The First Game Hosted By Yours Truly

Guys, I'm gonna take a risk and attempt to hold a small game here.  I've never done this before, so bear with me.

I'll call this the "First Line Game"-- I'll list the first lines of a number of books, and see how well-read you all are. *winkwink*

I'll try to mix up the difficulty level--some fairly well-known books, and some less-talked about books.  

*in Capricorn's voice*  Let's give it a whirl.

#1:  "In that pleasant district of merry England which is watered by the river Don, there extended in ancient times a large forest, covering the greater part of the beautiful hills and valleys which lie between Sheffield and the pleasant town of Doncaster."

#2.  "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day."

#3.  "First the colors.  Then the humans." (Okay, for that one I did the first two lines,  because--well, for obvious reasons.)

#4.  "All children, except one, grow up."

#5.  "This story begins within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse."

#6.  "In the year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne."

#7.  "The year that [blank] was born, the most beautiful woman in the world was a French scullery maid named Annette."

#8.  "London.  Michaelmas term lately over, and The Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn Hall."  (Same issue as with #3.)

#9.  "The morning sun shone brightly on the canvas of the covered wagon, promising an unseasonably warm day for mid-October."

#10.  "When he was thirteen, my brother [blank] got his arm badly broken at the elbow."

Hope you guys like it and will participate!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried commenting the answers, but since you don't have comment moderation enabled it showed up on the blog - I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I've never done a game before on my own blog, but I'm pretty sure that's how people usually do it, just don't publish the submitted comments with answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good thinking. Thanks for deleting that comment; I'll keep your score in my head and enable comment moderation tomorrow. And thanks for the compliment about my new blog design! I quite like it myself:D

      Delete
    2. So you were able to see my comment? I wasn't sure if I needed to send it again...

      Delete
    3. URGH! I accidentally deleted that last comment you made…in response to it, yes, Blogger sent your answers to me anyway, so I've got them locked away in the steel trap of my mind;)

      Delete
  3. Yikes! I don't recognize a single one. But I love reading first lines, so this was fun anyway! Looking forward to seeing what the answers are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I don't think I could recognize all of them either:-P

      Delete
  4. I do not really know enough to participate! I think I only knew maybe 3, and I am pretty sure I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! Like I was telling DKoren, I don't think I'd do that well with such a game either:-P

      Delete
  5. Are Peter Pan, and The Tale of Despereaux the answers to any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!

    I should know #2 but don't, and will kick myself when you reveal it. I feel like I've read it recently.
    #4 is "Peter Pan"
    #5 is "The Tale of Despereaux"
    #7 is "The Princess Bride"
    #10 is "To Kill a Mockingbird"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here are the ones I know or am guessing:
    3- The Book Thief
    4- Peter Pan
    5-The tale of Despereaux
    6-Lés Miserables
    7- War and Peace
    10- My Brother Sam is Dead
    Thanks for introducing this game! I love your new blog format! I have been reading this blog for a good while but never commented (I'm not really the type). I really appreciate this blog and I am so sorry for the length of this comment. ~ Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Patricia! I'm not publishing your comment, because I don't want to publish the guesses until I post the answers and the results, but I just wanted to say: THANK YOU so much for your comment! It really made my day to know that you've been reading and enjoying my blog for some time!:D And how you said you really appreciate it, made me really happy! And don't worry about not commenting; I read several blogs for a long while before I commented, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, thanks to everyone else who's submitted guesses! I'm really happy that so many of you have replied, even if with only a few guesses. It's been very encouraging!:D I'll publish your comments and guesses when I post the answers (probably this coming Sunday).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Seriously. I'd be so happy if you commented. :)

I've gotten really bad about replying in a timely manner, but it's always my intention to do so eventually. (Even though it doesn't always happen. ;))

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Month in Review {February 2018}

Ivanhoe (1997) movie review

BBC Robin Hood TV Series, Season 1 Review