Tolkien Blog Party || Tag

Rachel's ninth annual Tolkien Blog Party is finally here!  I can't wait to celebrate all the Tolkien-y goodness with you guys. 😊  This is one of my favorite weeks of the year, and I count down the days every September. 

I have an Elrond appreciation post coming in a few days, and I'm still deciding whether I'll cap it at that or whip up a few shorter posts just for fun before the week runs out.  We'll see. 😉

For now, here are my answers to the tag!  Utilizing this gorgeous series of Tumblr aesthetics has become a tradition for me when filling out this tag, and since this year's questions are themed around each of the Nine Companions, I'll use the corresponding character collages for each of my answers.  (Which still leaves me with plenty of new ones to use for future parties, without recycling the ones I've already featured!  Happy fangirl over here.)


1. Aragorn: Favorite Tolkien hero/heroine

Say it with me, now:

F a r a m i r . 

Faramir, my boy.  My good and noble man. ♥

(And my favorite heroine is Arwen, by the way.)


2. Boromir: Favorite Tolkien character arc

I really love seeing Merry and Pippin come into their own.  They've always been good, they've always been loyal, they've always been kind and decent.  But participating in the Fellowship gives them the opportunity to grow into the heroism that has always been latent in their souls.   It broadens their view of the world; and, while I think that they've always known how to be serious when the occasion calls for it, their journey teaches them how to respond in a practical sense when they find themselves in serious situations.


3. Frodo: Favorite song or poem by Tolkien

In Western lands beneath the Sun
the flowers may rise in Spring,
the trees may bud, the waters run,
the merry finches sing.
Or there maybe 'tis cloudless night
and swaying beeches bear
the Elven-stars as jewels white
amid their branching hair.

Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
The Return of the King


4. Gandalf: Favorite wise Tolkien quotation

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."
The Fellowship of the Ring

 


5. Gimli: A Middle-earth location you'd like to visit

ITHILIEN.

I love Ithilien so much.  It's my favorite Middle-earth location, but Rivendell is such a close second.  I would be thrilled to visit either of those. 

I also adore the Withywindle valley and would love to get to see it.  Lothlorien would be beautiful, too.


6. Legolas: Favorite Middle-earth Weapon

I'm gonna level with you:  I don't care about the weapons.  But I do like Anduril, for all of its narrative significance.  And Gandalf's staff, if that can be counted as a weapon.


7. Merry: Favorite way to celebrate Tolkien's stories

Usually by watching the movies.  Occasionally by reading the books.  I've been re-watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy this past month or so, taking it slow.  I'm really enjoying spending these bite-sized chunks of time in the Tolkien universe, so I'm thinking I may reread the books once I finish this viewing, and then watch the movies all over again.  It would make for a very cozy autumn and winter. ♥  But we shall see. 


8. Pippin: Favorite funny Tolkien quotation

“What d'you want to go and find a dragon for, at this time of year, and me with my hands full?”
Farmer Giles of Ham


9. Samwise: A Middle-earth food you'd like to try

To be honest, I can't think of a specific food mentioned in the books or movies that really stands out to me.  But I think I would enjoy eating in Goldberry's or Beorn's homes.  I imagine both would involve berries and honey-cakes and other woodland-inspired dishes.  I'm down. 😍



As always, such a fun tag.  Be sure to check out Rachel's blog to join in the festivities!  I'll be back soon with more Middle-earth merriment of my own. 😉

Comments

  1. ELROND APPRECIATION POST??????!!!!!!

    YESSSSSSSSSS.

    I'm talking about him in one of my posts for this week--he deserves allll the appreciation!

    And fun answers!! I enjoyed reading through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS MAKING ME SO HAPPY TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLE APPRECIATE ELROND!!! He's such a good guy. Can't wait to read what you write on him!

      And thanks!

      Delete
    2. I know his character was sterner and ?angrier? in the movies, but even then I really do 'get' him and like him. He's losing his daughter for all of eternity! :*( But in the books and all the lore and stuff, he's even better. <3 So kind and gracious, such a warm, welcoming host. *fangirls*

      Delete
    3. Exactly! He's fantastic in both books and movies. <3333

      Delete
  2. I love that your favorite character arc is Merry & Pippin's! They do really each have a lot of growth, and I think that is underrealized/underrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! I like how we get to see a bit of their maturation process.

      Delete
  3. Tolkien wrote some really smashing poetry, didn't he?

    I love that line, "I will not say the day is done, nor bid the stars farewell."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly did, he certainly did. *nods*

      Same, girl, same. <3

      Delete
  4. Faramir! Yes! I loved him in the books and movie! Having to choose a favorite hero is impossible when 95% of the characters are all heroes/heroines.

    I agree about Merry and Pippin. They did have really excellent story arcs, however, after reading the books, I feel like the movies really did them both a disservice, especially with Pippin. He was infinitely more intelligent in the books than how he was presented in the films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, exactly! Faramir has always been and I suspect will always be my top favorite, but they're all wonderful.

      You know, I get what you mean: I don't mind what the movies did with Merry and Pippin, but I'm rereading the books for the first time in a while right now, myself, and I'm definitely noticing how much more maturity both of them have in the books, from the very beginning.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I like how you are doing the movies. I think way back in my preteen/early teens that is how my dad had us watch the movies. I think I should do that some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm used to big family marathons with the movies, so watching them in bits and pieces by myself is different -- but I'm surprised how gratifying I find it!

      Delete
  6. Oh. My. Word. These collages are breathtaking and bring me of feeling of such happiness and calm. :) Tolkien is a amazing poet which I feel is a bit of a secret to those poor unfortunate souls who have not read the books, hehe. Also I love that you mention the growth of Merry and Pippin, thought you'd mention Boromir, not gonna lie. :D And Arwen is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! These collages are literally one of my favorite things. They bring me so much peace and joy and satisfaction every year.

      Haha, actually, fun fact! I specifically didn't use Boromir as my answer to that question because I decided to use the "character arc" prompt to address characters who I thought changed substantially in some way from the way they were at the beginning of the story to the way they were at the end of it. And I actually . . . don't think Boromir changes "substantially" from beginning to end? He is amazing and wonderful and one of my favorites, but I don't see his character as changing, necessarily, even over the course of his "fall" and "redemption". I think he stays pretty much the same (good) guy. But anyway that's a rabbit trail haha.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review