doesn't get them.

    3. Orual is very bound by works-righteousness. She seems to feel like mourning is something she MUST do, and if she doesn't, she's betraying Psyche and disobeying... something. I'm so sad for her.

    4. I think it sometimes is true that people get mocked/scorned/slighted most for things they are not necessarily able to control, such as physical looks, mental acuity, foibles, eccentricities, or physical failings. And so they, in turn, feel ashamed of them.

    I really have ZERO idea where this story is going, though I have little suspicions. It's highly cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah!

      1. Exactly, that's what I was thinking.

      2. That's a good point.

      3. *cries* YES. That's so, so true. And I relate so much.

      4. Yes, sadly.

      Ack, what fun!

      Delete
  4. The bubble comparison has really caught my interest, it's so well written! I enjoying this, Olivia! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review