Literary Heroine Blog Party

I'm participating in two blog events at once!  Whaaat.  So, anyway, Kellie Falconer is hosting her (apparently annual) Literary Heroine Blog Party at Accordion To Kellie:D

It was so hard to choose from the buttons she provided!!

I was alerted to the fact that this fun little shindig was going on over at Naomi's blog (read her answers to the questionnaire here).  I'm thrilled to be participating!

Here are my answers to the questions Kellie is asking:

(Oh, and a note:  I'm going to try my very best to refrain from mentioning LotR people in the character questions.  Aren't you proud of me?)

1.  Introduce yourself!  Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!  Okie dokie!  Hi, I'd love it if you called me Arwen (Arwen is a perfectly elegant name xD ).  I'm a girl totally and completely in love with stories in any form.  I'm also -- infinitely more important -- a Christian, muddling through life with an unfailingly patient and loving Guide!;)  As I said, stories in any way--particularly historical fiction, legends, and a little bit of fantasy.  Dislikes?  Hmm.  I have very strong words to say to certain fictional characters, I guess you could say.  Random:  The desktop picture on our family computer is Robert Duvall playing Prentice Ritter from Broken Trail…a movie with which I happen to be hopelessly in love.  

2.  What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?  Well, as Naomi mentioned, having a heart that's "in the right place" is paramount.  Also, I'd say, a heroine is not perfect (did you hear that, Martha Finley?  Ha.  We'll get to you later)--she is flawed, but she recognizes her mistakes and strives to right them.  Also, a certain independence of spirit would be desirable.  

3.  Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.  Sheesh.  Okay, I'll try.  Rebecca from Ivanhoe, Molly Gibson from Wives and Daughters, Rose Campell from Rose in Bloom, and Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre.  There are many, many others, needless to say, but these are a few that I particularly admire.  Rebecca because…Rebecca.  I mean, talk about strength of will and courage!  Whew.  Molly Gibson is special to me because she's such a sweetheart, but she's not a wimp, and she doesn't let people walk all over her, like some *ahem* heroines I could mention.  Plus, I have an inkling that I'm a little like her in some ways, which makes me beyond happy:D  Rose is just a lovely role model--she makes mistakes, but she learns from them.  I think she's probably the most relatable for most of us Christian young women.  And then, Jane, because…again, strength.  If I were to try to sum up her character in two words, they'd probably be "quietly indomitable."  I could go into that more, but at the moment I'm not going to, for time's sake.

4.  Five of your favorite historical novels?  Ivanhoe, Hattie Big SkyLittle Women, The Book Thief, and Bleak House.  Whew.  That was tough.  At least the question was, "five OF your favorite…"  If it had been, "your concrete five favorite historical novels"…we'd be here for a while, with me trying to narrow it down!:)

5.  Out of those five books who is your favorite major character and why?  That's tough…I'd have to go with either Hattie Brooks or Rudy Steiner *SOB*

6.  Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why?  Perhaps Chase Mueller, from Hattie Big Sky.  I love Chase; he's so adorable:D  

7.  If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there?  There's this cabin that we've visited once before, and that was quite enjoyable.  It was a bit big to be classified as a cabin, but the idea was the same;)  I might choose to go back there for a while, and explore some of the surrounding area.  If we're talking internationally…New Zealand.  (Oops, I brought up LotR!)  Alaska would be fun to visit, as well.  I'd absolutely love to see the Northern Lights.  Oh, and Prince Edward Island, of course!

8.  What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?  I think that'd be late 1700's to middle 1800's.  I'm also beginning to return to an old love of medieval tales.  Robin Hood!  Ivanoe!  All the feels!;)

9.  You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert.  Singing, comedy, recitation, tap dancing…What is your act comprised of?  I'd like to do something in a group, most likely--probably singing, comedy, or acting.  Perhaps the piano.  I'd just have to see:D

10.  If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?  Probably Molly Gibson.

11.  Favorite author(s)?  I'm so very glad you asked;)  C. S. Lewis, Louisa May Alcott, Elizabeth Gaskell, J. R. R. Tolkien (what?  I can't help it; she did ask!), and Sir Walter Scott (granted, I've only read Ivanhoe, but I really, REALLY want to read "The Lady of the Lake").  Also, John R. Erickson and Brian Jacques, for old times' sake.

12.  In which century were most of the books you read written?  I think the majority of the books I read were written either in the 19th or the early 20th centuries.

13.  In your opinion, the ultimate hero in all literature is… *Arwen's fingers itch to type out the name, but she restrains herself*  Since I've said I won't bring LotR characters into this, I'll have to think on it for a while.  *chews imaginary pencil*  I love, as you all know, John Thornton, but is he quite the ultimate hero in my opinion?  Hmm.  I can't decide, but I'll mention a few candidates:
~ Rudy Steiner
~ Mac Campbell
~ Allan Woodcourt
~ Jace Buckley 

14.  In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is… Ha.  Ha, ha.  Horace Dinsmore, Jr. (don't even get me started…), those people in Ivanhoe (NOT Brian Bois-Guilbert), Roger Chillingworth (I kind of like him, but he is pretty dastardly), etc. and so on…Oh, OH!  Madame Defarge.  I. Hate. That. Woman.

15.  Describe your ideal dwelling place.  I'm not that particular…but nice cottage are, of course, wonderful:D  I mean, the kinds that are old-fashioned on the outside, but renovated with certain modern conveniences, like electricity.

16.  Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence.  Give me comfort, or give me death!  Ha, no, not quite that extreme, but to be honest, my first concern with clothing (other than ensuring that it's modest, of course) is comfort and wearability.

17.  Three favorite Non-fiction books?  Other than the Bible, I assume?  Mere Christianity, Perfectly Unique, and The Hiding Place, I suppose.

18.  Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer day?  Reading, catching up with the blogosphere, movies/tv show…maybe going outside for a little walkabout.  Maybe shopping.

19.  Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character.  I'm not at the pleasure of understanding you a bit confused, but…I like beanie hats, truthfully;)

20.  Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year.  A couple different events, but they are of such a nature that I should rather not disclose them here.  For security reasons, and such.  Oh, but I made my blog public!  That was big, and it's opened doors for me to meet so many wonderful peeps. *smiles and hugs all the Internet buddies*  

21.  Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.  Verses about God's faithfulness and protection; Jeremiah 29:11; Psalm 34; etc.


Well, that was quite fun!  Thanks, Kellie, for hosting!:D






Comments

  1. I like that: "Give me comfort of give me death!" :)

    You like some good books, Ivanhoe, The Book Thief,Bleak House!

    Glad to have found your blog through this Blog Party. I happen to love LOTR and look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I'm still trying to figure out my "fashion sense":P ;)

      YESS! I love those books so much!

      Thank you so much for stopping by! Eeep another LotR lover!!!=D

      Delete
  2. Hee hee, I'm amused by your efforts to leave Middle Earth out of your answers :-) I didn't even bother trying to -- I have several that involve it, directly or indirectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes; the struggle is real!;) I wanted sooo badly to respond with Faramir when the "ultimate hero" question came up... Ooh, you've done it? I want to see!! I'll hop over to check it out!:D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That's right, you've lived in Alaska, haven't you? Lucky thing! I'd love to visit:D

      Delete
  4. Thoroughly enjoyed reading through your answers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fun read. :) Your favorite heroine descriptions were neat. I quite like Molly Gibson from seeing the movie, but our library doesn't have the books I haven't read the book yet...time to scour the used bookstores!
    Also, after reading the first two Elsie Dinsmore books when I was little, my Mom and I were also dismayed. Elsie is portrayed as being the perfect little girl, and sort of a self-inflicting martyr. ;) I just read Mildred Keith, and it's a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I haven't finished the book Wives and Daughters yet, but I've watched the movie and read a little bit of the book (I'll finish it eventually), so I figured I could list her;) Isn't it terrible when the library doesn't have a book you need? It's interesting that you mentioned that, and used bookstores, because I just recently found a book at a thrift store that was unavailable elsewhere:D
      The Elsie Dinsmore series is...scarring. I've read the majority of the original books, and - wow. I honestly don't know why I finished them. I guess there's a part of me that likes the stories in spite of the dreadful characters. I like the Life of Faith editions better, as they change some of the characters to be better and easier to stomach:D Yes, I agree, Mildred Keith was better. At least she had some spirit to her. Elsie, dear, there's a difference between obeying the biblical command to honor your father and letting a sleazy tyrant walk all over you. Sorry, but it's true.
      Anyway, long reply, but thanks so much for commenting!:D

      Delete
    2. Ooh, well I'm sure you're enjoying the book. :D I'll try to read it this year and if Kellie does another blog party I can officially add it. ;)
      You're welcome for the comment! Thanks for yours. :)

      Delete
  6. I love your answers! I think that we have a fair amount in common. :)
    And your blog header!!!! Might I say I adore it?!?!??! Some of my favorite movies right there. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/02/literary-heroine-blog-party-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad, and I hope so--I love meeting fellow fangirls!:D

      Eeeep thank you! I was hoping people would recognize those movies. I was pretty confident everyone knew Star Wars and Roman Holiday, but I'm not sure how many people know The Philadelphia story, so I wanted to throw in a little shout-out on my header;D Thanks for such a sweet comment!

      Delete
  7. Good job try trying to keep LOTR out of the post. LOTR references have a habit of popping up everywhere unexpectedly, now don't they?Tolkien is just too quotable. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do! He is, he really is. Thanks so much for commenting!:D

      Delete
  8. We have a lot of the same heroines.... I particularly love Rose and Jane Eyre and Molly is so sweet! I've actually read quite a bit of Scott (he really *sticks* with you, doesn't he?), but not the Lady of the Lake yet. :)

    Very fun answers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love all those heroines:) Oh, lucky! I'm looking forward to reading more from him--he IS definitely one that grabs hold of you.

      Delete
  9. I had to scroll to the bottom immediately to comment because....you love Hattie Big Sky too!!!! *grins ridiculously* That's one of my faaaavorite, favorite childhood books. LOVE it. So well-written and so dear to my heart. Awww.

    Horace Dinsmore can definitely be categorized as a villain, as far as I'm concerned. Yuck. Detest the man.

    Great answers! Isn't this a fun tag? ;-P

    ~Emma

    P.S. You have a picture from Calamity Jane on your sidebar! I like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Hattie Big Sky is amazing! It's such a sweet and simple story, with such great characters!

      Ugh. Dinsmore. I get a bit visceral when discussing that little worm…

      Thanks! Yes, I had a blast:D

      Calamity Jane! <3

      Delete
  10. Ah, isn't John Thornton just amazing?! I love him so much and he got a mention or two in my answers as well. :D And Mere Christianity? I love that one too. It always makes me think!

    Fun answers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, John Thornton! Those who don't like him clearly don't really "get" him. At least, that's what it seems like;) I love Mere Christianity. It's so challenging and encouraging:D Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  11. Aww!! Molly Gibson is so sweet and I have truly come to love her character, especially how she is such a good daughter - loyal and adoring!
    And I must say - your blog header is gorgeous!
    Hugs to you and thank you for visiting my blog - so kind of you!
    Love, Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love Molly Gibson!
      Why, thank you, dear:D

      Delete
  12. Sorry this is a late-ish comment!
    Love your favorite heroines answer! I have yet to read Rose in Bloom, but I have read Eight Cousins.
    Ahhh, another person who wants to travel to PEI!!! So one of my dream trips. :)
    Haha, which LOTR character was going to be your ultimate hero? I don't mind how much you speak of it. :) Allan Woodcourt! Love him! (although I have yet to read the book. Have you seen the 2006 BBC version of Bleak House? It's amaaaazzzinnng.)
    Oh yes, Madame Defarge, She's SO evil!!
    Bahaha, I'm "not at the pleasure of understanding you-a bit confused". heehee. That made me smile.
    Loved reading your answers! Now I'm off to look at your RH season 2 review! -sob-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm glad you did, at any rate:D
      Thanks! Oh, you should read "Rose in Bloom"! 'T'is SUCH a sweet story:)
      Yes! It's so beautiful, I'd really enjoy going...
      Hahaha that would be a guy named Faramir:D Aww, thanks;) Allan Woodcourt is amazing!!!! Yes, you should read it! About the movie--hem, that's actually an interesting story: so I got it from the library, and then the discs started acting up, so we were only able to watch about a third, maybe a half of the movie! I had to fill in the gaps for my parents because I'd read the book, but it was SOO frustrating! I'm really hoping to find another copy soon that actually works so we can actually watch the whole thing! I actually reviewed both the book and the movie--well, as much as I could, due to my patchwork viewing of it:D
      Madame Defarge...ugh. I even started out liking her, and then as the book went on I was like, "Wait, NO!" *shudders*
      Thanks so much for commenting!:D

      Delete
    2. Haha, I was wondering which LOTR guy it would be....everyone loves Faramir, don't they? I can't wait to read the rest of the books....I've only read Fellowship.
      Oh, that's so frustrating! I hope you can get a "good" copy sometime! It's such a great movie.
      Hahaha, "wait-NO!" is right!" :P Heehee. I wish they'd do a new Little Dorrit/Bleak House type version of ATOTC. I love that story so much.
      I have seen the Ronald Coleman version though and he IS Sydney Carton. He's just so good. Have you seen it?

      Delete
    3. Heehee, well, I WISH everyone loved Faramir. Unfortunately, the movies kind of - cough cough - have a scene that's not even in the books, and it can make people dislike him. Which is perfectly understandable, but frustrating since it's not in the books;D
      Yes, it was! Grrr. Thanks, so do I, because I did love what I saw:)
      Heehee, yep. *gasp* YES WHY IS THAT NOT A THING?!?!?! I saw a "dream cast" blog post for ATOTC once, and Tom Hiddleston was the person's pick for Sydney Carton, so…I sort of read the book thinking how awesome it'd be if he was cast in a new movie adaptation;)
      No, I haven't seen that one, but I should check it out!:D

      Delete
    4. I think I saw the same dream cast!! And YES. Oh my. Tom Hiddleston would be....the most perfect....amazing....I can't even wrap my mind around how A Tale of Two Cities would be complete if he played Sydney Carton. And was Charles Darnay played by JJ Field in the dream cast? I don't have a perfect pick for Lucy though...hmm..

      Delete
    5. I also saw a dream cast with Helena Bonham Carter as Madame Defarge and I was like, "YES." :)

      Delete
    6. YES!!! Would he not be perfection itself as Sydney?! And yeah, J. J. Field as Charles...I can't. TOO PERFECT. I think the dream cast had that girl who played Sophie in Cranford (Kimberly Nixon, I think) as Lucie, and I think she'd be great!:)
      Ooh...Helena Bonham Carter...yes;)

      Delete
    7. We need this dream cast to come to life. We REALLY need it. :D

      Delete
  13. I, too, also like the idea of living on the countryside, but with modern necessities. Pretty name, Arwen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wouldn't it be lovely?:) Haha, thank you:D

      Delete
  14. Enjoyed your answers
    I completely agree with your definition of a heroine, well said..
    Ivanhoe!! You gave me quite a nostalgia flashback - I had completely forgotten how much I loved this book, and Rebecca of course.....Now I have to go read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Ah, I love that book! Hearts forever:)

      Delete
  15. My sister and I have been watching bits and snatches of W&D's and I have now begun to fall in love with the story all over again!

    Ah yes, Rebecca! Her gentle strength and bravery of character is AMAZING!

    "Quietly indomitable" - Love that description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it such a sweet, beautiful story?:D

      Rebecca is a stunning character! (I'm so glad you're enjoying the book, by the way!)

      Why, thank you:D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review