Legends of Western Cinema Week || Kick-Off + Tag

Let the shenanigans commence!  Today marks the beginning of this year's Legends of Western Cinema Week.  I hope you're as excited as Rachel and Heidi and I!  

As usual, let's start off with a bang by participating in the tag.


⸻  

First, this year's questions, for your copying ease:

1) Favorite western focused on a lone hero?
2) Favorite western focused on a group of compadres?
3) Favorite western with a female main character?
4) Favorite western with a POC main character?
5) Favorite western with kids in it?
6) Favorite western set somewhere other than the United States?
7) Favorite "western" that doesn't fit the genre's dictionary definition?
8) Favorite funny western?
9) Favorite tragic/sad western?
10) Favorite western TV show?


Next, my answers!  Obviously, there would be some overlap between these questions if I were answering each of them individually, but the set-up of this year's tag is really geared toward sharing a different favorite each time, so that's what I'm going to do. 😉

1) Favorite Western focused on a lone hero?

This isn't a perfect fit, but I'm going to go with The Big CountryI tend to think of "lone heroes" as the ones who are explicitly portrayed as — well, loners.  And Jim McKay (the hero of TBC) is not necessarily a loner.  However, the film does very deliberately depict him as unique and idealistically isolated within his peer group, so . . . that works as an interpretation, right? 


2) Favorite Western focused on a group of compadres?

I will never not love the found family that is Broken Trail (2006), but I'm also excessively fond of everyone in The Magnificent Seven (1960), and their camaraderie makes me feel very soft and happy whenever I think of it.  


3) Favorite Western with a female main character?

Do unpublished manuscripts count?  Because, if so, probably Katie Hanna's Water Horse. 😉  *EDIT*  Also, also!  I keep forgetting about Rae Carson's marvelous Gold Seer trilogy.  Hanna and Carson are really doing the Lord's work with these Western fantasy series.

From the film sphere, it would be Jane Got a Gun (2015), which I reviewed for last year's party.


4) Favorite Western with a POC main character?

I expect this may change once I watch The Harder They Fall (2021), but as of now, it's Sweet Country (2017).  Watch out for a mini review sometime this week.


5) Favorite Western with kids in it?

The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975) all the way.  A childhood staple that, most appropriately, centers on three widdle kids.


6) Favorite Western set somewhere other than the United States?

Quigley Down Under (1990)!  It takes place in the Australian Outback and it is wonderful.  Frabjous, frabjous, frabjous film. *hugs it*


7) Favorite "Western" that doesn't fit the genre's dictionary definition?

According to Merriam-Webster, a Western is defined as "a novel, story, motion picture, or broadcast dealing with life in the western U.S. especially during the latter half of the 19th century".  So, technically, my non-American-set Westerns like Quigley Down Under and Hidalgo "don't fit".

However, I'm thinking more of those stories that don't really fit the traditional thematic structure that you think of when you think of a Western (sweeping justice conflicts playing out in wide, arid climates, etc.), but that do have a Western setting or a general Western aesthetic.  And of those kinds of stories, my favorite is probably Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954). 😂  It's set in the Northwest and has the same pioneer-esque, vaguely Western vibe as Love Comes Softly and others of a similar ilk.


8) Favorite funny Western?

Rango (2011).  An absolute masterpiece of comedic genius.  Do yourself a favor and watch it immediately.


9) Favorite tragic/sad Western?

I'm actually struggling to think of any Western I've watched that I would term a genuine tragedy other than Sweet Country (2017) and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) — and I even waver on whether or not TMWSLV should make the cut(I watch lots of Westerns with heavily tragic components, but, for me, a film has to end pretty tragically for me to give it the label.  Hence why Hostiles (2017), though it is undeniably tragic, doesn't make the cut.)  

Regardless, I love The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)  — or, at least, I did when I last watched it — and it definitely makes me sad 😅, so it'll work for this question.


10) Favorite Western TV show?

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman!  (It also happens to be the only remotely Western TV show I've watched, hehe.  But, to be honest, I'm guessing that it would be my favorite anyway since I'm not personally intrigued by any of the other Western TV shows I've heard about.)



Finally, this year's link-up widget!  Be sure to return to this post, Heidi's or Rachel's throughout the week, so that you can submit your links and everyone can read your contributions!


Comments

  1. Katie's Water Horse??? YES PLEASE. (I had the privilege of reading a draft as well, and I looove it.)

    This week is going to be so much fun! And reading your tag answers was great. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. The world needs it!

      It certainly will! And thank you. ;) <3 I enjoyed reading yours, too!

      Delete
  2. Don't mind me just casually sobbing over here.

    YOU GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYS, STAAAAAAAHHHP

    I promise I am working towards getting Water Horse published. Pinky swear... I am working on it. ;) Going to Realm Makers last week was the "kick in the pants" I needed to finally start pursuing publication in earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally watched JANE GOT A GUN recently per your review and it IS SOOOO GOOD. Everyone was perfect for the roles and while it was somewhat horrifying at times xD, I really did like the ending. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, so glad you liked it, CC! I agree, the ending was very satisfying. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I think The Big Country works for the loner category because Jim McKay is left to his own devices, deliberately does things by himself when others aren't around to watch, and does not rely on those around him to get him out of scrapes.

    "Very soft and happy" is exactly how you ought to feel when thinking of Mag7.

    I just picked up a copy of Jane Got a Gun recently and hope to watch it soon.

    I am still wavering between The Apple Dumpling Gang and Shane for my choice on the kid question. TADG has long been one of my favorites!

    I have been listening to the Quigley Down Under soundtrack on heavy repeat while writing My Rock and My Refuge. It has precisely the vibe I need.

    Rango is such a wacky blast!

    I was a devoted DQMW fan when I was a teen. As in, I was a member of the official fan club, I wrote fan letters to the stars, everything. One of these days, I'm going to crack open my DVD collection and rewatch the whole series and just glory in it. The short-lived '90s TV show The Magificent Seven has a very, very similar feel and aesthetic, if you ever want to try something that's not exactly the same, but not very different either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! TBC does highlight Jim's deliberate independence a lot, so I guess that does play into the loner aspect.

      Isn't it, though? What a wonderful, soft movie. I love it dearly.

      Ooh, yay! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on JGaG.

      Ahh, I remember that! I'm getting so excited about MRAMR, to be honest. *waits impatiently for fall*

      It really is!

      That is fantastic. Did you ever get any responses to your fan letters? Do you still have any official fan club "merch"? I need details, lol! And same here: I've been thinking lately that I really ought to rewatch it.

      Ooh, interesting. And doesn't that TV version of The Mag7 have Dale Midkiff in it? I think I'd get a kick out of seeing a younger him in a genuine Western.

      Delete
    2. I did get responses to my fan letters! I got fan club facsimile autographed photos of all the principal characters, and I got actual autographed photos back from a couple of the regulars, like Orson Bean :-o Pretty sure I still have my official DQMW mug, but it got a crack in it years ago and doesn't work for drinking anymore. And a framed photo of Mike and Sully and the kids all together :-) I should have thought to pull those out when you were here! Next visit.

      Yes, Dale Midkiff is one of the Seven in that version of Mag7! He's actually DKoren's favorite character on it.

      Delete
    3. What fun! Shoot, yes, I should've thought to ask -- next visit for sure!

      Ahhh, that's right. I thought I remembered one of you being pretty fond of him in that role, but I couldn't remember which one.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, Eric Close as Vin Tanner is my favorite in that version of Mag7. And we both love Michael Biehn as Chris Larabee second-best.

      Delete
  5. I swear I'm not trying to copy other people's comments every time I come on your blog, even though it seems like it. XD But seriously, "their camaraderie makes me feel very soft and happy whenever I think of it." is exactly how I feel about Mag7, too.

    Apple Dumpling Gang has been on my radar for literal YEARS, yet I haven't watched it yet. One of these days!

    Also, I have wanted to watch Quigley Down Under for ages. So, my dad and sister watched it without me the day I left for college. That's what I get for going into the big world. XD

    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance has a special place in my heart as my all time favorite western. <3 Maybe I shouldn't love tragic movies as much as I do...what does this say about my personality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, it didn't seem like that to me! xD Yes, Mag7 is precious. *hugs it*

      Ahhh, The Apple Dumpling Gang is hilarious!

      HA, that's terrible. xD I'm so sorry, lol! You'll have to watch it one of these days!

      I remember loving it a lot. <33

      Delete
  6. I was too overwhelmed with stuff when this event started, but I skimmed a few things and have now started on a Western kick (I think it's taken me a few years and a few films and just mood/whims to get me interested). So I've gone through all the posts and added more to my list to watch during the rest of the summer since Westerns are one of my summer theme genres. Ever since last year or so when I started watching Darling Desi videos on youtube I've been trying to follow seasonal trends in books and movies and such to really appreciate the season and add variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love that idea! I definitely associate Westerns with summer over any other season. Glad the party could give you some recs!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review